Volkswagen ID Forum banner

New Member From Biloxi MS

1K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Enzo589 
#1 ·
Joined today to learn more from you guys in anticipation of getting our new ID.4. We've been driving a pair of 2012 Mitsubishi iMiEV's now for 9 years and I recently sold our 2017 Chevy Volt Premier. Our new VW will be a replacement for the Volt, which we ended up driving very little, but I'm sure the majority of our local miles will still be done in our Mitsu's. They're nimble, light easy to park and you don't worry about door dings at the supermarket - Plus, why put local miles on a $40K car when you have a couple perfectly capable $5K cars which can do all you need?

Glad to be here and really looking forward to owning another VW - Our first one was a 1983 GTI which we fell in love with when we were in Germany, so we ordered one through AAFEES and picked up at the port when we returned stateside

Don

#5 ·
We don't really want to wait until next year, so getting on the list at VW isn't the best option. I want to find the best cash deal which is proving difficult because all cars of any sort are in short supply right now and some dealers are marking up their cars near the end of this year when otherwise they would be discounting them. On top of that, you're not gonna find many ID.4's in Mississippi anyway as EV's are not popular here. When we owned our 2017 Volt, there wasn't an authorized dealer in the entire state with a trained tech and the equipment to service them, nor was there one in nearby Mobile Alabama, a much larger city

VW of South Mississippi has exactly one ID.4 and like so many other dealers, they don't want to sell it because then they'd have no car for people to test drive. Other dealers seem to be selling their demo cars with a few thousand miles on them as used, without the $7,500 tax credit available to the buyer . . . . and discounted only about $2,000 off MSRP - Who would pay that? I guess someone who can't take a tax credit anyway. Buying an ID.4 is going to be the biggest new car buying challenge we've ever encountered

What I want is more about what I don't want. Tops on that list is no glass roof. I'm not big on faux leather, 20 inch wheels with low profile tires (the 19's on the Pro model actually give 10 more miles of range) and I'm not even excited about the powered rear lift gate . . . . and, I much prefer the look of the smaller 10 inch screen. Lucky for me, all of my 'must haves' are still included on the Pro model, so we're looking for a Glacier White Pro model. A couple dealers have told me it'll be harder to pay cash and I'll have more luck if I agree to financing and then paying it off after 6 months. With the current 0%, I'm OK with that

The search is on and hopefully in the next few weeks, we'll have found 'our' car - Fortunately with it's robust fast charging it's a great road tripping car, as we'll most certainly be driving it home from out of state . . . . maybe WAY out of state

Don

#10 ·
Well Froggy - It looks like we bought the car! I put $1K down to hold it for me. It was just unloaded off the truck and I can't even go take it for a test drive until Wednesday, but I'll go up there with a check in my back pocket and it's looking like I won't have to drive one home for as far as I thought

Thanks!

Don

#14 · (Edited)
To be honest, they're the best, most practical cars we have ever owned and we're old enough to have owned quite a few. Neither of them have ever been recharged anywhere except in our garage. We use them for local trips and recharge them every few days. Lack of range has never once been a problem - We have always made it home, probably several thousand times in a row. We also had a long range 'regular' vehicle which seldom got driven, plus we have a little 2014 Ford van, which also seldom gets driven. We drive the Mitsu's for short, local trips and the other cars when we need to go farther. The 2014 van now has almost 30,000 miles on it, after 7 years, almost all of those miles out of state on freeways, so driving the little EV's allows our more expensive cars to sit in the garage with battery tenders on them until we need to go somewhere out of range of the little EV's . . . . which only happens once or twice a month. Those little cars have saved almost 100,000 ICE miles by not driving larger, more expensive gas powered vehicles which require expensive fuel to run and lots of maintenance to keep running

Our new ID.4 will get lots more garage time than the little Mitsu's too - Why drive a $40K car to WalMart and get it dinged up by other cars doors or shopping carts when our little Mitsu's will do the job quite nicely? Gotta be practical

I'm very 'practical' oriented - I would never own a pick-up and drive it every day because I would be driving the perfect vehicle for towing and hauling when 95% of the time, I'd be doing neither with it. If I needed a pick-up, I would borrow or rent one and drive something that gives me twice the gas mileage and is twice as easy to park and much less expensive to own. Taken in that context, the little Mitsu EV's are among the most practical cars on the road - They do everything well . . . .except they don't go long distances, but that's not what we bought them for. And, would you believe, you can get a full sized washing machine or dryer in the back of those cars and close the hatch? Can you do that in your Model 3? Who needs a pick-up anyway? My little van has a trailer hitch! (y)

Don

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.