Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the app is working I have one question...Has anyone found it useful for anything? I certainly have not. The only function that I can see that seems useful is to pre-heat the car. Tried doing that this morning...error, try again later...trudge out to the garage to do it manually. Pretty underwhelming for a $50K car (love the car, but the app is useless).

·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That about sums it up. At least with a new car, you should be able to see its location. I use it to see my state of charge because I charge at an L2 public charger.
I may have unreasonable expectations as I am comparing it to my $100 smart home thermostat. On the thermostat I can do almost everything on my phone that I can do physically and it happens within seconds. Warm up the house before I get home? Give me 5 seconds. Too high of a bar maybe?

·
2023 ID 4 Pro S AWD Pearl Black/Galaxy
200 Posts
I am able to:

1. See my cars location - not sure why I need this feature since I tend to remember where I left it.
  2. Turn on the heat and defrost in the morning - this is the MOST IMPORTANT feature for me and the only one I really need.
  3. Search for an address and send it to the GPS in the ID.4 - This is a pretty cool feature in my opinion, but seems to take a little too long to send the address which makes it less useful.

·
2020 Ford Escape Titanium 2.0 Turbo
162 Posts
Could just be reception issue. Are you able to do this when car parked outside?

·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could just be reception issue. Are you able to do this when car parked outside?
My cell phone is also on Verizon and gets great reception from my garage. My real complaint is just the underwhelming app as a whole. IMO, you should be able to access almost every function in the infotainment system that you can while you have your butt in the seat. Some exceptions obviously (i.e. no real use for the audio system if I am not in the car). It has the feel of "hmm...we need an app...anyone have an intern that we can put on it".

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
5,231 Posts
Now that the app is working I have one question...Has anyone found it useful for anything?
Yes.

I'm not going to oversell it. It's a completely underwhelming, feature-deficient app.

But checking state of charge is useful. Stopping/starting charge is useful (particularly because my scheduled charging doesn't work). And as others have said, cabin climitization is useful.

I do expect we'll get more features eventually. I hope I'm not wrong.

·
Blue ProS RWD is in my garage! Only took 187 days.
1,258 Posts
One thing that will drain the battery is keeping the communication pipe open all the time. Your thermostat is online all the time because it has a constant power source. To prevent vampire leaks the car has to come up with a schedule to check in, and keep subsystems powered off except when needed.

With that having been said, yes, I agree, the app is like something written in a weekend by an intern. Not a dumb intern, in fact probably smart, but possibly drunk.

·
166 Posts
We use the MyVW app for two things only: to warm up the car on a winter morning before we go out for a drive; and to check the state of charge without going out into the garage. I can't find anything else that it's good for.

·
2021 ID.4 Pro S RWD
32 Posts
It seems the EU (Car Net) version has more functions than the US! US changed the name to MyVW. If you watched the VW videos of Car Net it did some much more and I thought that we would get the same. Has anyone verified that the location is not the car but your cell phone location??

·
2023 ID 4 Pro S AWD Pearl Black/Galaxy
200 Posts
It seems the EU (Car Net) version has more functions than the US! US changed the name to MyVW. If you watched the VW videos of Car Net it did some much more and I thought that we would get the same. Has anyone verified that the location is not the car but your cell phone location??
I have verified the location shown is the car, not the cell phone.
I used the app while my wife was out at a Dr. appointment, and the app showed the car 5 miles away at the doctor's office.

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
5,231 Posts
Doesn't the European customer base get We Connect?

The location is based on the car OS. Us original 2.1ers see our cell phone location on the app's map. Under3.0 shows the actual vehicle's whereabouts.

·
2022 id4 AWD Pro
26 Posts
With zero app expectations- I use it several times per day. State of charge/time left to reach ‘charge state’/ climate control. Location works but I don’t want to know what my wife is up to. 🫥
so I’m ok with it for now.

·
1,753 Posts
Now that the app is working I have one question...Has anyone found it useful for anything? I certainly have not. The only function that I can see that seems useful is to pre-heat the car. Tried doing that this morning...error, try again later...trudge out to the garage to do it manually. Pretty underwhelming for a $50K car (love the car, but the app is useless).
It gets a lot of hate, and rightfully so, but it has a few useful functions. To me, it’s a textbook example of “absolutely minimum viable product”.

The funny thing is that the current version for the ID.4 is somewhat improved over what it was, say, 6 months ago — for me, it now connects more reliably, responds more quickly, and now tells me how much longer remains in hours and minutes until it will reach the target SoC. Tiny, baby steps, but something, I suppose. Still, it has sucked for many years, so I wouldn’t hold out much hope for drastic improvement. (I used to use it when it was CarNet on my e-Golf before the 3g network got shut down, and there were many more functions available, though it was even slower and more unreliable, if you can imagine that.)

·
2021 AWD Pro S
2,865 Posts
is somewhat improved over what it was, say, 6 months ago
They also made it somewhat worse when they removed the display of the date/time the SOC was last updated. Now you never know if the SOC displayed is current, which makes it worse than not looking at it since its very unreliable on whether it is up to date or not. Mine is less reliable at connecting now, I was at 90% working for the first 4 months, now I am at about 50% connecting.

·
1,753 Posts
They also made it somewhat worse when they removed the display of the date/time the SOC was last updated. Now you never know if the SOC displayed is current, which makes it worse than not looking at it since its very unreliable on whether it is up to date or not. Mine is less reliable at connecting now, I was at 90% working for the first 4 months, now I am at about 50% connecting.
Yeah, seems like with the app, when they fix one thing they break two other things. It really would be almost comical to watch if I didn’t actually care whether or not cabin preheating worked in the cold months. But I do want at least that to work reliably.

·
Volkswagen ID.4 Pro RWD
24 Posts
Yup it's horrible. Works when it wants to, sends alerts when it want's to. Needs to be taken out back and sent out to pasture. Beyond that the car at least 2022 ID.4 I own is solid, performs well and hopefully when VW figures out software they will update the infotainment and make it more stable.

·
81 Posts
My '23 is requiring me to use the app to log into the car and set up users. Does anyone know how to use the app to scan the QR code the car puts up onto the screen? Technically, it says to use the "Car-net" app but it seems that no longer exists...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts