Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tesla just began accepting orders for the long awaited Model Y RWD standard range. Starts at $42k with 244 mile range. An alternative to ID.4 RWD? Granted, no Federal Tax Credit, at least not now.

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
687 Posts
Hah! I’ve been waiting a full year for that model, and would be sorely tempted to justify the lack of federal tax credit with the supercharger network, were it not for other small issues with Teslas. Fit and finish, high repair costs, steering and braking bordering on squirrelly, etc.

I just optioned a blue model with tow hitch to resemble my ID.4 FE, and it comes in at $500 higher than the ID.4 after destination charge. Coincidence?

Somehow I trust the 244 mile range less than VW’s 250. Real world experience will tell.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,488 Posts
The Model Y's styling does nothing for me in considering a CUV. But I applaud them now making a more affordable RWD. No coincidence. ;)

·
48 Posts
I would be concerned about the Tesla quality issues but since they are so well documented I think they will get them sorted out asap. Not having the tax credit puts them at a disadvantage but with a new President that appears to favor reduced emissions I would not be surprised to see some changes.

·
34 Posts
Wow... For me this is a game changer... Look at the standard features of the RWD Model Y compared to the ID.4, literally the only thing ID.4 has going for it is the manufacturing. With the RWD Model Y you still get the premium interior, meaningful software upgrades, and the option of FSD (I'm not interested though, I like driving my car)... Not to mention as stated in another post, that Tesla is going to hold its value alot better than the ID.4

The con list for the ID.4 just keeps growing...

And no I'm not a Tesla fanboy, just a realist. Trying to make the best decision I can for me.

·
34 Posts
Hah! I’ve been waiting a full year for that model, and would be sorely tempted to justify the lack of federal tax credit with the supercharger network, were it not for other small issues with Teslas. Fit and finish, high repair costs, steering and braking bordering on squirrelly, etc.

I just optioned a blue model with tow hitch to resemble my ID.4 FE, and it comes in at $500 higher than the ID.4 after destination charge. Coincidence?

Somehow I trust the 244 mile range less than VW’s 250. Real world experience will tell.
That's a bold statement considering we have real world experience with Tesla's EV ranges and not VW's... The range for all EV's is going to be nothing more than an estimate, several driving conditions always come in to consideration. Although I would like just a bit more range from both vehicles, I can live with 250/244... My longest trips ever are from Waco to DFW Airport, so I'm good.

·
48 Posts
That's a bold statement considering we have real world experience with Tesla's EV ranges and not VW's... The range for all EV's is going to be nothing more than an estimate, several driving conditions always come in to consideration. Although I would like just a bit more range from both vehicles, I can live with 250/244... My longest trips ever are from Waco to DFW Airport, so I'm good.
In a word....Dieselgate.

·
Proud FE owner
994 Posts
In a word....Dieselgate.
There's a big difference between gaming emissions and advertising what is now an EPA-confirmed efficiency metric.

Reactions: Huey52

·
2021 First Edition
177 Posts
Competition is heating up. I think the ID.4 and the Mach E forced Tesla's hand on this. All good.

Sticking with the ID.4, though. Want the flat roof and physical controls. Tesla's sloped roof and single screen interface do nothing for me.

·
45 Posts
I'm actually going to test drive a Model Y at lunch today. I was never considering the Model Y since it was too expensive but since it looks like Tax Credits are a possibility this year, it's worth checking it out. I've never driven an EV before so this will be a good first starting place.

·
217 Posts
Looking like the ID.4 delays are not working to VW's benefit. By April, we should have an idea if changes to the Tax Credits are in the offing. Usually, changes to tax laws that are more restrictive are made effective not earlier than when the legislation is introduced, even though it may be enacted at a later date. If the changes are less restrictive, they sometimes are made effective at the beginning of a tax year.

·
16 Posts
I'm actually canceling my FE for the the model Y now. The biggest issue was the price difference but now it's even match. FE will have more issues then the model Y, especially with powertrain (charing issue battery issues) and with the infotainment system. I'd rather go with Tesla knowing all the issues model y has is related to quality.

·
163 Posts
I hope Congress can agree on reforming tax credits to include manufacturers like Tesla, and GM, which have already hit their limits, although I'm skeptical because it might require 60 votes in the Senate. And I wish the federal governments incentive structure would be changed, to take into account people who can afford an EV but don't have a $7,500 tax liability (like me, a retiree).

·
215 Posts
I'm actually canceling my FE for the the model Y now. The biggest issue was the price difference but now it's even match. FE will have more issues then the model Y, especially with powertrain (charing issue battery issues) and with the infotainment system. I'd rather go with Tesla knowing all the issues model y has is related to quality.
how is the price a match if you factor in the Federal tax credit

·
217 Posts
Expectation is that when Tesla brings the TX plant on line (late 2021/early 2022) many of the M-Y quality defects will be fixed and it may also have significant changes in the platform castings, including a structural battery pack with the newer higher capacity battery cells. The Berlin plant will be a harbinger of this.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts