Volkswagen ID Forum banner

61 - 80 of 117 Posts

·
98 Posts
Has anybody experienced the automatic braking kick in yet? If so, do you think it could have prevented a possible collision? Come on now, no human is a perfect driver all the time.... Does automatic braking on ID.4 work at all speeds, or at high speed does it only work with adaptive cruise control on? Honestly, I'm not sure on this point. I would guess that VW auto braking works at all speeds even with ACC off....

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
754 Posts
Has anybody experienced the automatic braking kick in yet? If so, do you think it could have prevented a possible collision? Come on now, no human is a perfect driver all the time.... Does automatic braking on ID.4 work at all speeds, or at high speed does it only work with adaptive cruise control on? Honestly, I'm not sure on this point. I would guess that VW auto braking works at all speeds even with ACC off....
Do you mean phantom braking, where it incorrectly applies the brakes? I have seen this once - there was a bend in the road, and there was a car ahead of me in the turn lane that the ID.4 incorrectly concluded that I was going to run into.

Or do you mean where you weren't paying attention, and were about to rear-end someone?

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
454 Posts
Has anybody experienced the automatic braking kick in yet? If so, do you think it could have prevented a possible collision?
We had the automatic brake kick in when backing out of a parking space and a moron wax zipping through the lot at top speed. I think the person never even noticed and went his speedy way...
My wife was driving and she says she would have caught it, just a split second later. We both agree that it is super nice to have the auto brakes, regardless of how well we each drive.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
949 Posts
I like the way it drives. Sure there are some niggling firmware/App issues being worked, but as a vehicle again I really like how it drives and is better than I anticipated.

And I've already gotten so used to 'B' mode 'auto-braking' that I almost waited too long yesterday using the 'manual-brakes' in my wife's ICE Benz GLA. 😳

·
ID.4 FE Blue
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
It happens frequently to me on the highway when on ACC. The car cannot see ahead like humans ans sometimes slams the brakes if the car in front suddenly brakes. Easy to provoke if you set a short following distance.

Reactions: Dana

·
98 Posts
Do you mean phantom braking, where it incorrectly applies the brakes? I have seen this once - there was a bend in the road, and there was a car ahead of me in the turn lane that the ID.4 incorrectly concluded that I was going to run into.

Or do you mean where you weren't paying attention, and were about to rear-end someone?
That's good to know about phantom braking - don't recall that my '15 Legacy ever did that, but it may have.
Yeah, I was referring more to what happens on the freeway when all cars suddenly come to an abrupt stop from high speed and maybe I didn't catch the change quite fast enough. Too many cars have burned out brake light(s) which makes it tougher on following car.

·
ID.4 FE Blue
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Another thing to like is the sound quality on telephone calls. It feels like the person you call is sitting next to you.

·
98 Posts
We had the automatic brake kick in when backing out of a parking space and a moron wax zipping through the lot at top speed. I think the person never even noticed and went his speedy way...
My wife was driving and she says she would have caught it, just a split second later. We both agree that it is super nice to have the auto brakes, regardless of how well we each drive.
AEB is my favorite safety feature, but manufacturers' have been slow to move it out to lower trims, even though it has been around for quite awhile now. Glad ID.4 has it in all trims! Having AEB in reverse rather than just getting a cross-traffic alert warning must be great! Believe ID.4s also have a center air bag and windshield head-up displays (HUD) in Germany and probably some other European countries. We'll get that safety tech someday.

·
ID.4 FE Blue
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
ID.4 just passed Euro NCAP crash test in flying colors! Safety is one of my main criteria when buying a car, so I am glad the test turned out the way it did.

·
454 Posts
Another nice feature, coming in via Car Net, and although not a native item to the ID4 still part and parcel because we get a few years of free Car Net:
My wife was driving on the freeway Friday, and an alert came up, both as a voice alert and a text box on the infotainment screen: "10 minute slowdown because of debris on the road." Not earth-shattering, but nice to know why exactly she was stuck in traffic. Plus of course, she knew to watch more than usual for items on the road.
Then on Saturday, we were on the freeway, and a warning came in, again as voice and text box: "Attention: wrong way driving in 7 miles." Now, this I truly appreciated having an early warning about! As it happened we exited the freeway much before the 7 miles, so never encountered the crazy person who managed to get on the freeway the wrong way. But still, that is great stuff.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
754 Posts
My wife was driving on the freeway Friday, and an alert came up, both as a voice alert and a text box on the infotainment screen: "10 minute slowdown because of debris on the road." Not earth-shattering, but nice to know why exactly she was stuck in traffic. Plus of course, she knew to watch more than usual for items on the road.
I had something similar earlier today. I wasn't using navigation for anything - I turned up a particular road, and the car suddenly announced that there was a 5 minute backup ahead. In my case, only needed to go up 100 yards or so, so it wasn't a big deal.

·
18 Posts
The first impression for me is the build quality( no misaligned gaps between body and door panels). The solid thumped of the door when closed on a German made car. That in itself tells me what to expect for the rest of the car.
Second thing is how comfortable and quiet the cabin is when in motion. I like the fact that the car is smooth when accelerating or braking ( no abrupt changes).
Like the instrument display. ( I don’t know how you could go without one). Would have love to have the HUD too .
Love the ambient lighting, all cars should have this.
Sun shade for the panoramic roof is a must. Drove in 85 degrees today and the shade was definitely needed.
Wasn’t sure about the white steering wheel, but it’s growing on me.
Love the illumination of the doors handles.
I actually love the fact that it look like a normal car .

·
Proud FE owner
949 Posts
I love leaving the A/C on while in the grocery store to find the climate just the way I left it on a hot day.

Reactions: gorj and Astros

·
ID.4 FE Blue
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
I love leaving the A/C on while in the grocery store to find the climate just the way I left it on a hot day.
Is that one of the options you get on the screen when you put the car in park?

·
Blue ID.4 1st Edition
111 Posts
This is really helpful when picking up groceries if you have to make multiple stops.

On a related note, I have come to really appreciate the dual zone climate controls. My wife and I can finally both be comfortable at the same time! I hadn't realized how much we would use that until we had it. Also, if the passenger gets out, the passenger-side climate controls switch to 'Eco', and then switch back to their last setting when the passenger returns.

·
Proud FE owner
949 Posts
Is that one of the options you get on the screen when you put the car in park?
I think it may be. I just did it using the Car-Net app as I walked away and had the afterthought.

·
454 Posts
My wife stated the other day: I might fall in love with this car. Very high praise coming from her. She generally likes and appreciates tools and technical items, but love is reserved for people, art and garden.

61 - 80 of 117 Posts