Volkswagen ID Forum banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
2021 VW ID4 1st Edition
116 Posts
I have one issue with my install - my wireless charger doesnt work. I think this is the reason why

·
1 Posts
I've been trying to hardwire my Vava dual dashcam using fuse F52, but haven't had any success.

Edit: Solved my problem. I misread the directions and expected F52 to power my dashcam via hardwire when F52 was only to power the trunk cigarette port. The options I found else where were:
  1. F46 - Always on
  2. F48, F66 - only on when the ignition is on

·
83 Posts
Anyone else using always on parking mode feature with a protection that shuts off the camera after reaching a threshold? I’m worried this might drain the battery even with the safety feature. Or am I overthinking?

·
VW ID.4 Pro Glacier White Metallic
214 Posts
Did anyone remove the A-pillar to route the cables? or was there enough room to somehow slide the cable under the airbag?

·
45 Posts
I didn't remove it, just used one of the trim tools to pry open the A-pillar a bit and work the USB cable line in.

Did anyone remove the A-pillar to route the cables? or was there enough room to somehow slide the cable under the airbag?

·
98 Posts
I didn't remove it. I routed the cable over the airbag (which was quite tough) then had enough room with just the side of it pried off to route down to the pillar to the fuse box.

·
10 Posts
Switched 12V can be found above the mirror. Check my radar detector thread for the correct wires to tap:

Sounds like a great idea instead of sending the wire all over to the fuse box. How strong is the fuse for the mirror though?

·
VW ID.4 Pro Glacier White Metallic
214 Posts
Sounds like a great idea instead of sending the wire all over to the fuse box. How strong is the fuse for the mirror though?
That'll depend on what you want your dash cam to do... Only record during driving or you need parking mode as well? If record only driving, the mirror tap option should be sufficient and much easier and cleaner install. If you need parking mode, you'll need a hardwire kit and power via fuse box or dash cam battery pack.

Be sure to purchase a good dash cam that has parking mode, like a Viofo A129 ($150, 2 channel) or A139 ($250, 3 channel) or Blueskysea B4K (1 channel, $100 on sale + $30 rear cam). Or some premium brands from Korean manufacturers like Blackvue or Thinkware.

·
24 Posts
completed the dashcam install today. Props to @javi_ID4 for the detailed instructions! really helpful. I did basically the exact same thing except I used the vantrue adhesive mount rather than the suction cup. Now onto the 12V socket mod

View attachment 4478 View attachment 4479 View attachment 4480
This is a super clean install. I'm hoping to do this as well. One question I had for you was if you're happy with the camera position mounted to the bottom of the mirror housing?
Also - did you notch the mirror housing in some manner to route the cable through it? If so what type of tool did you use? many thanks

·
45 Posts
This is a super clean install. I'm hoping to do this as well. One question I had for you was if you're happy with the camera position mounted to the bottom of the mirror housing?
Also - did you notch the mirror housing in some manner to route the cable through it? If so what type of tool did you use? many thanks
yeah I'm ok with the camera position. I would've liked to have mounted the camera a bit further forward, towards the front of the car/down the windshield, as right now the framing shows some of the dash and hood of the car, and the vantrue N2S doesn't have crop or zoom adjustment.

I didn't have destroy any plastic do to the cabling. I just pushed the cable into the gap between the mirror housing and the windshield using a plastic trim tool.

·
ID.4 FE Blue
170 Posts
Would love a dash cam, but am not happy with extra device and wiring. It’s all there: forward and back facing cameras, usb ports. Something VW hopefully copies from Tesla soon.

·
58 Posts
I connected my car cam to the USB-C using an adapter and it runs from that outlet without any issues. I didn't need to make any complicated connections to the fuse box.

·
108 Posts

·
Pro S Gradient RWD White / Black
203 Posts
Here's the Aliexpress link to the integrated dash cam that @BruceLee showed off in his photos.
Darn it, I just hardwired an Akeeyo 360 degree mirror dashcam, had to cover up my $$$ homelink mirror. This looks very professional! I think it is somewhat written in there, but not sure, can this dashcam record the rear (attach a second camera on the back) ?

·
108 Posts
Darn it, I just hardwired an Akeeyo 360 degree mirror dashcam, had to cover up my $$$ homelink mirror. This looks very professional! I think it is somewhat written in there, but not sure, can this dashcam record the rear (attach a second camera on the back) ?
I was initially interested in the 4K version but there is also a version with 1440p front camera and 1080p rear. If given the choice for clearer front and no back or decent front and back, I think I’d rather have front and back.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts