Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built a 2.1kw solar trailer to charge my ID.4. Its a state of the art 15 years ago used off grid system with outback 3600 watt inverter, MX-60 amp MPPT charge control and a new 48v 5kw AGM battery bank. Its producing an average of 11kwh per day. This will use the 120v cord that comes with the ID.4, and it could also power almost anything I want in my house during power outages since I ran a line inside the house. The slow L1 charge I can get from it of 50 mi/day is fine for me unless on a road trip. Its a similar system to what I used to sell 20 years ago when I designed, sold and installed solar PV as a job.

It also has a remote control and display I can use from my la-z-boy to turn it on/off and see live watts/volts/amps from PV, and how many watts the inverter is putting out. One of the black totes contains the inverter and charge control on the trailer tongue, the other has the 4 batteries. By loosening 2 bolts per row I can adjust them in towards the center about a foot for road travel, and 2 other bolts I can change the tilt angle to optimize for different times of year. This is currently set for the lowest sun angle to avoid any shading of the back row on the winter solstice.

I also have a grid tied 8.25kw solar system on my roof which I will use for L2 charging when I need, and grid tie is the easiest way to do solar. But I can't take that with me. This would get some looks if I ever towed it behind my ID.4.

If only you could charge the ID.4 while it's towing the solar trailer 馃槀
Would the addtional weight and reduced aerodynamics outweigh the additional energy produced? My bet is yes, but I think we need a test to know for sure.

Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
Would the addtional weight and reduced aerodynamics outweigh the additional energy produced? My bet is yes, but I think we need a test to know for sure.
Well if the ID.4 is like every other EV I鈥檓 aware of, you can鈥檛 charge it while it鈥檚 powered on, so we鈥檒l never find out I suppose!

Well if the ID.4 is like every other EV I鈥檓 aware of, you can鈥檛 charge it while it鈥檚 powered on, so we鈥檒l never find out I suppose!
Yeah, I was just thinking you measure the decrease in range while towing it, and compare to the production on a similar day from a stationary setup. Though I'd absolutely be curious to see it happen real-time with mobile charging. The disappointment that would happen when you see the car say it's charging, but also showing precipitously declining range estimate...

Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used 12x 175w sharp panels which you can find great deals on for about $50 now. Mine were only used about a year then stored in a barn, and put out higher than their rating for me in testing them the last few months. There must be some old, large systems they are selling off.

Premium Member
2021 ID.4 1st Blue - del. 3/16/21
Nice setup! Have you tested to make sure the ID.4's included EVSE and the car are happy about the power from the battery bank? I tried charging mine with an inverter generator and it displayed a blinking house faulty, meaning PE Break Error, Live PE Error, or A/C voltage error per the sticker on the EVSE.

Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven't tested it yet, but this inverter is top of the line $3000 when new and weighs 45 pounds, so its no comparison to most on the market now. It starts surge loads up to 10kw. I have experience running picky GFI and AFCI on these inverters. Generators are much more off voltage and frequency than this inverter which holds perfect on both even on surge loads. What size and brand of generator did you try?

Premium Member
2021 ID.4 1st Blue - del. 3/16/21
The one I tested was a small Generac, 2000W peak, I think. I didn鈥檛 really test much, it was just coincidence that I was showing my ID.3 to a friend and he happened to be doing his occasional test of his generator.

Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I thought you might have the same idea as me and probably others here: Put a small 2x4' mesh platform in the hitch, with a little generator like a honda eu3000, and a couple fuel cans. A mountain middle of nowhere range extender! (that instantly makes a cool EV become uncool.)

Here is a story that belongs in this thread: When I was at the dealer a few days ago for my test drive and the salesman said "This will be cheap to charge at home!" and I said "it will be free for me to charge at home". He got real interested and asked a bunch of questions about PV.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts