Volkswagen ID Forum banner

MY2021 Sporadic Warnings and Electrical Faults

3K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  Starkitect19 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a model year 2021 ID4 where in slightly over a year of ownership, I have encountered numerous sporadic warnings and electrical fault below. Wanted to check with other owners on this forum if you are experiencing any of these as well.

-limited travel assist
-limited travel assist
-front assist is not available
-travel assist is currently not available
-electrical fault. Visit dealer (this one does not allow me to put car into drive until I lock car and reopen again which has happened several times)
-Malfunction in dynamic cornering lighting
-and many others…

My most recent encounter was last night relating to lighting with a malfunction of the dynamic cornering lights.

I posted this post in the anticipated software infotainment update but other drivers are saying that the update will not resolve these issues.

If that is really the case, I’m definitely thinking about bringing up the lemon law to VW Corporate. If my car is not even super old yet and is having all these random sporadic errors, think about what happens once the warranty expires. Anyone else facing these issues?

Plant Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive design

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive design

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering part

Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car Wheel

Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle Wheel

See less See more
#4 ·
The 12v battery is a known weak design that can cause all those cascading and strange errors. Did you see any messages about the 12v? This is why there is a recall in progress in the EU, and soon in the US but here they are calling it an "update". Its also why they changed the type of battery and the BMS in 22 and 23 cars. Do you have a voltmeter or an OBD dongle to check it?

#5 ·
12V battery test under load for SOH with terminals removed, have you done this?
Set service department appointment for all issues you have facing and provide pictures you have already. Also keep log of time and dates when it is happening, when driving ir standing still, any other errors that prevent you from starting vehicle. Most of issues regarding matrix lights and nannies are related to the front windshield camera ( make sure you keep this part of windshield clean).... driving in snow or icy rain where ice is building over sensors on front bumper and side sensors will trigger this issue.
Providing as much as possible explaining how and when it happening will help technician to recreate issue.

#6 ·
12V battery test under load for SOH with terminals removed, have you done this?
Set service department appointment for all issues you have facing and provide pictures you have already. Also keep log of time and dates when it is happening, when driving ir standing still, any other errors that prevent you from starting vehicle. Most of issues regarding matrix lights and nannies are related to the front windshield camera ( make sure you keep this part of windshield clean).... driving in snow or icy rain where ice is building over sensors on front bumper and side sensors will trigger this issue.
Providing as much as possible explaining how and when it happening will help technician to recreate issue.
Yes, it is a lot of work owning/driving a 2021 id.4. I have stopped tracking the little annoying faults in the software. The part about driving carefully is fun. The other great fun about the car is waiting for VW to remember that they owe us an update on that beta level software they shipped with our cars. I am also enjoying the launch of the 2023 models and the surprises the new owners are finding in the "Production" software in the new cars.

#7 ·
I've had travel assist, electrical system and just last night for the first time the lifting system error. The annoying thing is they clear themselves out after sitting for about 30 mins, so they aren't stored in the cars memory. I have an appointment with the regional service rep on Tuesday and will bring all of these up.

#8 ·
Everything I've read about lemon law suggests that it's usually the last resort after everything else has failed. Keep great records and document every dealer communication and service visit. Save those service invoices. Hopefully the dealer will take care of these issues and you won't need to go that far. Good luck!

#12 ·
I have had these things pop up only a couple times and only when I did something a little too frantic:

One time I pulled into a spot at the mall. Opened the door and lifted off the seat about an inch and didn’t like how I parked so I sat back down and started it again to creep up. Errors. Went inside and it was fine when I got out.

This past week, plugged in my L1, didn’t think I got it in all the way so I pulled it out and put it right back in, all within a second or two. Errors. Unplugged it, went inside, went out later to plug it in again and it was fine.

Of course I think it’s idiotic, but I just have to keep going slow until the battery and software updates come. (Soon, right?)

Reactions: Eric Nay
#16 ·
As one owner has suggested, I’m going to keep track of all these incidents. Planning to have a clip board, user name and time of incident of proof every time when I snap a picture of fault.

Does anyone know how long the warranty for our cars are when it comes to these defects? Really want to get these sorted out before warranty expires and hopefully not have a bigger problem on my hands.

Planning to bring the car in as first attempt to get these resolve. I believe that under the lemon law, the company has three tries to fix before it is consider a lemon, can someone confirm? I’m currently in CA.

#25 ·
I have a model year 2021 ID4 where in slightly over a year of ownership, I have encountered numerous sporadic warnings and electrical fault below. Wanted to check with other owners on this forum if you are experiencing any of these as well.

-limited travel assist
-front assist is not available
-travel assist is currently not available
-electrical fault. Visit dealer (this one does not allow me to put car into drive until I lock car and reopen again which has happened several times)
-Malfunction in dynamic cornering lighting
-and many others…

My most recent encounter was last night relating to lighting with a malfunction of the dynamic cornering lights.
Just FYI, my 2021 Pro S has done to me everything on your list with the possible exception of the malfunctioning dynamic cornering lighting.

The “limited travel assist” and “front assist is not available” errors are commonly caused by the front camera not seeing well and can often be resolved by using your windshield wipers/washer. Sometimes the car even suggests that.

#28 ·
There are retained error logs, however, since there are so many Bus transients the serious errors may be getting written over. The whole error recording and processing in the car seems incomplete and not what you would expect from todays software design. It really looks like the software team for VW were not very sophisticated.

#32 ·
I’m getting sporadic Fault: Vehicle Lighting error messages again but they only appear for a few seconds and disappear. So far I haven’t noticed any issues with the lighting yet but these random pop ups are making me nervous. Has anyone else seen this or have any tips to offer?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.