Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
ID.4 FE Blue
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that there is a lot of negativity around features of the ID.4. Some of it you could call nitpicking. It is actually a German trait to always find something to complain about (again, I can say that as I am German ;)). I think we should not forget that - overall - the ID.4 is a great car. So I am starting this thread for all the new owners who have driven the car for a while to report on all the thinks they LIKE about the ID.4. I will make a start here:

(1) I like that VW decided to allow the car to cruise so you can drive it like a a good-ole ICE car (i.e., no regen). The fact that cruising seems to conserve the most energy makes this even better.

(2) I love that when the car goes downhill, regen will automatically slow you down (the stronger the steeper the hill) without you having to hit the break. This is comparable to the ICE motor break in manual transmission ICE cars, but works much better.

(3) The white steering wheel of the FE is increasingly growing on me. It actually looks great.

(4) The dusk blue metallic, the 20" wheels and the lights look absolutely beautiful.

(5) Love the moonroof and the fact that it has a motor shade.

(6) Tethers and hooks in the trunk are very convenient.

That's it for now. Feel free to add your own favorite things...

·
Proud FE owner
1,000 Posts
I'll add a few of my early delights:
  • I❤regen! - lots of one-pedaling on my regular drives
  • Heated steering wheel
  • White steering wheel adds to the airiness (lots of gray days in the PNW)
  • Ambient lighting

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
955 Posts
1. Flat rear floor, no transmission hump. POLESTAR, I know you supposedly tucked batteries into there, but come on!

2. Sunroof shade. Again, Polestar? Mach-E? WTH?

3. Really nice Android Auto implementation. Kind of runs in a window, with VW controls still accessible, without feeling cramped. Other AA implementations take over the screen and require exiting out to get into a vehicle setting, ex. turning on seat heaters in my Flex.

·
FE Blue - picked up March 19
37 Posts
I’ve been driving in comfort mode and the ride is great, super comfortable even with our deteriorating local streets.

Travel Assist works great for me, even though I have trust issues.

It’s bigger on the inside, the interior space vs the exterior footprint is amazing!

headlights are great.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,567 Posts
Automotive forums by their nature more often attract complaints than praise, so a very welcome thread indeed.

I'm already doing 'B' mode regen exclusively around town. Actually from day two on.
Ample cargo volume, already exploited.
Armrests.
Voice recognition in Nav & 'Hello ID' & ChargePoint App has been spot on.
The white steering wheel and trim is an [unanticipated] welcome visual experience each time I get into the vehicle.
Home charging has been no fuss, no muss.
Sunroof shade action with finger swipe and is nicely light blocking, although mostly open thus far.
Stepping on the brake pedal to bring the ID.4 to life.
Car-Net remote pre-conditioning (heating thus far).
Most everything else others have cited ....

·
ID.4 1st blue
122 Posts
Great thread idea!

• I really like the ui design of the entire infotainment system. I can easily find what I want and see the info I need while driving. Very functional and pleasing on the eye. Hand gesture is quickly becoming a big plus too.
  • Rain sensing wipers are amazing!
  • The entire drive train and brake set up is perfect. I love the linear pedal feel on both going and stopping
  • Overall design is both beautiful, classy and modern without being flashy
  • So comfy and fun and both easy to use without being dumbed down
  • Travel Assist works so well. The more I learn to trust it the more I realize it's smoother than I am handling various situations
  • The range estimator seems to be very accurate and updates as conditions change which is very important to build trust and reduce range anxiety!!
  • The headlights are so good and the ambient and running lights are fun and cool

I'lll stop here but could go on...

oh and the turning radius!!! This is the kind of thing you can easily gloss over but it's so practical and helpful in daily use. The number of times I might want to floor it and push my head back is negligible compared to the number of times I am parking the car navigating a small space.

·
100 Posts
I have to add the (much maligned and misunderstood) hand gesture to this list. I have experimented with it and have learned "its language". I can now get it to respond almost 100% of the time. What I've seen in videos is people using a short abrupt flick of the wrist. That does not work. What I find works best is waving or sweeping the hand in a smooth wide arc across the lower half of the screen. The motion needs to travel almost the full width of the screen.

With that said, I now swipe easily while driving between the main widget screen (nav, audio, phone, and vehicle) and the second widget screen (customized to show climate, driving data, sound settings...).

·
Dusk Blue ID.4 FE
107 Posts
It may be a bit of a gimmick put I do enjoy the ID light announcing upcoming turns. (would be great if they extended it to AA/carplay)

Probably not specific to the ID.4 but there are a few small nav items that I like:
Directions including traffic control devices (turn left at the stop sign, turn right at the traffic light)
Restaurants marked with a flag (Italy, Mexico, etc.)

Enjoying the ambient lighting, foot well lighting, handle lighting, puddle lighting.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
One thing that is true of EVs in general, including the ID.4, but doesn't get mentioned much, is there is no warm up period like with ICEs. You no longer have to be gentle with your car to avoid excessive wear on cold mornings until the engine temperature gets up to normal. If your normal daily drive requires you to soon go up a ramp and accelerate up to traffic speed to safely merge, there's no problem with the ID.4.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,567 Posts
I thought that to myself a couple mornings ago. "Go ahead, punch it." 😁
Also no more rich-running cold engine exhaust if I just need to move the vehicle into the driveway for a quick garage chore. That used to give me pause as well.
One thing that is true of EVs in general, including the ID.4, but doesn't get mentioned much, is there is no warm up period like with ICEs. You no longer have to be gentle with your car to avoid excessive wear on cold mornings until the engine temperature gets up to normal. If your normal daily drive requires you to soon go up a ramp and accelerate up to traffic speed to safely merge, there's no problem with the ID.4.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
930 Posts
  • Head turns
  • People running up to take pictures - legit happened on a Target run/EA stop yesterday
  • The few scowls of Tesla owners ;)
I ran into a couple looking mine over. They didn't know much about EVs, but somehow they equated having a big screen with being an EV (sort of like Tesla, I guess).

·
ID.4 FE Blue
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Another small thing that one needs to get used to: a very tiny pull on the handle will open the doors electrically. I was pulling way to hard the first week (which will open the door mechanically). Same with closing the door. I pushed crazy hard on the sensor field of the door handle. A very gentle touch will do. The blueberry (my daughter’s nickname for the car) will operate just fine without unduly force 😉.

1 - 20 of 157 Posts