Volkswagen ID Forum banner

New wave of 3.1 update invites coming?

4K views 33 replies 18 participants last post by  epl 
This isn't even speculation on my part, just me being not fatalistic: in how my service manager and others here have relayed the extreme slowness of the server access while pulling updates, perhaps this slowdown was spilling over to non-ID.4 access requests as well, perhaps US accesses were affecting worldwide or at least European shops in their ability to perform routine work in unanticipated ways, perhaps VW wants the rumored-not-verified US server online before continuing.

Again, not speculating any specifics, just that perhaps this has nothing to do with the actual update being applied, and everything to do with something internal.

My speculation is this is nothing but a blip, a bump in the road. Enough 2.1 > 3.1 conversions have made it out alive to confirm that the process works, even if it's complex.

Of course maybe VW discovered a fatal flaw in 3.1 that will necessitate an additional shop visit, and they're wholesale stopping the process until that can be remedied. ¯\(ツ)/¯ Oops, is that fatalistic?

🥺

It doesn't actually matter what the reason is. VW has proven these cars are updatable, if there was any doubt. Whatever the reason for the delay, our turn will come.

Again, if they would just tell us something! I know they have big problems getting this done, but surely a corporation the size of VW has working e-mail . . . .
I agree, sort of.

They can and should absolutely communicate directly with us, their consumer base, the "pause," next steps, whatever.

But I understand why they wouldn't offer a full explanation. I mean, they ought to, just because it snuffs speculation and builds trust, but VW has always been tight with inside info, like many other corporations.

But yeah, talk to customers, just a little, there's no reason not to and every reason to.

@Nai3t on the US Server hypothesis ...now how quickly you can today provision resources and replicate data across regions in cloud platforms? In matter of minutes... So what takes months?

I'm actually thinking that the delay could also be caused by shortage of the AFB+ 12V batteries that are here in the US supplied by Interstate...

Thoughts?
Cloud services came up a few weeks back, and VW is no stranger -- AWS wrote up a whole promotional piece on them using their services for their finance arm, and I'm positive VW is playing in this realm for the distribution of their OTA packages, out of necessity of the sheer volume of data these updates will entail.

But this in-shop update isn't an OTA, and hopefully will never need be replicated by VW at this scale. So if they're overly protective of their locked modules, and intend this type of access to be a dealer-only, small-scale, serial interaction during "normal" service visits when vehicles may need to be provisioned after hardware change-outs, maybe VW is reticent to scale this up?

Really, this is all just a guess, and I only half-believe the service manager I was speaking to was accurately relaying this info. Honestly, how much does he really know, and why would VW communicate that sort of nuanced detail to him? They seem incapable of basic communication.

Define “…in short order.” Is it a week? A month? A year?? I’m ok waiting because I want them to figure out everything and my car is working just fine with the current firmware minus the scheduled charging.
Maybe they should have written "summer." 😅

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.