Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

ID.4 FE GW
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran into a new charging failure after trying to charge my car last night. This is the first time I tried plugging it in several hours after last driving it, in order to charge at a lower TOU electrical rate. Actions and results:

1. Parked car in garage around noon at 33% SOC and configured it to charge to 80% with no schedule or location set.
2. Plugged in EVSE at 9pm, charge started OK (pulsing green LED on charge port + green ID light)
3. Car-Net showed charge stopped at 10:10 pm (1hr 10m later) at ~40% SOC
4. Charge port LED was red (charge fault indication). Turned white when I unplugged.

I unplugged, replugged and got the same result. Then I did that again - 3 errors in a row after charging ~1 hour each time. No fault on the EVSE at any time. It seems that the full power of the EVSE was being used (only 24A).
I opened the car door and the message "Vehicle could not be fully charged. See Owner's manual" was shown on the steering column display. Photo attached.

Has anybody else had this problem or have any comment to offer?
I think that my car has successfully charged twice in the ~3 months I have owned it. 馃檨
ID.4_charging_fault_2021June19.jpg

2021 ID.4 First Edition (Dusk Blue)
Off the top of my head the two things I could think of causing this issue is a bad connection with the charger (ie plug needs to be firmly in the port) or an error with the EVSE. I was getting these types of errors with my old evse but the evse was throwing errors, which obviously not your case.

Have you used this evse before last night with no errors?

Super Moderator
I have never seen this message, nor have I had any problems charging with my JuiceBox. The fact that you plugged and re-plugged 3 times leads me to believe it was not a bad connection. Was it a possible problem with the EVSE? If you could try charging with a friends EVSE and have him charge with yours, you could narrow down the possibilities.

ID.4 FE GW
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This EVSE has reliably charged at least 3 other cars hundreds of times since 2012. I have only used it a few times with the ID.4 and this is the first time I have experienced an error like this ( besides the known delayed charging bugs). No fault is shown on the EVSE, and it's plug is firmly in the ID.4 charge port - cannot be pulled out without pressing the release button on the plug handle.

Dusk Blue ID.4 FE, 2X - 2004 Phaeton V8
it just seems like everything is pointing to a bad on-board charger. I really hate you are having the worst luck with yours. Do you have access to a VCDS where you can pull the codes yourself and see if anything is going wrong?

ID.4 FE GW
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all.... I'm also wondering about a bad on-board charger.
These failures happened my garage where the ambient temp was fairly warm, about 80 F, and the car's fans came on after about 20-30 minutes.
I don't have a VCDS but I'll try it again with a different EVSE tonight.

Thanks all.... I'm also wondering about a bad on-board charger.
These failures happened my garage where the ambient temp was fairly warm, about 80 F, and the car's fans came on after about 20-30 minutes.
I don't have a VCDS but I'll try it again with a different EVSE tonight.
Sounding suspiciously like the charger is overheating and shutting down. Runs good without cooling, then cooling kicks in and helps some, but eventually can't keep up and the charger trips out

good luck, I know it has to be incredibly frustrating

You don't have to have VCDS, a $15 dongle will let you check and reset codes and much more like battery temperature.

Reactions: TPG

ID.4 FE GW
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@RocketVol Thanks for your continued insight. I was hoping for a harder failure like the one I had in my Toyota RAV4 EV in 2017. The onboard charger in that car just up and died one day, making diagnosis easy. Hopefully my ID.4 stored some error codes that will be useful for diagnostics.

FWIW I'm getting used to my ID.4 having frequent problems, inclduding getting rear ended a few weeks ago (only minor damage, no injuries).

ID.4 FE GW
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You don't have to have VCDS, a $15 dongle will let you check and reset codes and much more like battery temperature.
Thanks for that tip. I just ordered the BAFX OBD2 dongle that you recommended via ebay.
Could you please recommend an Android app to use with it to check stored codes?

Or it鈥檚 not able to draw enough power once the cooling kicks in? What happens if you choose the reduce charging option on the dash?

ID.4 FE GW
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Or it鈥檚 not able to draw enough power once the cooling kicks in? What happens if you choose the reduce charging option on the dash?
Charging continues for some time (~30+ minutes) after the fans turn on. This is a 24A x 240V EVSE.

2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
Man your ID.4 is just giving you the absolute worst luck isn't it? :(

Thanks for that tip. I just ordered the BAFX OBD2 dongle that you recommended via ebay.
Could you please recommend an Android app to use with it to check stored codes?
Torque Pro on the play store is what I have been using, but don't have my ID4 yet to try it on. There is a free version to see if you like, then its $5 for pro which is worth it since it unlocks more than just check trouble codes.

Reactions: TPG

I recently loaded the "car scanner" app but haven't really looked at it. I will check tomorrow to see what can be read with Torque Pro and Car Scanner. Just for reference, here is a full VCDS scan of mine the day after I bought it. It had 15 miles on it when I picked it up and a lot of the errors were before that, and I am betting a part of the software upgrade at the port. There are a lot of codes there, but I think this thing is so networked that anytime there is a glitch on one of the networks a lot of the modules lose comm and trigger a fault. @Andy at Ross-Tech.com am I even close on that?

Address C6 is the HV battery charger

The car is driving great with no non-VCDS displayed codes at all. I am not going to clear them until my 60 day check to make sure the dealer sees them...and I am taking a print out along for that meeting!

Attachments

Reactions: theboomr

Premium Member
2021 ID.4 1st Blue - del. 3/16/21
@RocketVol unfortunately your scan was made using an out of date version of VCDS from last year. You should update to the latest Release which would have descriptions for most/all of those faults. That said, it鈥檚 normal in modern VW鈥檚 to see communication faults for every time one module didn鈥檛 get an expected response from a different module, etc. In general, unless there are drivability problems or warning messages in the screens I wouldn鈥檛 be too worried.

Good point! That was my first scan of the car and I bypassed the update :rolleyes: . Here is a scan from today using 21.3.0.0
As you can see, there are more errors logged in the file, but the car still works without issue and they don't bother me.

It would seem that a lot of the errors that folks are getting, that subsequently clear after a power cycle, might be because of bad network communications along the way. Comm errors seem to be most of the ones I have in my scan.

Andy what does "Tested Since Memory Clear" mean in the log file? Does it indicate that the system rechecked itself somewhere along the way and found the error not current anymore? Thanks!

Attachments

Regarding Torque Pro, it didn't really give me anything useful. When I tried to set up a profile it did not have anything for an EV specifically so it will not do any of the efficiency or power calculations, and when I went through the list of parameters I could display, most of them were for an ICE and not applicable. I will admit that I am not super well versed in this app. Someone who is good with this one might be able to tell me if I am doing anything wrong. Here is a screen shot from when I had it check for codes, and this was right before the VCDS scan from above. There is really no beating VCDS for any VWAG model, it is incredibly powerful.

I have the same problem while charging my ID4. I also noticed an arcing sound at the J1772 connection while charging but mine will stop charging after about 10 minutes.
My L1 contact point does not look correct and I have an appointment to check it out.

Some side notes, I'm using a 2014 30amp L2 charger that works fine on my Nissan leaf but does not work more that 10 minutes with ID4. Nissan leaf L1 charger that comes with the car does not work with ID4. ID4 L1 charger that comes with the car does work.

I came here to see if anyone else is having the same problems and will update after service.

I ran into a new charging failure after trying to charge my car last night. This is the first time I tried plugging it in several hours after last driving it, in order to charge at a lower TOU electrical rate. Actions and results:

1. Parked car in garage around noon at 33% SOC and configured it to charge to 80% with no schedule or location set.
2. Plugged in EVSE at 9pm, charge started OK (pulsing green LED on charge port + green ID light)
3. Car-Net showed charge stopped at 10:10 pm (1hr 10m later) at ~40% SOC
4. Charge port LED was red (charge fault indication). Turned white when I unplugged.

I unplugged, replugged and got the same result. Then I did that again - 3 errors in a row after charging ~1 hour each time. No fault on the EVSE at any time. It seems that the full power of the EVSE was being used (only 24A).
I opened the car door and the message "Vehicle could not be fully charged. See Owner's manual" was shown on the steering column display. Photo attached.

Has anybody else had this problem or have any comment to offer?
I think that my car has successfully charged twice in the ~3 months I have owned it. 馃檨
View attachment 3999
I had this same message a few weeks ago. Car is in the shop while I am away on vacation. I'll report back on what they find.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts