Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
2021 ID.4 1st Edition Blue Dusk
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already have one of these cameras installed on my 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SEL. This is a Dual Dash Cam that records video both to the front and inside the cabin. Because I placed it right next to the rearview mirror, it will record whatever I can see myself from the rearview mirror.

This camera will record as soon as the car is moving and, it also features "Parking Mode triggered by the motion detection or collision detection. Motion detection enables the dual car camera to start record instantly when it detects movement in front or cabin of the vehicle; Collision detection enables the front and rear dash cam to auto power on and starts record if any crash is detected."

See attached step by step write up.

What I bought:

1. Vantrue N2S Dual 2.5K Dash Cam with GPS

2. Samsung Electronics EVO Select 256GB MicroSDXC UHS-I U3 100MB/s Full HD & 4K UHD Memory Card with Adapter (MB-ME256HA)

3. Vantrue 11.5ft Type C USB 12V 24V to 5V Dash Cam Hardwire Kit
The hardwire kit "has a smart low voltage protection system that will automatically shut off the power to your dash cam when the battery voltage drops to 11.6V or 22.8V, thus preventing it draining the battery.

Attachments

·
196 Posts
I was looking at owlcam or blackvue due to the wireless connection. Yours looks pretty good as well with the little internal screen and internal camera but I would really like to have something like a sentry mode. Any suggestions.

·
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was looking at owlcam or blackvue due to the wireless connection. Yours looks pretty good as well with the little internal screen and internal camera but I would really like to have something like a sentry mode. Any suggestions.
I used to have both the owl and raven.

The owl sat in the middle of the windshield. The raven was too close to the dash and on the ID, the infotainment would block the cabin camera.

I returned them both because I didn't want to pay the monthly fees.

I got the vantrue because is a one time purchase, had GPS and can be powdered without having to use the ODBII port.

·
380 Posts
Thanks @javi_ID4 for the recommendation. Have you installed a 2nd camera on your ID.4 or are you planning to move it from your Sportwagen? If so, it would be great if you can take some photos of your setup. Also, I'm wondering how much battery is drained while in parking mode. I'm assuming minimal.

·
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The PDF attached is the installation of the camera on the ID.4. The hardwired kit has a shut off function when the battery goes below 11.6v.

·
380 Posts
The PDF attached is the installation of the camera on the ID.4. The hardwired kit has a shut off function when the battery goes below 11.6v
Thanks. Sorry, obviously I missed the pdf before. Can you please post pictures that show the camera mounted to the windshield to show how it looks?

·
196 Posts
Thanks a lot for the detail. I will for sure consider this. I ordered and awd so delivery is still several months away in the fall.

·
56 Posts
I have had issues with DashCam's in parking modes even when using the low voltage kits. They still seem to drain my battery and it is real frustrating. I have had these cameras installed by "professional" audio tech shops, so I assume they knew what they were doing. Have you experience problems trying to start a vehicle after a few days of not driving it and having the dash DashCam on parking mode?

·
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I have had issues with DashCam's in parking modes even when using the low voltage kits. They still seem to drain my battery and it is real frustrating. I have had these cameras installed by "professional" audio tech shops, so I assume they knew what they were doing. Have you experience problems trying to start a vehicle after a few days of not driving it and having the dash DashCam on parking mode?
I self installed my original camera since 8/28/18. Never had a problem. I do, however carry with me a 12V Portable Car Lithium Jump Starter just in case. I've never had to use it on any of my cars, but used it by helping people in parking lots needing a jump.

·
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a lot for the detail. I will for sure consider this. I ordered and awd so delivery is still several months away in the fall.
Here you go. Not the best pictures. But hopefully it will help.

Attachments

·
18 Posts
Very cool setup. I wonder if there’s anything similar to that hardwire kit that can be used to install additional sockets in the front of the vehicle. I believe there’s only one located in the back, correct?

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
415 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the ID.3 and ID.4 should both have the feature where the car can automatically replenish the 12V battery from the main battery whenever it gets too low, right?

·
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
56 Posts
Thank you for the pics, glad to see you used the suction cup, gives me a better idea of the space it will take up. I have seen other similar ones for sale on Amazon, but if you have had luck with this, why bother looking around for something I know nothing about. I installed an inexpensive dashcam in our Toyota Rav4 Prime but it was not hard wired. Guess I will just need to get my confidence up to work on the hard wire installation. I also see some that go connected to the OBDII plug of the vehicle, wonder how those would work out

·
56 Posts
Clarification on instructions: You say to take F52 Fuse out and after placing in ATO reinstall in SAME SLOT F25. Did you mean F52?

·
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Clarification on instructions: You say to take F52 Fuse out and after placing in ATO reinstall in SAME SLOT F25. Did you mean F52?
Yes. I meant to say F52. I fixed it on the document also. Good catch. I guess my dyslexia kicked in 🤷‍♀️

·
380 Posts
@javi_ID4 I have a few questions on parking mode in relation to your Vantrue N2S that I'm hoping you can please answer:

1. Have you noticed if the internal facing camera has trouble activating with motion events on the sides or rear of the car, within the camera's normal purview. I'm wondering how well the camera operates in a "sentry" mode for capturing rear and side facing events, assuming there is good lighting outside.​
2. I assume IR illumination on internal facing camera only helps captures video inside vehicle. Correct? Or does some IR illumination extend just beyond the outside of the car to help capture motion & events?​
3. Now that you've had the camera installed for about 1.5 weeks, can you please comment if you've noticed the battery drain on the main pack from parking mode use?​
Also, I noticed the SD card you recommended was not a high endurance card such as this one. I always thought a dash camera needed a card that was specifically rated for high number of write cycles. Since you've had a similar camera on your Golf for some time, do you have experience with the card you recommended over long period of time in a dash cam. I wasn't sure if you found the high endurance cards too slow or if there was a specific reason you chose what you chose. Thank you.

·
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
@javi_ID4

1. Have you noticed if the internal facing camera has trouble activating with motion events on the sides or rear of the car, within the camera's normal purview. I'm wondering how well the camera operates in a "sentry" mode for capturing rear and side facing events, assuming there is good lighting outside.​
2. I assume IR illumination on internal facing camera only helps captures video inside vehicle. Correct? Or does some IR illumination extend just beyond the outside of the car to help capture motion & events?​
3. Now that you've had the camera installed for about 1.5 weeks, can you please comment if you've noticed the battery drain on the main pack from parking mode use?​
Also, I noticed the SD card you recommended was not a high endurance card such as this one. I always thought a dash camera needed a card that was specifically rated for high number of write cycles. Since you've had a similar camera on your Golf for some time, do you have experience with the card you recommended over long period of time in a dash cam. I wasn't sure if you found the high endurance cards too slow or if there was a specific reason you chose what you chose. Thank you.
1. I have not tried to sneak behind the car to test if the motion detector works. Vantrue has a 3 channel camera available. That you can enable the sentry mode. Unfortunately, it does not come with the GPS unit which is another expense.
Here is a review

2. The IR only works inside the cabin.

3. I have not plugged the car to charge since Sunday. This morning I went out and I had no issues. Also, on the Golf, I've never had issues with the camera draining the battery.

4. My specific reason, it was $20 cheaper than the Vantrue one. Also, I have never had an issue with the SD card not working or recording video on the Golf. I've parked the car outside under the sun and when I come in the car, I can see that the camera is recording with no errors.

·
380 Posts
@javi_ID4 Thank you for your detailed & fast response. Again, your documentation on your initial install and your answers here are appreciated. I hadn't studied Vantrue dash cams before your initial post. I'm going with your same model since it seems to offer a great deal of value & functionality in a relatively easy to install package. Nice recommendation.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts