Volkswagen ID Forum banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Hmmm... Now that you mention it, I wonder whether the bumper sensors / traffic detection system continues to function under this condition, of does that branch of auto-braking fail, also?
The sensors/systems did not function when my car backed into the wall without warning. So no auto break, no sensor warning, just the sound of the bumper and a tail light breaking. 馃槶

ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
I don't think the auto brake works when reversing unless it senses a moving object, i.e. a passing pedestrian, cyclist, or car. I believe it'll let you back into a parked car or wall all day long.

Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I don't think the auto brake works when reversing unless it senses a moving object, i.e. a passing pedestrian, cyclist, or car. I believe it'll let you back into a parked car or wall all day long.
Actually it does. Sometimes the autobreak kicks in when backing close to tall grass or a parker car too fast. It almost feels like you bump into something when it kicks in.

Is it speed dependant? I park on the street in tight spaces sometimes, and sometimes get right up on the other car's bumper when I'm manuevering in. I can't say I've ever experienced auto-brake.

2021 VW ID4 FE
Actually it does. Sometimes the autobreak kicks in when backing close to tall grass or a parker car too fast. It almost feels like you bump into something when it kicks in.
It kicks in quite frequently for me., I have posted about this including a video in which it happened. I have had to adjust my driving habits because of it. I back up slowly now and approach anything behind me (even a curb) as a possible auto brake event. . IMHO, the bumper sensors are positioned too low. Actually the whole design of the bumper is poor. Needing to make a hood for the license plate light + no dedicated license plate mount + low sensors are just some issues so far.

Huh, that's strange. In six months I've never experienced auto-brake in the ID.4, and my wife says only once, early on.

Meanwhile, my i3 does it when I pull in a little too fast, too close to a car in front of me approaching a stoplight, but never while parking.

I鈥檒l get straight to the point. Im parking my id4 1st max in my company garage with the back to the wall to be close to the charging station. While still in my car standing still im speaking on the phone with a colleague for 2-3 mins with the car still on reverse. Note that i have auto hold(didnt check if it was engaged but I assume it was since I was standing still with my foot on the brake for 2-3mins).

anyway, I hang up the phone, open the door, step out of the car lifting my foot off the brake and the car starts rolling backwards straight into the wall with me standing with one foot outside the car with an open door. So im forced to jump in and hit the brake.

Im trying to find out if this is some error on my side or if the car is actually dangerous next time I step out if the car with kids behind it. When I got the car, I was told by the car dealer that I don鈥檛 need to turn the car off manually, that it turns on auto hold when standing still and when I open the door and leave the seat, the car turns off and goes into parking mode. It does that 999 times out of a thousand, but not that time.

The car dealer only thinks im trying to get out of the insurance deductible, so not much help there.

so, if by some fault the auto hold didn鈥檛 engage, shouldn鈥檛 the car go into parking brake when I leave the seat with an open door? And if not, the emergency sensors should react to the wall?

Has anyone else had somehing similar to this?

for now Im always turning on the parking break and turning off the car manually before stepping out when there are people around. Im always double checking and making sure the P is lit so it doesn鈥檛 roll off without me.
I've written about similar braking problems in another post and what you experienced is spot on and very real. There is a problem with how the brakes work on the Id.4. I've written to the manufacturer about it. The brakes as currently designed are dangerous from my point of view. Happy to share my story with your dealer if that helps...

Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I've written about similar braking problems in another post and what you experienced is spot on and very real. There is a problem with how the brakes work on the Id.4. I've written to the manufacturer about it. The brakes as currently designed are dangerous from my point of view. Happy to share my story with your dealer if that helps...
Ye I read your post. The auto-hold feature is great for steep hills. Hopefully you will get that enabled soon. Why is it disabled from the beginning btw?

Did you ever get a reply from vw when you reported this issue? Hopefully my video will be sent far up the chain so they do something about it before someone gets hurt.

FYI I haven't heard back from emobility nor Dustin, but I'm supposing they're not going to reply to something like this out of concern for admitting liability. But I'm sure we'll see it fixed if it hasn't been already in 2.3.

It kicks in quite frequently for me., I have posted about this including a video in which it happened. I have had to adjust my driving habits because of it. I back up slowly now and approach anything behind me (even a curb) as a possible auto brake event. . IMHO, the bumper sensors are positioned too low. Actually the whole design of the bumper is poor. Needing to make a hood for the license plate light + no dedicated license plate mount + low sensors are just some issues so far.
Did you take it to your dealer and have them check the calibration, etc.? I had something similar happen in both of my Audi's, an A3 with advanced parking in the rear and a Q5 with detection in the front using the camera. Both times, it ended up being an alignment issue. The A3 was under warranty, the Q5 I ended up paying for since it was part of a total car alignment that wasn't covered under warranty.

Seems to me like a curb shouldn't, to your point, set off the parking sensors. But I don't know what the calibration height is for these cars.

2021 VW ID4 FE
Did you take it to your dealer and have them check the calibration, etc.? I had something similar happen in both of my Audi's, an A3 with advanced parking in the rear and a Q5 with detection in the front using the camera. Both times, it ended up being an alignment issue. The A3 was under warranty, the Q5 I ended up paying for since it was part of a total car alignment that wasn't covered under warranty.

Seems to me like a curb shouldn't, to your point, set off the parking sensors. But I don't know what the calibration height is for these cars.
I am spoiled by Tesla OTA fixes and mobile service. Going to dealership is a failure with a ground up EV. Never seen a Tesla service location in over 24k miles and friends owning TM3 and TMY haven鈥檛 either. If VW is going to competitive, they should separate dealerships from ID vehicles and adopt Tesla repair methods. I will wait till 10k and reassess then.

Yeah, I don't disagree. But they can't fix an alignment issue OTA. ;) Tesla of course would send someone to your house to get your car, etc. etc. But I suspect an alignment would have to still go back to the shop somewhere.

I was in a local body shop yesterday that is a high end body shop for all the high end brands and exotics (have a scratch in the bumper of our Audi that I need to get fixed). They charge a $1000 fee specific to Tesla for any body work that needs to be done. I didn't ask why, but I noticed it looking at their published price list. Thought it was interesting.

2021 VW ID4 FE
Yeah, I don't disagree. But they can't fix an alignment issue OTA. ;) Tesla of course would send someone to your house to get your car, etc. etc. But I suspect an alignment would have to still go back to the shop somewhere.

I was in a local body shop yesterday that is a high end body shop for all the high end brands and exotics (have a scratch in the bumper of our Audi that I need to get fixed). They charge a $1000 fee specific to Tesla for any body work that needs to be done. I didn't ask why, but I noticed it looking at their published price list. Thought it was interesting.
Yes, I wouldn鈥檛 want to need any body/repair work with a Tesla, it鈥檚 been well documented that it鈥檚 a nightmare and costs are exorbitant. I don鈥檛 know how they are going to repair 鈥渃asted鈥 vehicles, probably going to be considered total loss if enough damage. Tesla is similar to Apple in that respect, each version is getting less repairable. Fortunately I didn鈥檛 need any front end alignments. My M3 had one of the most stout underpinnings of any vehicle I have owned. I drove it hard, it tracked straight, tires wore evenly, steering wheel dead straight and never pulled.

ID.4 Pro S AWD
They charge a $1000 fee specific to Tesla for any body work that needs to be done. I didn't ask why, but I noticed it looking at their published price list. Thought it was interesting.
Sounds like "Tesla Tax"

that auto-brake when going reverse is a bit sensitive for my driving style as I back out like the video showed above, and had that happen twice so far. I'm now slower when going backward...

I was recently sitting in my car, street parked, and there was a parking spot in front of me. one SUV begins to park there, and there was plenty of space, but the reverse light wouldn't go off for +30 second. I was confused and afraid that the car would back out if the driver leaves. of course, I see the driver coming out of the car, one leg out, one hand on the phone, and the car began to back out towards my car. I panicked and honked, she also panicked and braked. I started to breathe again, and the car backed up more, still with one leg out of the car... what?! eventually, she put the car on park, and got out of the car. She looked at me if nothing happened and continued to be on her phone.

It's too easy to be distracted by other things when driving. when I first got my license long time ago, I've made mistakes like accelerating instead of braking when rushing to park, etc. I think there's always going to be human errors, but it'd be nice if our fancy cars can help with that too :)

2021 VW ID4 FE
Looks like its well positioned. Don't think the wheels are meant to touch the kerb.
This was the exact position that vehicle was at when the abrupt braking event occurred. I was quite far from the curb, VW needs to recalibrate sensors.

This was the exact position that vehicle was at when the abrupt braking event occurred. I was quite far from the curb, VW needs to recalibrate sensors.
I found this thread on a different forum for VW cars on this subject with a similar discussion.

Parking sensors - Volkswagen T-Roc Forums (trocforums.co.uk)

So I looked that the EU version of the manual I downloaded from a link here and the ID.4 has the same system is appears. Maybe there is a setting that can be adjusted about how aggressive PDC is? If you weren't getting the red bars shown in the picture below in Fig. 115 before the engagement, and assuming PDC was on, then I think your system needs to get checked out by a dealer myself as you're right something doesn't seem right.

Font Material property Screenshot Web page Electric blue

41 - 60 of 64 Posts