Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped at a new Chargepoint DC Fast station in Scottville, Michigan this week. This made me aware of how poorly designed the EA chargers really are. In the attached photo you can see they have four chargers arranged in a row with front or rear access. They also have 8 additional parking spaces adjacent so people who have to wait can queue up in line (not likely to happen for some time in central Michigan!).They don't have them numbered which I think would be good idea. That way people could slip into the "next available spot" and new arrivals would be able to identify who was next in line...etc.

This station is 100% dedicated to EV charging. The parking area is not shared with anything else, so anyone pulling in here is obviously intending to charge. I know EA seeks partners for their charging spots but I have to say the dedicated station did make it feel like it was more for "me" than Walmart customers.

Attachments

·
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They're all 125's. I only got 80 out of them but my car was around 40% SOC when I started so I can't blame the chargers yet.

·
2021 ID.4 Pro S
62 Posts
They're all 125's. I only got 80 out of them but my car was around 40% SOC when I started so I can't blame the chargers yet.
Pretty sure that is all you will get out of these chargers for the ID.4 regardless of SOC. That is also only if you are the only one using them, if there are two cars plugged in you get 62.5 (half of the 125).

·
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pretty sure that is all you will get out of these chargers for the ID.4 regardless of SOC. That is also only if you are the only one using them, if there are two cars plugged in you get 62.5 (half of the 125).
Why are they called 125's then? If the ID.4 can take 125 (which it did many times on my trip at EA chargers) why will Chargepoint's only provide 80?

·
Super Moderator
2021 FE Mythos Black
2,892 Posts
This made me aware of how poorly designed the EA chargers really are. In the attached photo you can see they have four chargers arranged in a row with front or rear access.
Many EA stations are arranged the same way.

·
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After just getting back from a MA to MI trip and back I can confirm the EA stations I stopped at are not. If it weren't such a drag trying to navigate around the chargers and figure out how to pull in so the port is reachable it would be comical to watch other people when they arrive to charge. I was at one EA station in Lansing, MI (with 3 out of 4 chargers dead) waiting in the bay opposite the working charger. I was waiting for the person opposite me to finish charging. Five other cars arrived and circled the chargers like wolves on the hunt trying to figure out how to pull in to the bays. One was in a Hummer and I honestly don't think it could fit in the inner lanes. Then came the inevitable backing up—pulling forward—backing again—correcting the angle—trying to get close enough. All to find out the chargers were "unavailable" or black screens, or broken plugs. Many a curse was heard by those electron starved EV owners. I used the EA app and knew there was only one working charger before arriving, but I had no choice. The nearest DC charger from any other company was nearly 15 miles away and I couldn't risk the distance.

·
Super Moderator
2021 FE Mythos Black
2,892 Posts
After just getting back from a MA to MI trip and back I can confirm the EA stations I stopped at are not.
Check out this thread and you will see that many have the same arrangement.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts