Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in a fully configured ID4, but can't seem to figure out the final price and how they are getting to it. The website shows the total as $49,675. But when I add up the components it doesn't seem to add up:

• Pro S (Statement): $48,175
  • Gradient package: $1,500
  • AWD: $3,680

That adds up to $53,355, but the configurator shows a price of $49,675 with a footnote saying "Savings include potential tax incentives based off location." I happen to be in California. The delta between 49,675 and 53,355 is $3,680 which coincidentally is the exact price of AWD (see above). So the delta implies the California tax incentive is $3680, if I understand correctly.

A few questions:
  • Is it really a coincidence that the California state incentive and AWD are both $3,680? I thought the CA incentive was less -- like $1500 or $2500. It seems like the math doesn't add up.
  • Is the California thing deducted from the price or just a California tax credit I need to claim next April? In other words, would I actually write a check for $49,675 or some higher number and later file something with CA to get some rebate or tax credit?
  • Regardless of the above final price (whether it's $49K+ or $53K+), is that pre-tax? Will I need to actually pay another ~$5,000 in taxes over and above the $49K+ or $53K+ price?

I know there's also the $7,500 federal tax credit that gets baked into my taxes later. But I'm trying to figure out what I would actually pay out the door, assuming no mark-ups by the dealer, before the federal tax credit.

Thanks

·
ID.4 1st Edition Blue (acquired 4/20/2021)
131 Posts
You will also pay destination charge (if not in above), tax, title, license, etc….Out the door price will be higher unless there are discounts (which have reportedly happened, but not likely in most cases).

·
167 Posts
You've got the AWD feature in your calculations twice. I have a Pro S RWD on reservation and the price is $44,495 (not including destination.) Add $3,680 for AWD and you are at $48,175, so no need to add it in again. Then add $1,500 for the Gradient package and you're up to $49,675. You'll also need to add the $1,195 destination charge to these numbers for the total MSRP.

·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You've got the AWD feature in your calculations twice. I have a Pro S RWD on reservation and the price is $44,495 (not including destination.) Add $3,680 for AWD and you are at $48,175, so no need to add it in again. Then add $1,500 for the Gradient package and you're up to $49,675. You'll also need to add the $1,195 destination charge to these numbers for the total MSRP.
I see. Thanks. That explains why my math wasn't adding up. The configurator makes it seem like it's an additional $3,680:

·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, it's still odd. Your numbers add up to $49,675, but someone above mentioned an instant $1500 clean fuel reward. So wouldn't that put it back down to $48,175 + destination charge, plus tax, title, etc.?

Maybe VW just doesn't take that $1500 clean fuel thing into account. But they do say the price includes state incentives, so it's very confusing. It seems like they could do a better job of laying out the numbers.

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
706 Posts
Your dealer needs to be in the rebate program. Mine wasn’t until a couple of weeks before my delivery. I doubt VW wants to take this rebate for granted. Just take the quote as the raw price before any incentive.

·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your dealer needs to be in the rebate program. Mine wasn’t until a couple of weeks before my delivery. I doubt VW wants to take this rebate for granted. Just take the quote as the raw price before any incentive.
Thanks. I called them and the guy mentioned the $1500 deduction, while glossing over the other price details, but still came up with a total price of $49,675 — which makes me wonder if he was going to pocket the difference. Or maybe my math is still off.

if they were in the rebate program wouldn’t it be the $49,675 minus $1500?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts