Volkswagen ID Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
46 Posts
In Situation #1 the doors will all unlock and pulling on the handle won't active the locks again.

In Situation #2 the doors can be unlocked via the front switch or FOB even if the child pulls the handle and inadvertently locks the door.
So, we know that the accident response system deactivates the child locks? What if the driver was the cause of the wreck (heart ache, etc) would you expect a small child to know to press/ reach the unlock button up front or find/reach the keys when they obviously can't be trusted not to open a car door while it is moving? Would a first responder think to press the unlock button up front? If the system deactives childlock in a crash sequence then I am happy. However, if it does not the child can still be locked in and lock someone out after the crash by pulling the handle from the inside.

·
2021 1st
476 Posts
So, we know that the accident response system deactivates the child locks? What if the driver was the cause of the wreck (heart ache, etc) would you expect a small child to know to press/ reach the unlock button up front or find/reach the keys when they obviously can't be trusted not to open a car door while it is moving? Would a first responder think to press the unlock button up front? If the system deactives childlock in a crash sequence then I am happy. However, if it does not the child can still be locked in and lock someone out after the crash by pulling the handle from the inside.
I have a 2 and 4 year old so I'm not dismissing your concerns. I would like to know what the dealership tells you in regards to why the outer handles lock when the internal ones are pulled--but I'm not concerned about my children's safety.

First responders will break the windows immediately if they meet any resistance. They have tools to do this within seconds of arriving on scene. Unless you are envisioning a driver who becomes incapacitated and slowly drifts over to the side of the road, in which case a child is going to be safer inside the vehicle until help arrives, the accident response will activate and unlock the doors. I don't know all the analyses the system evaluates but the vehicles have force sensors, airbags, and crumple zones that will all trigger the system upon impact.

My wife was on the LA freeway last year in our 2015 GSW. It was raining and she was dead stopped in traffic. A kid was swerving in and out of traffic and came out from behind a semi directly into the rear of our vehicle (according to the truck driver's and his passenger's statements) at 70+ mph. The truck driver went to the windows to make sure everyone was ok but did not open any doors. My wife came to with VW telling her that they had detected a crash and were notifying emergency services. She says it was calming and helped her. We no longer had the roadside assistance in effect so I was surprised that service was still active--apparently it's part of the vehicle regardless of subscription status. None of the airbags activated but the child safety locks did disengage. I can't remember what the gforces she was struck at, but our attorney did say it was significant once they recovered the back box.

My wife and both children are both fine today. I have no questions in regards to VW's safety and do not hesitate to recommend it to other parents.

·
9 Posts
Thnkas, good idea. Hope it stays short!

·
46 Posts
I agree, I do trust VW's safety reputation. I have a 5 yr old. We have never used the childlocks in our sportwagen with him because he couldn't reach when seatbelted and now knows that it is really unsafe to open door in moving cars. But, I lock the window on him alllll the time!! Nothing worse than highway speeds with a back window open creating buffeting! So, I used the childlock on him in this car because the windows/doors go together. VW is already tracking my concern and my dealership will be checking it out next week to determine if it truly is a safety issue (i.e. childlocks stay engaged in crash sequence). But, I do find it super strange that the internal handle locks the external handle when in childlock!?

·
2021 1st
476 Posts
But, I do find it super strange that the internal handle locks the external handle when in childlock!?
I do find that strange and please update me when VW gets back to you on that.

I just ran out and checked our 2013 Touareg and the windows and doors are also linked together but the external handles do not lock from an internal pull like the ID4's.

My 2017 GTI is in LA right now so I can't run out and check it but I'll ask my wife to check it when she gets there this Friday.

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition Dusk Blue
71 Posts
When I pulled the front passenger carpet mat out to install the Weathertech waterproof mat - both the retainer posts pulled out of the floor, rather than releasing the post from the mat. Which is a bummer, but since the new waterproof mat fits snugly on all four sides, the retaining posts are not required. I stuck them into the new mat, so that dirt won't fall through.

The break seems to be on the top piece, so hopefully we can just get replacement parts and snap them in; and not have to get under the floor carpet. The driver's side posts worked as they are supposed to.

Our driver's door is occasionally not unlocking, and even after pressing the unlock button on the key/remote it won't open. This is only the driver's door. My brother's 2019 eTron had a similar problem, that was corrected by replacing the proximity sensor for that door.

·
10 Posts
I got back from a road trip today and as I pulled into my garage I heard this clicking sound. Put the car in park and it continued. As soon as we exited the vehicle it stopped. I assume some weird issue with the locks?

Also:

-wireless charger doesn't really work/only charges for a minute then quits...anyone else?

-one of the usb c plugins in the center console (the left front most one, just below the wireless charger), causes charge to occur off/on and never stays on continuously

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
454 Posts
-wireless charger doesn't really work/only charges for a minute then quits...anyone else?

-one of the usb c plugins in the center console (the left front most one, just below the wireless charger), causes charge to occur off/on and never stays on continuously
My wireless charging is fine, but I wonder whether your two charging issues are connected? Or rather, suffering from an intermittent connection on the same USB bus.

·
10 Posts
My wireless charging is fine, but I wonder whether your two charging issues are connected? Or rather, suffering from an intermittent connection on the same USB bus.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. At first I just thought the wireless charger was finicky, but after removing my case from my phone and noticing the charge stopping after ~3-5 minutes something was wrong. The USB port is clearly acting up. Taking it in this week to have the front passenger door adjusted as it is misaligned (one dealership refused to fix it), I'll have them check it out. I assume they have tools that make it easy for them to test the functionality?

·
37 Posts
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. At first I just thought the wireless charger was finicky, but after removing my case from my phone and noticing the charge stopping after ~3-5 minutes something was wrong. The USB port is clearly acting up. Taking it in this week to have the front passenger door adjusted as it is misaligned (one dealership refused to fix it), I'll have them check it out. I assume they have tools that make it easy for them to test the functionality?
Sounds like a loose connection either between plugs or a ground. Either way, it would likely take some work hunting it down and physically checking continuity at certain intervals to hone in on the problem. Most likely it'll be some stupid easy fix. Just have to figure out what needs fixing.

·
ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue waiting in North Hills?
446 Posts
Has anyone had a problem with the charging socket flap? (That's what it's called in the manual; I would call it the door that covers the charging socket.) Anyway, after charging the car today, I closed the flap in the usual way (gently) and noticed that the flap was ajar: it would not close tight but, worse, it would not open. I was worried that I could not charge the car at all if I couldn't get the flap opened, and I knew from Furkan's post that the flap can be fragile. While driving home, I looked in the side view mirror and saw that the flap had somehow freed itself and was hanging wide open. I pulled over and closed it and it looked like it was back to the proper alignment. Once home, I opened and closed the flap several times and found that the it now opens only intermittently -- you have to push it several times before it pops open. However, the closing operation is normal.

These QC issues are depressing.
I am currently experiencing this issue, except I am unable to open the port at all. I suppose I am going to the dealer tomorrow ...

·
446 Posts
I am currently experiencing this issue, except I am unable to open the port at all. I suppose I am going to the dealer tomorrow ...
The child appears to have fixed the problem, maybe. She hit some buttons on the remote and in the car, sadly she doesn't remember which, and it opened. I hope that a lock was engaged that she got to unlock.

·
11 Posts
The child appears to have fixed the problem, maybe. She hit some buttons on the remote and in the car, sadly she doesn't remember which, and it opened. I hope that a lock was engaged that she got to unlock.
I figured this out a few days ago. I believe the car has to be unlocked to open the charge port. I couldn't open it, I pressed unlock on the fob, then I could open the port.

·
121 Posts
Here's a new one: the side mirrors automatically fold in and out, which is great. But after a couple of starts and stops, they are totally out of adjustment. I have to reset the mirrors every third our fourth time I get into the car. Never had to deal with that before! Is this something that can be tightened or something so that it doesn't keep happening? Is anyone else experiencing this?

·
365 Posts
Here's a new one: the side mirrors automatically fold in and out, which is great. But after a couple of starts and stops, they are totally out of adjustment. I have to reset the mirrors every third our fourth time I get into the car. Never had to deal with that before! Is this something that can be tightened or something so that it doesn't keep happening? Is anyone else experiencing this?
Not me. Are you bumping the adjuster for the mirrors. Make sure the joystick is in between the L and R detents.

·
46 Posts
Not me. Are you bumping the adjuster for the mirrors. Make sure the joystick is in between the L and R detents.
When you set your seat adjustment the mirror positions get saved with it too. That may be your problem. If you set the seat position and didn't have the mirrors set too then everytime you select your preset seat position the mirrors will move back to where they were when you originally set the seat.

·
121 Posts
Thanks, BlueDH and bekahb -but I'm afraid that I always return the adjuster joystick to the neutral position, and I haven't used the seat memory. Tomorrow I'll set the mirrors and program the seat memory, and see if that works to move the mirrors into the correct position next time it happens.

·
446 Posts
Maybe this is a mechanical issue? I hear a faint ticking sound when I drive, in the front left of the cockpit. I haven't traced it too deep yet. A quick search hasn't revealed anyone else posted on this. Anyone else?

·
ID.4 Pro S Dusk Blue w/Black
10 Posts
When you set your seat adjustment the mirror positions get saved with it too. That may be your problem. If you set the seat position and didn't have the mirrors set too then everytime you select your preset seat position the mirrors will move back to where they were when you originally set the seat.
It took me a couple of days to realize this - my mirrors kept changing. After blaming my wife, or at least that is how she described my inquiry, I discovered it was because I had not set the memory buttons. I suspect either part of the manufacturing QA or the dealer playing with settings had them out of wack until I set them as desired.

·
3 Posts
Ok, on the mechanical issues topic. I've got 2. The trunk is intermittent when trying to open it hands free. This is irritating but definitely not a show stopper since this is the first car I've own that even does that (true 1st world problem). The second is far more concerning to me. When the childlock is set the back doors get locked on the outside too! So, my 5 year old is in no way that kid who will open the door while driving. However, he is definitely the kid who will incessantly roll the window up/down, up/down, etc. So, I turn on the childlock. We get to where we are going and of course my kid is still in the car. I say "hey dude get out". He (getting frustrated) yells back " I can't" while yanking the door handle. So, I go around to let him out and the door is locked from the outside and the car had not been locked by anyone! So, I go back to the driver's seat and press the button to deactivate childlock. But, at the same time my 5 year old is starting to get very irritated and is continuing to pull the handle. Because he was pulling on the handle when I pressed the button the childlock failed to disengage! It took a bit to get him to stop pulling the handle while I was disabling the childlock! So, I have 1 huge issue and that is that in an emergency no one can open the door to pull my kid out from the outside! ..and one small issue that the windows and doors should be childlocked separately since I want my child to egress the car on his own in an emergency and do not want him f'ing with the window incessantly. I will be addressing this at my 1 week maintenance once over at the dealership today.
This is the exact issue we face. It is scary. Also - just this morning a 'childlock fault' showed up. So maybe related?

21 - 40 of 57 Posts