Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
ID.4 1st Edition Glacier White
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an opportunity to test drive an ID.4 today after looking one over last week when my dealer got one in. At the time I could not test drive it as it was not prepped. I went to a different dealer today and got to do an extended test drive. Here are additional comments to add to my previous car review:
  • The demo unit was updated to software 2.1 (0792). There was zero lag and the whole interface was fantastic. I have no reason to believe that all of the ID.4’s folks are getting in a few days won’t have this as well. This took care of most of not all of the issues reviewers encountered

• There is a groove in the CCS connector cover that allows you to put it in the charge door, the charge door seal etc. much the same way a gas/diesel VW car would have
  • Seat massage is on both driver and passenger seats and it is NICE. It gave me an excellent massage from my lower spine to the middle of my back and can be strong on the highest setting. It felt like I was in a massage chair and will be very welcome on road trips. I was expecting just some vibration, but was surprised to get a full muscle rub down
  • If you are a fan of the Magic Track Pad from Apple the haptic buttons will be nice. I personally loved them more than I probably should have. Not once did I have an issue.
  • The driver assist functions were really easy. I took it out on i26 down here and enabled ACC and turned on Driver Assist. It took over functions and I only needed to lightly hold the wheel. All lane keep and breaking was then handled for me. The driver display meanwhile showed cars and truck icons in the left, right and center lane around me and was VERY accurate. It even showed a pickup with a trailer. In addition it picked up the speed signs without issue. One thing I love, harkening back to the haptic buttons was pushing the left up/down buttons advanced the speed up or down by 1 mph, but if I held it allowed me to increase or decrease by 5’s. Great to get up to speed fast.
  • The door handles to get out were electronic if lightly pulled, but if pulled all the way actuated the door openers mechanically. They built the failsafe into the normal handle instead of other automakers solutions of hiding a leaver and using a button to open from the inside. I was real impressed with this, but then again this attention to detail is what I expect from German engineers.
  • When I got in it was near full battery and had 278 miles on the guess-o-meter (GOM). It was stable as I drove and with our mild temperatures did not change much. I think it would be safe to say that after warmer weather drives we could see ranges in the low 300’s. This seems like they took the WLTP number and subtracted 60 to call it a day. Definitely a case of under promising and over delivering.
  • There was this odd plastic hook mid-way on the t-pillar behind the driver and passenger seats (sorry I did not get a picture). Not sure what this is.
  • Ride quality was great and acceleration was more than enough, granted I am not coming from a Tesla but am a daily driver of a Chevy Bolt. The ID.4 is heavy but it gets up and moves when you put the go pedal hammer down.
  • We got a lot of cool looks while driving around. This thing looks really good IMO.
Sorry I did not get more pictures. This was just an outing to get my mind off of my Mother passing away on Sunday night. A little VW therapy. But I may not have been all that with-it. Looking forward more than ever to mine making its way over the Atlantic. Seriously great car.

·
Blue ID.4 FE, Jan., OR
59 Posts
My condolences on the passing of your mother. I feel ya.

Thanks for the observations and impressions. Also a Bolt driver and you have relieved a few concerns. Thanks!

Reactions: majorgearhead

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st, Dusk Blue
114 Posts
I had an opportunity to test drive an ID.4 today after looking one over last week when my dealer got one in. At the time I could not test drive it as it was not prepped. I went to a different dealer today and got to do an extended test drive. Here are additional comments to add to my previous car review:
  • The demo unit was updated to software 2.1 (0792). There was zero lag and the whole interface was fantastic. I have no reason to believe that all of the ID.4’s folks are getting in a few days won’t have this as well. This took care of most of not all of the issues reviewers encountered
    View attachment 1877

• There is a groove in the CCS connector cover that allows you to put it in the charge door, the charge door seal etc. much the same way a gas/diesel VW car would have
    View attachment 1882
  • Seat massage is on both driver and passenger seats and it is NICE. It gave me an excellent massage from my lower spine to the middle of my back and can be strong on the highest setting. It felt like I was in a massage chair and will be very welcome on road trips. I was expecting just some vibration, but was surprised to get a full muscle rub down
  • If you are a fan of the Magic Track Pad from Apple the haptic buttons will be nice. I personally loved them more than I probably should have. Not once did I have an issue.
  • The driver assist functions were really easy. I took it out on i26 down here and enabled ACC and turned on Driver Assist. It took over functions and I only needed to lightly hold the wheel. All lane keep and breaking was then handled for me. The driver display meanwhile showed cars and truck icons in the left, right and center lane around me and was VERY accurate. It even showed a pickup with a trailer. In addition it picked up the speed signs without issue. One thing I love, harkening back to the haptic buttons was pushing the left up/down buttons advanced the speed up or down by 1 mph, but if I held it allowed me to increase or decrease by 5’s. Great to get up to speed fast.
  • The door handles to get out were electronic if lightly pulled, but if pulled all the way actuated the door openers mechanically. They built the failsafe into the normal handle instead of other automakers solutions of hiding a leaver and using a button to open from the inside. I was real impressed with this, but then again this attention to detail is what I expect from German engineers.
  • When I got in it was near full battery and had 278 miles on the guess-o-meter (GOM). It was stable as I drove and with our mild temperatures did not change much. I think it would be safe to say that after warmer weather drives we could see ranges in the low 300’s. This seems like they took the WLTP number and subtracted 60 to call it a day. Definitely a case of under promising and over delivering.
  • There was this odd plastic hook mid-way on the t-pillar behind the driver and passenger seats (sorry I did not get a picture). Not sure what this is.
  • Ride quality was great and acceleration was more than enough, granted I am not coming from a Tesla but am a daily driver of a Chevy Bolt. The ID.4 is heavy but it gets up and moves when you put the go pedal hammer down.
  • We got a lot of cool looks while driving around. This thing looks really good IMO.
Sorry I did not get more pictures. This was just an outing to get my mind off of my Mother passing away on Sunday night. A little VW therapy. But I may not have been all that with-it. Looking forward more than ever to mine making its way over the Atlantic. Seriously great car.
Very sorry to hear about your mother’s passing away. I can’t imagine. But thanks for the test drive report. I did one on my own and wasn’t adequately prepared for it so kind of just went for the feel of it more than specifics. Think I need another. ;)

·
Proud FE owner
1,000 Posts
Sorry about your mother's passing.
If this is the hook you saw, it's a clothes hook. You can use a hangar or the loop on the collar of a coat.

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
398 Posts
Condolences on your mother's passing.

Regarding the DCFC connector cover, there's actually a hook on the bottom of the charging cover to hook the DCFC connector cover on :)

·
Dusk Blue ID.4 FE, 2X - 2004 Phaeton V8
430 Posts
My condolences too. Sometimes a good drive helps.

·
89 Posts
I’m very sorry to hear about your Mother’s passing. I’m sure it’s tough.

Excellent review and nice counterpoints to some of the media reviewers complaints. As far as the range goes it really does seem like they under promised. All the range tests have been positive.

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
415 Posts
Thank you for this thread, you pointed out several things I hadn't seen anyone else talk about yet. So glad to see that you can hook the DCFC cover on the flap like that! I hate how it just dangles around on some other EVs. Also nice to hear from a fellow Bolt driver that the acceleration feels good. I've mostly assumed that it will, from the many many reviews I've watched and read, but hadn't really seen anyone very directly compare it specifically to the Bolt.

Sorry to hear about your mother :(

·
186 Posts
    View attachment 1877

View attachment 1882
We had the opportunity to drive one today also, I agree with everything you have stated. When we entered the demo car it was reading 297 miles at 90%charge. We drove it in “b” regen mode for about 12 miles around town. we found the breaking very good and not overwhelming. When we pulled back into the dealer we had 305 miles. The regen works very well. If you have one ordered make sure they do the 2.1 update. This will also allow ota updates. (Over the air). We were very impressed the the car. Nice job VW

·
VW ID.4 1st Max | Mangan Gray
193 Posts
There is a holder for your CCS cap.

Als for your transport net on the rear there is an hookholder just below the handhold thingy above your head.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts