Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that already took delivery of their ID.4, please post a photo of the Monroney Sticker/Window Sticker?

Thanks!

ID.4 Pro S AWD / Waiting, waiting, waiting
Reactions: ErickF

Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for posting. I cancelled my preorder for an AWD ID.4 today after reading that 46% of the parts are from China. I don't mind buying an American car or a German car, but not a Chinese car.

Maybe when production starts up at Chattanooga in 2022 the Chinese parts will be swapped out with American sourced parts? I know my 2013 Passat TDI built at Chattanooga had more American parts in it than a Ford.

Thanks for posting. I cancelled my preorder for an AWD ID.4 today after reading that 46% of the parts are from China. I don't mind buying an American car or a German car, but not a Chinese car.

Maybe when production starts up at Chattanooga in 2022 the Chinese parts will be swapped out with American sources parts? I know my 2013 Passat TDI built at Chattanooga had more American parts in it than a Ford.
Totally, same here! BTW, how do you carry your phone? Mine doesn't fit in my pocket and smaller more modern ones are all made in China.

Maybe when production starts up at Chattanooga in 2022 the Chinese parts will be swapped out with American sourced parts? I know my 2013 Passat TDI built at Chattanooga had more American parts in it than a Ford.
We are in a world-wide economy today. Parts of what we buy come from everywhere. Many of the parts of products made in the USA come from other countries. Good old American John Deere have engines manufactured outside the USA! Our government runs on money borrowed from the China. More than likely when VW cranks up production in Tennessee, some parts will come from China. Remember there was a time when folks in the US would not buy German or Japanese products because of WW2!

Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
Just yesterday I paid 3x more for a Made in USA pliers (Klein), so I do try. But yes most cars are global cars these days with parts coming from everywhere, and there's no getting around it. Heck, I once had to replace the clutch pedal position microswitch in my Mazda RX8 and found that it was a Ford USA part.

When I was a kid Japanese products were junk but now we readily buy their high quality items. Honda in particular is now routinely recognized as having the most reliable vehicles. Post warranty I did most of the maintenance on my daughter's inaugural year 2004 Mazda 6 and sold it a few years ago at close to 200K miles (It was regifted to me and well used as a "beater") with nary a significant issue.

And of course my iPhone comes from Shanghai. ;)

Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I always look at ingredient lists as well as to see where a product is made. You vote with your dollar.

I am posting the window sticker for a Tesla 3 to prove that one has the choice of buying a modern EV without half the parts made in China.
I was just stating why I cancelled my reservation.

According to an Apple associate they don鈥檛 design their devices to last more than a couple years. I tried an iPhone 7, but it flew out of my pocket every time I shifted and fell out and stayed behind at a movie theater. I even tried supergluing a spyderco knife clip on to the case, but it didn鈥檛 work. After Steve Jobs passed iPhones backtracked and are getting on par with the size of old fashioned cellular phones from the 80s. I have a 5 year old iPhone SE because it鈥檚 a decent size. All iPhones are made in China so you don鈥檛 have a choice. And yes, my SE keeps crapping out and has to be taken in to an independent repair center to be fixed so iPhones are not quality.

You can also buy a Chinese made can opener at Walmart that will break the first time you use it or a Swiss Army knife for its can opener which will last decades until you lose it. It鈥檚 your choice.

Cap guns are made in China. You can buy one at 711. The caps they sell are made in Germany, but the trigger will break off the Chinese cap gun the the first or second day it鈥檚 used by a kid. Chinese toys often contain heavy metals in them as well.

It鈥檚 your choice, buy what you want but I鈥檓 out. A Tesla 3 is a modern electric car assembled in California with an American made motor an American made Transmission and batteries assembled in California. It doesn鈥檛 have 46% of its parts made in China. Just saying...

Attachments

I always look at ingredient lists as well as to see where a product is made. You vote with your dollar.

I am posting the window sticker for a Tesla 3 to prove that one has the choice of buying a modern EV without half the parts made in China.

According to an Apple associate they don鈥檛 design their devices to last more than a couple years. I tried an iPhone 7, but it flew out of my pocket every time I shifted and fell out and stayed behind at a movie theater. I even tried supergluing a spyderco knife clip on to the case, but it didn鈥檛 work. After Steve Jobs passed iPhones backtracked and are getting on par with the size of old fashioned cellular phones from the 80s. I have a 5 year old iPhone SE because it鈥檚 a decent size. All iPhones are made in China so you don鈥檛 have a choice. And yes, my SE keeps crapping out and has to be taken in to an independent repair center to be fixed so iPhones are not quality.

You can also buy a Chinese made can opener at Walmart that will break the first time you use it or a Swiss Army knife for its can opener which will last decades until you lose it. It鈥檚 your choice.

Cap guns are made in China. You can buy one at 711. The caps they sell are made in Germany, but the trigger will break off the Chinese cap gun the the first or second day it鈥檚 used by a kid. Chinese toys often contain heavy metals in them as well.

It鈥檚 your choice, buy what you want but I鈥檓 out. A Tesla 3 is a modern electric car assembled in California with an American made motor an American made Transmission and batteries assembled in California. It doesn鈥檛 have 46% of its parts made in China. Just saying...
Some big generalizations there (and ignoring the seemingly perpetual problems that seem to plague build quality at Fremont)... but you do seem to have your mind made up.

There are legitimate reasons to be concerned about buying from China, but to simplify the situation, ignore the pros of Chinese parts as well as the cons of some American manufacturing, really seems to detract from a critical analysis of the two.

Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
btw: I can't seem to find the thread where someone asked about Monster Mats/Muddy Buddy on my Monroney so will answer here:

No, there were no cost-bearing options listed on the sticker for my First Edition.

However I have seen them listed on the dealer demo's and therefore provided with same (to include the blocks which I didn't procure).

I think if BMW released the i5 instead of an i3 they would have sold a lot more EVs. The i3 is hideous and the Korean design looks nothing like what the normal BMW base would have purchased.
TL;DR: the ID.4 isn鈥檛 good enough because parts are made in China, the iPhone sucks becauce... China and the BMW i3 wasn鈥檛 good enough because the designer is American-Korean. Tesla is good because it鈥檚 100% American. No need to say anything more. I think we got the message 馃

Check out youtube E for Electric Sandy Munro's prediction. He has some interesting views on China.

1st Edition
My Volvo, a Swedish car, was actually assembled in Luxembourg from globally sourced parts...the glass is a mix of Spanish, French, and Chinese, Volvo was owned by Ford when it was designed but now owned by Geely. It was shipped from Luxembourg to Gothenburg for delivery, then shipped back to Germany for shipping through the Panama Canal to me in the US. Tires are Dutch, but owned by an Indian company.

As for the Made in US business: yeah, I was in manufacturing, and the game is played thus: build 90% overseas, final assembly in US, slap an American flag on it, call it done.

It's a global economy.

Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You鈥檙e welcome. As the saying goes one man鈥檚 trash is another man鈥檚 treasure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts