Volkswagen ID Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
2004 Phaeton V8
58 Posts
Ok, I switched from the Pro to the FE. I guess I am going to have to get a steering wheel cover. Between the FE and the Pro S, it's the better deal, right? Also, will the FE have a greater chance of retaining its value due to its limited supply?
For me it is the better value. For the RWD, all options for $2000 less money, earlier delivery, trailer hitch on RWD, and a little more rare. Easy call for me The white wheel seems to bring out strong feelings both ways. Personally I think it looks good, although different. I am a little concerned about it getting dirty, but it will clean and the other FE features are more important to me than that

·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Thanks for the feedback, good to know. Your ok with the white steering wheel? Am I overthinking this?

·
2004 Phaeton V8
58 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, good to know. Your ok with the white steering wheel? Am I overthinking this?
I am, but I debated it for sure. I have never had a white wheel but have had light tan ones and they can get dirty if you let them go, but I keep my cars pretty clean and just figure it will be a little task that I will need to do more often. The only thing I worry about is the white stitching getting dirty and being hard to clean

I overthink most things related to cars, so I get it! But I am going with the "it is different and looks cool to me and am going to give it a shot" thought

·
1 Posts
Just changed my Pro S to FE.

Is there a consensus here if dealers are going to charge MSRP or if there will be a markup on these? That will determine if I go forward or not. I just made sure to choose a dealer in my area that offers a new EV discount California is offering.

·
21 Posts
Ok, I switched from the Pro to the FE. I guess I am going to have to get a steering wheel cover. Between the FE and the Pro S, it's the better deal, right? Also, will the FE have a greater chance of retaining its value due to its limited supply?
A steering wheel cover may interfere with the sensors that monitor if you are holding the wheel during assisted driving.

·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Correct me if I am wrong, but it appears that VW dealers are not trying to upcharge you beyond standard fees. If so, tryi to find another dealer. My dealer told me about the new CA EV discount. So it doesn't sound like they are trying to gouge me. They are already getting MSRP.

·
257 Posts
I just received a 2nd email from VW reminding me that I can switch my reservation to the 1st edition. I wonder if they are not getting the response they thought they would?

·
230 Posts
I just received a 2nd email from VW reminding me that I can switch my reservation to the 1st edition. I wonder if they are not getting the response they thought they would?
Beyond the direct email, forums and EV news sites, who would know about the second chance 1st buy? Unless, VW mobility thought changes from Pro alone would offset 1st cancelations and make the desired number.

Or, maybe they are just being nice, and that was a "last call"? There are a lot of nice VW people there.

·
37 Posts
Beyond the direct email, forums and EV news sites, who would know about the second chance 1st buy? Unless, VW mobility thought changes from Pro alone would offset 1st cancelations and make the desired number.

Or, maybe they are just being nice, and that was a "last call"? There are a lot of nice VW people there.
Maybe VW revised their production numbers upward, or maybe VW wants to make a big splash when they first start delivering FEs. Lately, it seems like Ford‘s Mach-E is getting all the attention, so maybe competitive pressures are at play.

·
22 Posts
The original batch of FEs was snapped up in 8 hours. As of now (7:38 pm, PST, on Jan. 8) the site is still taking reservations for the FE. I recall hearing that the original FE run (for the US) was limited to 2000. I would be curious to know how many more FEs have been reserved, or will be before they shut off the tap.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 First Edition Locked-in
266 Posts
As did I. 🙂
I am expecting to pay MSRP. Not thrilled by the prospect, especially as I don't have the tax exposure to offset by a significant rebate. I would/will balk at any upcharges however as this vehicle for me is more a want then a must have. And if they're foolish enough to insist upon same they'll hear what I'm sure will become a common retort, "no thanks, I guess I'll be getting a Model Y RWD standard range." ;)

Just changed my Pro S to FE.
Is there a consensus here if dealers are going to charge MSRP or if there will be a markup on these? That will determine if I go forward or not. I just made sure to choose a dealer in my area that offers a new EV discount California is offering.

·
34 Posts
Maybe VW revised their production numbers upward, or maybe VW wants to make a big splash when they first start delivering FEs. Lately, it seems like Ford‘s Mach-E is getting all the attention, so maybe competitive pressures are at play.
I don't know why but the Mach E does not appeal to me at all...

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 First Edition Locked-in
266 Posts
It doesn't appeal to me because it's a slightly raised/inflated Mustang fastback, akin to a BMW SAV. But I do applaud Ford's effort for its intended demographic. I am not in that group as I need the stowage capacity of a CUV, and therefore prefer the ID.4's sculpted styling over a full boxy SUV.

I don't know why but the Mach E does not appeal to me at all...

·
34 Posts
It doesn't appeal to me because it's a slightly raised/inflated Mustang fastback, akin to a BMW SAV. But I do applaud Ford's effort for its intended demographic. I am not in that group as I need the stowage capacity of a CUV, and therefore prefer the ID.4's sculpted styling over a full boxy SUV.
I think that's it for me too. The styling of the Mach E honestly reminds me of the new Trailblazer.

·
156 Posts
My wife says if I get a Mach E she will never ride in it because she does not want to be associated with the demographic that buys "Mustangs". I owned a 1965 Shelby GT350 from 1967 to 1972 , but I was part of the Mustang demographic at that time (and not married to her). I know she is serious because she never rode in my 2009 Nissan GTR for the 4 years I owned it.

·
230 Posts
I was pretty close to buying the Mach-E, it has some nice features that I would like. I was okay with the looks (infinite blue), but the retro tail lights were a bit much for me, more so the price. I never had a stang (I can talk that way now as an ex-Mach-E forum member), mostly Hondas and Subarus before my crusade to try as many EVs as I could last decade.

I kind of liked the Mach-E front look and curves (could care less about a frunk or the pony). The ID.4 looks more like a generic young family or grandparents cuv to me. One of my friends says it looks like something (esp. the white steering wheel) out of a 1980's Wood Allen Sci Fi movie. It's okay to me. I like the VW blue color. It looks like it could have a plastic daisy on the telescoping FM antenna if we still had those (1960s/70s reference).

It's funny the way we all view looks. Was it here, or over at Mach-E, where someone said the Model Y looks like someone with a stocking pulled over their head! I kind of like the look of the Model 3 (another close miss for me), less so the Y, but it was still tempting.

I wonder if car looks and norms will change faster now, like the earlier Apple upgrade analogy. In the 1980s I had a craving for a Mercedes 500SL. Now it looks so dated to me.
Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 11.39.47 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 11.35.31 AM.png

·
32 Posts
To me, the ID.4 looks similar to the previous generation RAV4. Not a fan of that RAV4, but I think the ID.4 looks really good: much cleaner lines, more horizontal, a bit heftier in the front end. I think it works.

·
2021 ID.4 1st Edition (on order), 2012 CC Sport, 1986 Golf (former), 1967 Beetle (former)
348 Posts
We are "sold out" again. Let's start building!

·
35 Posts
It's funny the way we all view looks. Was it here, or over at Mach-E, where someone said the Model Y looks like someone with a stocking pulled over their head! I kind of like the look of the Model 3 (another close miss for me), less so the Y, but it was still tempting.
View attachment 1298 View attachment 1299
When you place the ID.4 and Mach-e together like that, I have to wonder about my own perception of the cars. They really share a lot in terms of general shape. The Mach-e has so much to offer over the ID.4 (range, performance, advanced tech such as phone as key, plug and charge, better infotainment, etc), but when I think of which I would rather own, I just feel better about the ID.4.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts