Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an AUKEY DR01 dashcam (somewhat old, no longer sold) with MiniUSB power connector. I did not want to have a USB cable running from the central console (ugly & cumbersome to live with wires hanging down), and I did not want to deal with running wires under the headliner and down the A-pillar to the fuse box (a common technique, but requires more disassembly and potentially interfering with airbags).

I decided to power the camera via the mirror with a very short and discrete wire running to the camera.

For this install:
  • No tools required
  • No modification to factory wiring harness (Wires only press-fit in a passive, solder-less way)
  • No modification to plastic housings in any way.
  • No disassembly of headliner, no fuse-box access, and no interference with airbags.
NOTE: I have a HomeLink mirror, but this should work with the factory mirror as well.

I bought a SimpleUSBCable 12V to MiniUSB Two-Prong Universal Dashcam Adapter from Amazon for $20 to convert the 12V mirror power to a 5V MiniUSB connection.

Light Cable Bicycle part Auto part Jewellery

I removed the housing around the mirror mount (same as from the Homelink mirror install --- no tools required if you have some fingernails).

Adapter wires pins get press-fit into the backside of the back size of the harness mirror connector.
  • RED pin (+) of the adapter -> RED/YELLOW wire hole.
  • BLACK pin (GROUND) of the adapter -> BROWN wire hole.
Electrical wiring Computer hardware Cable Electronic device Wire

These supply wires are switched on ignition power. The camera will turn off when the vehicle is off, which is what I wanted (I know some people want some kind of sentry mode to keep monitoring when parked --- that's not this installation).

I zip-tied the two wires to the factory harness for strain-relief protection.

The adapter has a buck voltage converter inside shrink-wrap, it's somwhat long and rigid and hard to route. Luckily on the upper right (looking from inside) of the enclosure is a vacant space that looks like it is for some optional module not installed. The voltage converter rests nicely in this area and provides clearance for the plastic housings. The wire is then tucked neatly into the headliner and looped back down around the housing to plug into the dashcam.

The dot pattern of the windshield glass is laminated within and therefore does not affect suctioning adherence. (Note this is the electrically heated windshield, YMMV)

Clean install. Works great.

·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Daw this one in FB ID4 group. Poster said 5 min installation.
Ah yes, I saw that one too. Didn't hear good things about the camera though as I think people who bought them were returning them. That is indeed a more integrated solution, so I will change my topic title.

·
54 Posts
Ah, thank you for that. I was considering getting it, but if that's the case the press-fit USB tap and a good camera is a better bet. I like the one I have in my CR-V, but it seems to have been discontinued (Roav). I'm keeping the CR-V, so I can't just swap it over. Ordered the tap, a Garmin Mini 2 and a right-angle Micro to Mini USB adapter. With random shortages, I'd rather have the camera now even if the car isn't here for 6-8 months.

·
2021 ID.4 Pro S
72 Posts
Thanks for posting this! I've always ran wiring along the headliner, down the A pillar, and to the fuse panel. This'll be much easier.

·
21 Posts
I'm planning to do with and also install the homelink, but the link you provided is out of stock :(

I actually have an extra buck converter. I wonder how difficult it could be so solder from mini USB -> converter -> 12v pins

·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm planning to do with and also install the homelink, but the link you provided is out of stock :(

I actually have an extra buck converter. I wonder how difficult it could be so solder from mini USB -> converter -> 12v pins
Before I went with the adapter I linked in my original post I was thinking of getting something like this which would make it a bit more generic of an install. You can use a short USB cable to power any kind of device from the mirror area then. The problem I see is that it doesn't have the nice "tap" pins to slide into the existing connector; and the overall size & length are going to be harder to fit. There are lots of 12v to USB devices on amazon, there may be some that will fit better than others.

Edit: I also like this one because it has the screw terminals and looks relatively compact.

·
21 Posts
Before I went with the adapter I linked in my original post I was thinking of getting something like this which would make it a bit more generic of an install. You can use a short USB cable to power any kind of device from the mirror area then. The problem I see is that it doesn't have the nice "tap" pins to slide into the existing connector; and the overall size & length are going to be harder to fit. There are lots of 12v to USB devices on amazon, there may be some that will fit better than others.

Edit: I also like this one because it has the screw terminals and looks relatively compact.
Yeah I really like your original. Exactly the configuration I need. Otherwise I'd have to solder everything together myself.

I already have one of these on hand from another project: Amazon.com: Songhe LM2596S LM2596 with LED Display Voltmeter Buck Converter DC-DC 4.0-40V to 1.25-37V 2A Voltage Adjustable Board Step Down Module Power Supply Module (5pcs) : Electronics

But it might be a little clunky compared to the converters you linked.

·
54 Posts
There were 11 at the time I first saw this thread and 10 by the time I ordered one. The Mini version I needed to directly connect to my chosen camera was already out of stock, but the right-angle adapters I got solve that problem.

I hope they come back, but stuff like this is so iffy right now that I'm already ordering all the little things I want (camera shield, 'if you need me to unplug, text...' hangtags, etc) right now despite not expecting the car for months.

·
85 Posts
Ah yes, I saw that one too. Didn't hear good things about the camera though as I think people who bought them were returning them. That is indeed a more integrated solution, so I will change my topic title.
Think? I bought one on Sale $168. Took all of 10 minutes to install and works perfect including the night vision. We'll worth it for the plug and play.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts