Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
ID.4 1st Edition Blk
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Super excited. I’ve had the car for two weeks now. I was having to make fairly frequent, but only 15 minute, stops at the EA station near my house. Not any more.

ChargePoint Home Flex, hardwired to a 60 amp breaker so I’m getting the full 48 amps the car will take.
1E369B75-8258-4B8F-A2A1-F873583655D8.jpeg
5F44CB79-3C76-4CD6-A7F6-1604EFDB5804.jpeg
FE8A94AA-3A95-4D2C-ACC0-48328CA720B5.png

·
ID.4 1st Edition Blk
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice! Do you mind me asking the cost to install? Did you have the breaker previously?
So I paid about $725 for the install, which seems to be in the middle of costs I’ve heard from others. Not the cheapest but not overpriced either. It’s also not a very long run.

There was a bunch of space in the main box coming into the house, so the breaker’s in there and not in my breaker panel in the house.

·
209 Posts
Be careful with the plastic thumb latch on the J-1772 plug of the Home Flex. It's very fragile plastic at the pivot point around the metal pin in front of the latch spring. Mine broke and I'm not sure if they are going to find the part or charge $128 for a whole new cord. I really like the Home Flex; the overall design of the unit is impressive. The plug latch disappointed me. I got home and the J-1772 was lying on the garage floor from where it let go from the ball plug holder.

·
Black ID.4 First Edition
11 Posts
Congrats! Yes, I'm loving mine also. It was stressful trying to find one in stock, but I did get lucky eventually with Amazon.

Just to provide a data point:
  • $1570 - Accepted electrician bid -- Central Maryland -- $1570 to run a 125 amp line across the finished basement to the garage and install a service panel with a 60 amp breaker and hardwire the Chargepoint Flex at 48 amps -- leaves space in the panel for another 60 amp breaker for a future second car charger
  • $699 to purchase the Chargepoint Home Flex car charging unit myself (Amazon)
  • -$300 BGE (power company) rebate for the Chargepoint
  • -$700 Maryland incentive (40% of total cost, up to $700 refund)
  • -$690 Federal tax credit for tax year 2021 (30% of total cost, up to $1000 tax credit)
  • ~ about $580 out of pocket

·
2021 ID.4 First Edition (Dusk Blue)
310 Posts
Congrats! Yes, I'm loving mine also. It was stressful trying to find one in stock, but I did get lucky eventually with Amazon.

Just to provide a data point:
  • $1570 - Accepted electrician bid -- Central Maryland -- $1570 to run a 125 amp line across the finished basement to the garage and install a service panel with a 60 amp breaker and hardwire the Chargepoint Flex at 48 amps -- leaves space in the panel for another 60 amp breaker for a future second car charger
  • $699 to purchase the Chargepoint Home Flex car charging unit myself (Amazon)
  • -$300 BGE (power company) rebate for the Chargepoint
  • -$700 Maryland incentive (40% of total cost, up to $700 refund)
  • -$690 Federal tax credit for tax year 2021 (30% of total cost, up to $1000 tax credit)
  • ~ about $580 out of pocket
Lucky! My state and utility give me $0.😭

·
87 Posts
Super excited. I’ve had the car for two weeks now. I was having to make fairly frequent, but only 15 minute, stops at the EA station near my house. Not any more.

ChargePoint Home Flex, hardwired to a 60 amp breaker so I’m getting the full 48 amps the car will take.
View attachment 3781 View attachment 3779 View attachment 3780 View attachment 3781 View attachment 3779 View attachment 3780

View attachment 3781 View attachment 3779 View attachment 3780 View attachment 3781 View attachment 3779 View attachment 3780
Nice. Bet you are happy to have L2 charging in your garage.

·
ID.4 1st Edition Blk
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice. Bet you are happy to have L2 charging in your garage.
Makes a huge difference for me. I have a 100 mile daily commute. I can’t recover that at night with the included L1. I was stopping at the local EA charger for 15 mins or so 3-4 times a week, my first two weeks of ownership. Haven’t been back since. But I am glad I got the experience using the free EA charging. They can be finicky. So on our first road trip last weekend our EA stop was a breeze,

·
2021 ID.4 First Edition (Dusk Blue)
310 Posts
Makes a huge difference for me. I have a 100 mile daily commute. I can’t recover that at night with the included L1. I was stopping at the local EA charger for 15 mins or so 3-4 times a week, my first two weeks of ownership. Haven’t been back since. But I am glad I got the experience using the free EA charging. They can be finicky. So on our first road trip last weekend our EA stop was a breeze,
If you're driving 100miles a day the adaptive cruise control alone has made this car worth it 😂

·
ID.4 1st Edition Blk
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you're driving 100miles a day the adaptive cruise control alone has made this car worth it 😂
I use it but have found a number of places, especially in a couple of turns, where it just doesn’t “see” the lanes anymore and will not make the turn. If I’m not super vigilant I could end up in a ditch quick. Hard to relax too much.

·
87 Posts
How long did you have to wait for the ChargePoint Flex? I've seen a 4-5 week backorder.

·
ID.4 1st Edition Blk
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How long did you have to wait for the ChargePoint Flex? I've seen a 4-5 week backorder.
So I didn’t back order. I just waited until I saw it in stock. Took only a couple of weeks of checking in. They shipped quick. I went ahead and scheduled my electrician, took that two weeks to get on his schedule anyway.

just checked. Ordered 4/07. Shipped 4/13. I had it two day later. But it was in stock when I ordered

·
Glacier White/Lunar Grey 1st Edition with 19" Wheels
166 Posts
I love my charge point home flex. It has a long cable, small wall footprint, and the app works well for scheduled charging. I also really enjoy seeing my charging expressed in miles and money spent because it reminds me every morning how much I don't miss gasoline. My 40 amp hook up recharges my car in about 3-4 hours nightly so my long daily commute is never a worry. Getting a smart L2 EVSE was the best investment for my needs, even if getting it installed was a bit pricey for my garage setup.

·
209 Posts
I love my charge point home flex. It has a long cable, small wall footprint, and the app works well for scheduled charging.
Same here. The other feature that was important to me is the "flex" in Home Flex–the option to select several different charging power levels. I was able to immediately repurpose an old dedicated #10-wired 240v 20 Amp circuit between my garage doors. In the future, I'll be able to run ~125' of #6 wire back to service for either 40 or 48 Amp charging.

Now, a shout-out to ChargePoint customer service. I previously posted about the broken thumb latch on the J-1772 plug. No latch, no charge. They shipped out a new cable and I'm back charging again. They could not have been more accommodating!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts