Volkswagen ID Forum banner

81 - 100 of 120 Posts

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,214 Posts
I just discovered my rear horizontal light strips and rear logo being a little loose. Pushed them in and it seemed to better clasp, but ... Thanks for the insight; gawd I love this forum. ;)

Would you happen to know the Bulletin number (perhaps on the service paperwork)?

Yeah factories just love one-time plastic [un]fasteners as they're quicker and less expensive.
I had this fix done at the dealer, and it seems better now. There’s a bulletin or something about it so should be no issue getting it done under warranty, and I got a loaner car for the day.

·
91 Posts
Yeah find the buttons under the handle and you should just need your fingertips to push in the button and open the door.

lifting the handle is the (emergency) mechanical release, and should normally never be needed

·
2021 1st
741 Posts
When you refer to buttons are you talking about something that will feel like buttons or are you talking about the lever that is running along inside the length of the handle?

I can feel a lever under the outside handle but I don't feel buttons on the lever. Or are we talking about the inside handle? I haven't felt any buttons under that handle but I don't remember feeling around for one because I assumed it was: pull lightly for electric opening and pull harder for mechanical.

·
VW ID.4 FE Dusk Blue
103 Posts
I just discovered my rear horizontal light strips and rear logo being a little loose. Pushed them in and it seemed to better clasp, but ... Thanks for the insight; gawd I love this forum. ;)

Would you happen to know the Bulletin number (perhaps on the service paperwork)?

Yeah factories just love one-time plastic [un]fasteners as they're quicker and less expensive.
There are some part numbers here, but maybe the 94312010 is helpful? Though googling that just turns up hits for it being the code for the labor charge. I now realize I may have received a whole new light bar, reading more closely.

·
4 Posts
The issue i have is pulling handle from inside to get out, I always have to do it twice to come out of my car, i will try soft opening and check now !

·
2021 1st
741 Posts
The issue i have is pulling handle from inside to get out, I always have to do it twice to come out of my car, i will try soft opening and check now !
That's what I do and it's always a double pull.

If someone could clarify how we're supposed to open the door from both the outside and the inside I'd be appreciative of the info. Apparently I'm doing both wrong :D

·
323 Posts
That's what I do and it's always a double pull.

If someone could clarify how we're supposed to open the door from both the outside and the inside I'd be appreciative of the info. Apparently I'm doing both wrong :D
Outside-in I never have a problem: just a light pull on the inside of the handle does the job for me. Inside-out takes practice: a light pull, hear the unlatch and right away push the door open. If you hear the door unlatch and delay pushing it open, you'll hear another latch sound and by then it is too late, you'll have to pull the latch again.

·
91 Posts
When you refer to buttons are you talking about something that will feel like buttons or are you talking about the lever that is running along inside the length of the handle?

I can feel a lever under the outside handle but I don't feel buttons on the lever. Or are we talking about the inside handle? I haven't felt any buttons under that handle but I don't remember feeling around for one because I assumed it was: pull lightly for electric opening and pull harder for mechanical.
what i mean is that it should be simply to open it like this:
or this
and that you don't have to physically lift the handle.

guess it is a latch, and not a real button? i'm not a native English speaker so i might name things slightly wrong

·
2021 1st
741 Posts
guess it is a latch, and not a real button? i'm not a native English speaker so i might name things slightly wrong
The first video you posted of a native English speaker demonstrating the handle action is calling it a "button," too, so it's not something you've named incorrectly. I associate buttons with round things like a shirt button. I think mine works like that video but I need to practice the inside > out single pull that FredT described.

·
91 Posts
The first video you posted of a native English speaker demonstrating the handle action is calling it a "button," too, so it's not something you've named incorrectly. I associate buttons with round things like a shirt button. I think mine works like that video but I need to practice the inside > out single pull that FredT described.
i immediately "elbow" open the door a couple of inches when i feel/hear it unlatch on opening it. Never had to do it twice and for me it feels natural.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,214 Posts
Thanks very much!
It's been in the 90's here for 5 days so perhaps as you indicated a warm-plastic bowing thing. I didn't notice it in the colder months just after my purchase. We're supposed to have a cold front this evening (thanks as always Canada!) so will be interesting to recheck in a couple days.
There are some part numbers here, but maybe the 94312010 is helpful? Though googling that just turns up hits for it being the code for the labor charge. I now realize I may have received a whole new light bar, reading more closely.

View attachment 3865

·
2021 1st
741 Posts
It was about 90F when I turned mine into the dealer for service but now it's consistently over 100F so I'm curious if mine is experiencing this, too.

When I purchased it, mine had a bow but everyone here who looked at it said it looked normal to them. I didn't notice anything was ever loose.

·
91 Posts
Thanks very much!
It's been in the 90's here for 5 days so perhaps as you indicated a warm-plastic bowing thing. I didn't notice it in the colder months just after my purchase. We're supposed to have a cold front this evening (thanks as always Canada!) so will be interesting to recheck in a couple days.
if you push it back a few times to often it will develop cracks underneath the VW logo, so be careful.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,214 Posts
I didn't really notice it visually either, but when I pressed on it/them thanks (or ignorance is bliss not) to this thread ...
It was about 90F when I turned mine into the dealer for service but now it's consistently over 100F so I'm curious if mine is experiencing this, too.

When I purchased it, mine had a bow but everyone here who looked at it said it looked normal to them. I didn't notice anything was ever loose.

·
469 Posts
Just now checked mine again. Tight on the driver side, slightly loose on the passenger side. As I pressed it in I could hear and feel a very slight snap. VW logo was secure.
I'm thinking some heat expansion, getting in the 90s here. Maybe gremlin cicadas 😉.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,214 Posts
Thanks again, but today in much cooler weather (-20 degF from days past) i've got no bowing and rear light/emblem/trim fit is tight. Perhaps gently pushing it in yesterday when warm (heard clicks) and then subsequent contraction helped. 🤷‍♂️

View attachment 3865

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
397 Posts
i immediately "elbow" open the door a couple of inches when i feel/hear it unlatch on opening it. Never had to do it twice and for me it feels natural.
Yup, I've opened most car doors this way for years, so I've never had an issue even once with the ID.4 mechanism, except when I deliberately tried to figure out why other people do have issues with it.

81 - 100 of 120 Posts