Volkswagen ID Forum banner

More issues

13K views 84 replies 19 participants last post by  Manybees 
A couple times of late I haven't been able to shift into reverse. I hit the column start/stop button and it clears. Unnerving none the less.

I hate going for dealership service but if this becomes more common ....

Interesting (sic) how many issues self-clear. 🤷‍♂️ There seem to be more of them of late. Is VW OTA-experimenting with us???

I haven't heard from my dealer on the light adjuster thing. Strange considering they've been remarkably communicative to date. I'm just going to wait on it and see if they or VWoA issue a bulletin. It's not really a safety item, just a [USA] human-meddling safeguard. ;)

No need to delete account ExCivilian, as we’ve appreciated your extensive input and will continue to build upon it. All the best with your Audi EV.
I would add that my own 10+ year local Audi dealership experience as similarly underwhelming, so again all the best that in your area it’s a better transition.
Fair winds and following seas.

Interesting. Dielectric grease applied in electrical sockets often does aid in keeping out moisture/debris that can contribute to intermittent faults.
I went with my friend on a 400 mi road trip in his new FE and the only trouble he had was that a warning light came up a few times indicating a fault in the blind spot sensor and that the system was not working. When we went to the driver assist screen, the blind spot car was grayed out during those episodes.

When he took it into the dealer, they acted like they had already gotten a service bulletin on it. They applied some kind electrical connector goop to the connectors involved and the problem was resolved. I wonder if that could be the issue with some of the other warning lights folks have been getting on this thread. So far I haven't had any warning lights in my Pro knock on wood.

Two weeks to get a 12V battery? It wouldn't seem to be a particularly special lead-acid. Heck, it doesn't even really need to be a deep-cycle type considering it's kept topped up by the main and owners are unlikely to let that go completely flat. But what do I know. 🤷‍♂️
Anyway, just seemed odd.
I did drop the car off this morning and I just got a call that they are done doing what they had to do. They did provide me with a loaner this time so I want to thank them (Donaldsons VW of Sayville, NY) for that. Kelly of VW Customer Care said she will contact me tomorrow with the results of this scan. The car has been perfect since the original issues that caused me to start this thread. I do know of 2 other ID.4's at this dealer with issues. One is my friends car that was towed there 2 weeks ago because it would not go into any gear. After a few days they diagnosed that as a bad 12 volt battery. They told him it would take 2 weeks to get the battery and he was promised the car back this coming Friday. His car has approximately 4000 miles on it. The other car is the dealer's original test drive car. It has the same issue as my friend's, and as far as I know, it hasn't been diagnosed yet. They are a very busy service department and maybe they just haven't got to it yet. I will update this thread as I learn more.

More issues ..... or were they??? :ROFLMAO:

Great to read of no further incidents. I have not had any as well.
It has been over a month since I started this thread and since then we have had no issues. None, nada, nothing! We had a 2 week period where we were getting various warnings and caution lights (the most serious was losing the speedometer and GOM during a road trip), but since then the car has been fine. I am knocking on wood as I type. Just to reiterate, all these issues fixed themselves, and in several trips to the dealer, they could not reproduce anything. Was I imagining all these issues? If it weren't for the pictures I might think so......

Case in point for why we may be getting a replacement? Christoph saw this coming 5 months ago. (y)
Hmm, makes me think that those 12V batteries might have been a bad choice for VW. Imagine for a moment that these batteries are glitchy/unsteady/whatever. It would explain a whole host of issues we’ve all been experiencing.
Food for thought.

Yes, it is. But I think you're missing the point that not all 12V L-A batteries are created equal. The better ones provide "cleaner" flow and thereby less adversely effect sensitive electronics.
The better ones are typically also AGM which has its own advantages. And even better add "deep cycle" capability.
Didn’t a technician here say it is kept charged by the main battery pack?

We had to have the 12V lead-acid battery in my wife's GLA replaced at almost exactly one year from delivery. Ironically more folks have had issues with the Aux Li-ion battery that powers the engine auto start-stop. Batteries are like a box of chocolates .....

btw: Just a reminder to others that AGM is still lead-acid but in a better form factor and therefore generally of higher quality overall. Especially considering they're often used in critical maritime applications.
The 12V lead-acid battery in the 2012-2014 Toyota RAV4 EVs typically died within about 3 years of purchase, whereas the 12V AGM battery in my Chevy Volt was still functioning when I replaced it at 7 years of age. The RAV4 EVs put a significant load on their batteries when the HV traction battery contactors were not connected (car 'off'), and their 12V batteries did not like discharging very deeply.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.