Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a new owner, I know I have a few questions - others are welcome to post as well.

We picked up our ID4 Pro S RWD last week. Love it, but have a few questions.

1) Is there anyway to get a confirmation beep when you lock using the button on the door handle? if not, how do you know it locked?

1a) The App seems to tell me its locked or unlocked, but pressing on that spot in the App doesn't appear to change its status. Can you lock from the App, or set the vehicle to auto lock with you walk away?

2) Charging - we set it up to charge immediately to 50%, but only charge to 70% at night. But about half the time I plug it in, its starts charging immediately and I have to go into the car and drag the selection down. What am I doing wrong?

3) Cooling the battery - So my previous vehicle was 2018 Leaf, and those batteries were basically NOT cooled. We get very hot here in the summer - two summer's ago we were 119F, and we average about 110F during the day and about 75F at night. So I actually parked my Leaf outside because it was actually cooler at night outside my garage that inside. My wife really wants the ID4 in the garage - so my question is, when does the ID4 pack cool itself? Obviously during fast charging. But when else? Will it only do it when plugged in and charging lvl2? Will it cool itself when plugged in lvl2 and not charging? Or what about when its not plugged in at all?

4) Charging - everyone knows the 80% "rule" but what if we don't need that much on a daily basis? I have it set to 70%. Should I set it even lower, say 60%? Any evidence on the ID4 on battery health and charging states? If I set it to 80%, then 95% of the time, its going to be sitting at 80%. So I was thinking lower. With my Leaf I targeted 70% but the ID4 has a much larger pack, and for daily we could easily do 60%. Will that eventually confuse the BMS?

5) What's the best OBDII program to use to get more data on the vehicle, battery, SOC and SOH, etc.? I used to use Leaf Spy, but what do you all use for ID4?

2023 ID.4 AWD Pro S
90 Posts
Yes. Lock settings can have horn beep. Also small light on drivers door blinks when locked.
Hmm, the horn beep doesn’t seem to work for me. I will have to check my settings again.

Reactions: Mrau

2021 AWD Pro S on 2.1
3,280 Posts
so my question is, when does the ID4 pack cool itself?
3) It begins active battery cooling consuming up to 5500w at 86F (charging) or 95F (driving). Battery temps. not ambient. When parked and not plugged in, or done charging VW does not say what temp, and its not that hot here for me to test that. You can find out with car scanner. You will also hear the radiator fan running at lower temps than these but that does not draw much power (50-200w) so no worry.
4) there is a little evidence that lower than 80% is slightly better, but not enough to worry about compared to many other factors for battery degradation.

4,122 Posts
It is never good to keep EV in much hotter environment than outside where temperature is lower....if you need to keep it in hot garage...park your vehicle facing front of the vehicle towards the garage door. Door should be open at least 1.5 foot. Or make ventilation doors on the lower side of garage and one on the highest level of garage ( electric fan would be best for this scenario with thermostat) and this way you can have garage doors closed and have necessary ventilation to bring temperature inside of garage as what's outside of the garage.
If temperatures are over 110°F you should practice hood open when charging in this scenario. 12V battery doesn't like to be cooked....when Battery management is active and cooling battery there will be under the hood even higher temperature than what is outside ( example 110°F ....under the hood it could easily exceed 160°F)

4,122 Posts
And with days over 97°F keep it plugged whenever possible even if you have no need for additional charging....stay away from charging to 100% SOC in this type of hot environment....unless you have intentions to use it after fully charged. Avoid using charging in very hot garage if front of vehicle is facing garage wall.....otherwise your air conditioning will be working very hard to cool down HV battery pack.....

4,122 Posts
I do have a mini split installed in the garage.
I normally just run it when I'm in there but I could set it on a thermostat. I hate to cool my garage 24/7 though.
No need to cool down....just need good ventilation in your Garage....so you have same temperature in vs outside temperature.
For cooled Garage you will need fully insulated Garage.... invest on ventilation it will be good enough.....

261 Posts
I would like to add a new owner question of my own instead of starting a new thread (hope OP doesn't mind).

When parked, if I play with the electronic stuff (infotainment) or turn on the heater/AC, all the electricity comes from the HV battery, correct? In other words, I won't drain the 12V battery like I would do on an ICE vehicle if I had forgotten to turn off the lights, right?

GR

4,122 Posts
I would like to add a new owner question of my own instead of starting a new thread (hope OP doesn't mind).

When parked, if I play with the electronic stuff (infotainment) or turn on the heater/AC, all the electricity comes from the HV battery, correct? In other words, I won't drain the 12V battery like I would do on an ICE vehicle if I had forgotten to turn off the lights, right?

GR
Correct

4,122 Posts
Air conditioning compressor has own micro inverter that uses HV DC and convert it to 3 phase AC ....it is variable speed compressor...depending on demand for cooling and other sensors data it will run faster or slower...... ECO mode affect even more compressor energy usage.
Infotainement screen is run from low DC side 12V...for as long you are seating in the seat ( there is weight sensor in the seat that sends input to central module to activate main contactors for HV DC pack to power all other energy users like DC-DC converter that maintains 12V)...you will be OK playing with infotainment screen.

1,498 Posts
That's how it was on all my previous cars 🤷‍♀️
Which cars were those?

Meanwhile, this thread at least explains the loud horn honks that have startled my wife several times when she tried to lock (relock) the ID.4. No cars we've ever owned have done this “Honk on the SECOND lock” thing and all of the cars that had a lock confirmation sound did it at a reasonable volume.

4,122 Posts
Which cars were those?

Meanwhile, this thread at least explains the loud horn honks that have startled my wife several times when she tried to lock (relock) the ID.4. No cars we've ever owned have done this “Honk on the SECOND lock” thing and all of the cars that had a lock confirmation sound did it at a reasonable volume.
Well I do agree with you on this....obdeleven would be good to make some changes to what you like.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts