Volkswagen ID Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
33 Posts
No good update here. They called me earlier saying their still working with the engineer @ vw. And I didn’t get a call, so they’ll be keeping the car overnight for another round of testing tomorrow.

·
33 Posts
Got updated. From what they're saying, the navigation software "didn't install properly" compared to other ID.4 that they were able to read from their scan tool (can be translated into a software issue, bad install of that part of the system, etc).

They're telling me that the software is so large that it won't be OTA. A VW engineer will be bringing in a tool tomorrow to reload the system to see if this will fix the issue. So my car will now be at the dealer until tomorrow afternoon (if it's fixed).

So total time at the dealer is now going to be 3 days at this point. Should I be raising hell?

@ErickF what came with your dealing with the dealer on your situation?
(Nevermind, it was another user that was having this issue)

·
Proud FE owner
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Got updated. From what they're saying, the navigation software "didn't install properly" compared to other ID.4 that they were able to read from their scan tool (can be translated into a software issue, bad install of that part of the system, etc).

They're telling me that the software is so large that it won't be OTA. A VW engineer will be bringing in a tool tomorrow to reload the system to see if this will fix the issue. So my car will now be at the dealer until tomorrow afternoon (if it's fixed).

So total time at the dealer is now going to be 3 days at this point. Should I be raising hell?

@ErickF what came with your dealing with the dealer on your situation?
(Nevermind, it was another user that was having this issue)
Thanks for the update. My ID.4 has an appointment tomorrow for this issue. This makes me wonder if it will also need to wait for the engineer/tool before the fix can be made.

I wouldn't raise hell. You might ask Customer Care for a Homelink mirror for your troubles (or some swag). While I expected to be a guinea pig and have some inconvenience for being "first," I'm not bashful of making a reasonable request for my time. These issues should have been identified pre-delivery.

·
301 Posts
Thanks for the update. My ID.4 has an appointment tomorrow for this issue. This makes me wonder if it will also need to wait for the engineer/tool before the fix can be made.

I wouldn't raise hell. You might ask Customer Care for a Homelink mirror for your troubles (or some swag). While I expected to be a guinea pig and have some inconvenience for being "first," I'm not bashful of making a reasonable request for my time. These issues should have been identified pre-delivery.
Or a Big Mac at Mickey Dee's. That's actually what my navigation system called it, really😂🤣😂.
Some programmer has a sense of humor.

·
Proud FE owner
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
My service manager let me know that a VW tech is scheduled onsite for my ID.4 tomorrow. 🤞

·
Proud FE owner
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The VW tech drove up from Portland, OR this morning and just before 1PM I get the call from the service manager and it's fixed!

·
596 Posts
The VW tech drove up from Portland, OR this morning and just before 1PM I get the call from the service manager and it's fixed!
Glad to hear you are on the road to getting your car back, working. Disappointed, but not surprised, to hear your dealer didn't have the equipment/skills to repair your car.

·
Proud FE owner
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Glad to hear you are on the road to getting your car back, working. Disappointed, but not surprised, to hear your dealer didn't have the equipment/skills to repair your car.
I think it's more about VoA wanting to be very hands-on with resolving issues with the early deliveries and not burden dealerships. It's been very "white glove" from everyone since I reported the issue. I have two people in customer care personally monitoring things and corresponding with me regularly. My dealership's service manager as been my single POC and my sales person has been in contact. I am extremely happy for how it's being handled.

·
ID.4 1st Edition
149 Posts
The voice activated navigation is so bad compared to Siri. It doesn’t understand basic POIs. I doubt I’ll be using it much.

·
2021 ID.4 First Edition / Dusk Blue
47 Posts
Interestingly, I have the same problem -- but it didn't happen on Day 1. There were things I liked about the onboard Nav, but they somehow faded away! I didn't experience the "please wait" issues for a week. Unless there are OTA updates I'm unaware of, there haven't been any software changes.

Needless to say, I find Siri to be much better now.

·
Proud FE owner
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
From a turn-by-turn POV, Google and Waze are certainly a step up. I give the onboard nav a leg up with the integration with the ID.Light and the "politeness" of the voice prompts. It was important to get the nav fixed for the emergency features among others (even if the mapping isn't quite where dedicated apps are).

·
10 Posts
I love the car. However, we find the Navigation system built in to be useless. We were recently supposed to meet a friend at a certain restaurant and it gave us an address 13 miles away. It turns out that the restaurant was a chain and the one we were supposed to meet our friend at was about a mile from our original destination. It simply did not offer that as an option. Also when trying to decide where to stop for a charge, the Navigation system gave a distance of 35 miles to the nearest EA charging station. When we put the address into Google Maps, Apple Maps and Waze, they all showed a distance of 60+ miles. Since we had about 60 miles left of charge we could have been stranded if we had used the navigation system. Has no one else had this problem? If not, maybe it is a fixable software issue.

·
Proud FE owner
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I love the car. However, we find the Navigation system built in to be useless. We were recently supposed to meet a friend at a certain restaurant and it gave us an address 13 miles away. It turns out that the restaurant was a chain and the one we were supposed to meet our friend at was about a mile from our original destination. It simply did not offer that as an option. Also when trying to decide where to stop for a charge, the Navigation system gave a distance of 35 miles to the nearest EA charging station. When we put the address into Google Maps, Apple Maps and Waze, they all showed a distance of 60+ miles. Since we had about 60 miles left of charge we could have been stranded if we had used the navigation system. Has no one else had this problem? If not, maybe it is a fixable software issue.
Dustin Krause has stated that they will be updating POI's, including charging locations, with forthcoming OTA's. It's a third-party that provides the database. Mapping by address would be no different than Google/Apple/Waze.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
626 Posts
Has no one else had this problem? If not, maybe it is a fixable software issue.
Yeah, the builtin navi is pretty weak in this area.

Routing with optimum charging is actually kind of a tricky problem. The best I have found so far is to use ABRP to plan the route (including amenity stops, like hotel, restaurant, etc), then share the route with google maps, which causes Android Auto to pick up the route that you planned.

But this is a work in progress all over the place, so something better may come up in the future.

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
328 Posts
You can also use ABRP via CarPlay. For optimum EV route planning, I've found ABRP to be basically unbeatable. Even a huge swath of Tesla owners use ABRP for route planning (ABRP has some neat Tesla integrations via your Tesla account). What I've generally done is plan the route with ABRP which generally doesn't take long once you've configured the settings to suit your vehicle and specific trip. Then, let it decide where I should stop and then plug in those multiple destinations to the vehicle's built-in nav and let it do its thing. Of course, if you're using AA you can just share the ABRP route with Google Maps, and if you're using CarPlay you can just use the ABRP app directly for your navigation. I'm a self-professed Apple fanboy, but I prefer most newer OE built-in navs over CarPlay.

·
214 Posts
You can also use ABRP via CarPlay. For optimum EV route planning, I've found ABRP to be basically unbeatable. Even a huge swath of Tesla owners use ABRP for route planning (ABRP has some neat Tesla integrations via your Tesla account). What I've generally done is plan the route with ABRP which generally doesn't take long once you've configured the settings to suit your vehicle and specific trip. Then, let it decide where I should stop and then plug in those multiple destinations to the vehicle's built-in nav and let it do its thing. Of course, if you're using AA you can just share the ABRP route with Google Maps, and if you're using CarPlay you can just use the ABRP app directly for your navigation. I'm a self-professed Apple fanboy, but I prefer most newer OE built-in navs over CarPlay.
The beta of ABRP also supports using it directly in Android Auto now! I haven't had a chance to try it out yet but I'm fairly excited about future potential road trips and such.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
626 Posts
The beta of ABRP also supports using it directly in Android Auto now! I haven't had a chance to try it out yet but I'm fairly excited about future potential road trips and such.
Yeah, I have tried it. But it doesn't let me pinch or move the map, so for the time being, it isn't sufficiently useful for me. Undoubtedly this is something that will improve and change. That's how I tried using ABRP on the phone, and sending the route to the map.

I would note that PlugShare also claims to be able to do routing, and it is now out of beta for Android Auto.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts