Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a roadshow at my dealer to which i was invited. I was told that I can directly ask questions to VW representatives from their engineering and marketing teams. Below are some of the questions I have and would like to take other questions as well.

1. Why is the brake hold disabled for US models.
2. What components of the ID4 updatable via OTA.
3. Can I control (pre-heat/cool, lock/unlock) my car via Wifi through the App and what features are specifically covered under car net.

·
Blue ID.4 1st Edition
131 Posts
Another question, if you don't mind asking: when you switch between different driving modes (Comfort, Sport...), what changes does that actually make to the suspension? I thought we weren't getting adjustable suspension in the US, but it looks like we can change the settings.

Reactions: epl

·
383 Posts
There is a roadshow at my dealer to which i was invited. I was told that I can directly ask questions to VW representatives from their engineering and marketing teams. Below are some of the questions I have and would like to take other questions as well.

3. Can I control (pre-heat/cool, lock/unlock) my car via Wifi through the App and what features are specifically covered under car net.
Great @terasain !

4) Might it be possible to upgrade the premium LED headlights to matrix functionality (through software) once US approves? Even though we've seen that the hardware on lights is slightly different between EU and US premium LED headlamps, it would be good to hear what is said.

5) Is VW really planning software updates every 12 weeks? Any hints at future additions?

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
398 Posts
Do temp sliders have illumination but having software issues or is this hardware issue and when will it be fixed?
That's a good one. In some of VW's press materials, you see shots of the interior at night and the controls appear to be illuminated. But actual U.S. deliveries seem to indicate there is no illumination of the HVAC/radio haptic buttons.

·
253 Posts
Is it possible to have HUD as an upgrade eventually?

·
27 Posts
  • How many decibels is the ID4 pedestrian warning system and if it is on the higher end of the required range, will future software updates lower the volume closer to the minimum safety decibel level?
  • Will the Hello ID voice commands be able to control the windows in future updates?

·
217 Posts
- German YouTubers mentioned the VW hasn't unlocked the full potential of the ID.3 and ID.4. Mentioned were VW was planning to increase charging to 175kW (125kW now) and increased range by optimizing power consumption later in 2021. It wasn't clear whether that meant VW is planning a hardware update (seems unlikely so close after launch) or an OTA to unlock these features via software. Can they share a bit about the potential OTA improvements we can expect?

- Can we have a option to show hoe much kW the car is charging (currently only Miles per minute)

- +1 for making B mode one-pedal driving, or at least give us hold mode like in Europe.

- Any ETA for the heat pump option?

·
ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue waiting in North Hills?
461 Posts
++1 how about a software setting to change the mode that B operates in.

Reactions: theboomr and Kitt

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st, Dusk Blue
114 Posts

The demo I drove last weekend had brake hold and the 2.1 software. Couldn’t see the HVAC and radio volume to tell if they were illuminated since I drove in bright sun.

·
217 Posts
The ID.3 (and presumably the ID.4 as well) always heat the battery pack even for short trips. This results in a 58 mile range (!!) for the ID.3 with the mid size 58 kWh pack, the video below shows.

I assume Volkswagen is aware of this. Are they going to address the issue in a future OTA update?

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st, Dusk Blue
114 Posts
Whoa. That's the first I've heard of anyone in US saying such a thing. Sorry to ask again, but can you elaborate some more please? Did you need to activate it? or was feature already turned on? Did dash show "Auto Hold" icon on steering wheel display..when car was stopped?
It was a fairly quick drive and I didn’t have time to mess with the screen while in traffic. The sales guy was with me and said to remove my foot from the brake since the vehicle had brake hold, and it worked. A nudge on the go pedal and it started moving. Pretty sweet. I’ll use it all the time. I’m planning on going back for another deep dive into the software and will take a look.

·
217 Posts
I heard that the ID.4 does not support driver profiles like Tesla or the BMW i3 where your seat, mirror and driving preferences will automatically be restored if you open the car with your key.

I noticed that "VW's AutoPilot" treats distances as a setting accessible from the steering wheel instead of a personal preference (like Tesla does and IMO how it should be).

So basically this means that every time you enter the car, you have to restore all settings, mirrors and seat (though that's only one button in the FE). That sounds way too cumbersome. Why can't the car recognize me based on my key fob and restore my settings? Is users profiles a planned OTA update?

·
461 Posts
I heard that the ID.4 does not support driver profiles like Tesla or the BMW i3 where your seat, mirror and driving preferences will automatically be restored if you open the car with your key.

I noticed that "VW's AutoPilot" treats distances as a setting accessible from the steering wheel instead of a personal preference (like Tesla does and IMO how it should be).

So basically this means that every time you enter the car, you have to restore all settings, mirrors and seat (though that's only one button in the FE). That sounds way too cumbersome. Why can't the car recognize me based on my key fob and restore my settings? Is users profiles a planned OTA update?
Not so fast my friend! It does have seating and mirror memories. It may take pushing a numeric button on the seat though.

Reactions: Kitt

·
ID.4 FE GW
506 Posts
It was a fairly quick drive and I didn’t have time to mess with the screen while in traffic. The sales guy was with me and said to remove my foot from the brake since the vehicle had brake hold, and it worked. A nudge on the go pedal and it started moving. Pretty sweet. I’ll use it all the time. I’m planning on going back for another deep dive into the software and will take a look.
I hate to rain on parades, but I don't think that this alone indicates that the car has brake hold. Was the adaptive cruise control on? I understand that ACC will hold the brake in stop and go traffic. It won't hold the car if there is nothing in front of it though.

Did you see that Auto Hold was enabled on a setting screen? That would be good evidence that the mode exists.

·
461 Posts
Someone somewhere said they saw Auto Hold in menu but it was greyed out during a test drive.

·
540 Posts
The ID.3 (and presumably the ID.4 as well) always heat the battery pack even for short trips. This results in a 58 mile range (!!) for the ID.3 with the mid size 58 kWh pack, the video below shows.

I assume Volkswagen is aware of this. Are they going to address the issue in a future OTA update?
After watching that, I note that is extrapolating a 3 mile test drive with cold battery each time (5kw for warmer) and cabin heat (5kw more) to compute a range. Not very realistic, but some people may use it only 3 to 6 miles each day. That still would be 20 days of that low of use per day. If you actually did a 58 mile trip, the battery heater is only on for the 1st 10 minutes so you would get much longer range, even with that small battery.

I agree with his main point about using the heated seat and wheel as much as possible to minimize your use of the cabin heater.

Reactions: YowVil

·
53 Posts

I will be there at 2pm

·
1 Posts
Thanks,

We would like to know about a heat pump in future models. A heated steering wheel and seats isn’t enough warmth for me with Colorado winters. We have a Volt and it has a heat pump. Don’t understand why they would not have included one in the ID4, even as an option.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts