Volkswagen ID Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
27 Posts
So update on this (kinda). Talked to my dealership the other day and they said still nothing from the state. But they are still holding my vehicle for me.

That being said, I was on the tesla forum to see if they got an update. Don’t know how trueful it is, but one poster said his friend that is a GM at a VW dealership is being told come June 1st they are allowed to take the 5k off and submit a form to the state for the reimbursement that starts July 1. Side note there is some talk that over 45k the reimbursement decreases.

I will keep everyone updated here once there is word.

·
27 Posts
Talked to my rep today (same one who currently has my car and is holding it). Seems like there was a huge meeting today with the state, VW leadership, local VW, FORD EV, Tesla, & consumers. It was brought up that the plan is still for budget approval in June/July and potentially affective August. Many of the consumers had issues though since nothing is solidified. There is also talk that they could cut the rebate for any cars over 45k to 2k instead of 5k.

·
41 Posts
The proposal to change the 5K rebate to 2K for vehicles with MSRP 45k-55k was officially presented at a BPU meeting on May 27th as per NJ Docket QO21040745. Comments are allowed until 6/2. Directions on who to email your comments are in the attached file to this post. If you don't like this change, it wouldn't hurt to email indicating you do not agree with the change. I plan to do so since I find it unfair that the change comes so late to the launch of Phase 2.

You can watch the recording of the meeting, look at the presentation slides that describe the change, and read the docket calling for this meeting to present this change on the BPU website:

I find it incredibly unfair that NJ would change things up a mere month away from when this is supposed to launch. There is also no commitment as to a timeline for launching this other than "In the summer". Very disappointed with this last-minute change quietly "presented" on a Zoom meeting not even advertised on the ChargeUp NJ website. Hopefully, enough people comment against this and things stay just like last year.

Attachments

·
27 Posts
There was a webinar yesterday presented by nj on phase 2. Stated that dealer signups would start 3 weeks before the start of the program. Later last night emails got sent out to dealerships! This puts the program to start in mid July!

Make sure to reach out to your dealer!

·
3 Posts
Glad to find this forum, this NJ EV rebates are driving people crazy. Rare to see dealers and customers are on the same boat. My dealer is holding back my ID.4 Pro, and he says tons of people are dong the same. He is in the process signing up for the program, but has no information on the exact date this will become effective. The other thing is, I compared Pro vs. 1st Edition side by side in the show room, and really liked 1st Edition. The 1st Edition has a ticker price $45,849, if they do reduce the incentive to $2000 for MSRP $45K and above, that would really suck and not fair at all.

Anyone has any other updates since we are so close to July 1st now?

·
27 Posts
Sorry nothing from me. It has been officially approved and literally on the call Thursday they still said Summer 2021. Only two more months of Summer 2021 so I would guess soon.

People are frustrated like you said. It is like they are dragging their feet on it.

·
41 Posts
Glad to find this forum, this NJ EV rebates are driving people crazy. Rare to see dealers and customers are on the same boat. My dealer is holding back my ID.4 Pro, and he says tons of people are dong the same. He is in the process signing up for the program, but has no information on the exact date this will become effective. The other thing is, I compared Pro vs. 1st Edition side by side in the show room, and really liked 1st Edition. The 1st Edition has a ticker price $45,849, if they do reduce the incentive to $2000 for MSRP $45K and above, that would really suck and not fair at all.

Anyone has any other updates since we are so close to July 1st now?
It is indeed not fair at all that they approved the $45k soft threshold. That being said, the threshold is based on MSRP without including the delivery charge. So, the First Edition is really $43,995 and so, will qualify for the full rebate. The sticker price you quote includes the delivery charge and probably a couple of options like mudguards or stuff like that.

Here is from the Charge Up Terms and Conditions:

"The manufacturer’s MSRP typically includes the costs associated with the trim level of the vehicle with all color options, wheel upgrades, drive train or battery upgrades, and other packages, such as entertainment system upgrades. Costs not generally included in the MSRP are: destination or delivery charges, sales and use taxes, additional maintenance or repair packages purchased from the dealership or showroom, documentation fees, registration fees, or add-ons which relate to the maintenance or operation of the vehicle,such as electric vehicle charging packages, floor mats, first aid kits, cargo nets, etc."

·
41 Posts
So, since FY22 Budget was approved last week, the Charge Up NJ Website was finally updated and a list of enrolled dealers is now available (i.e. dealers that you should buy from if you want the rebate):

Eligible Dealerships | Charge Up New Jersey

Glad to see my dealership is already enrolled.

There is no mention of the $45k soft-cap on the updated ChargeUp NJ website, but on the orders from the BPU meeting of June 24th, it is clearly specified that Phase-2 will have that soft-cap. So $5,000 rebate if the car is less than $45k and only $2,000 if it costs between $45k and $55k (note that this does not include the delivery charge).

Here is how the program works now on the dealer side (from the BPU orders above):

Phase Two - The Point-of-Sale (“POS”) Program: Dealerships and showrooms must enroll to participate in the Program by providing dealership and showroom contact and Automated Clearing House (“ACH”) information via the dedicated program website in advance of the Program’s launch. Upon verification of information submitted through the enrollment application, representatives will gain access to a log-in portal to submit applications and FY22 Charge Up New Jersey Compliance Filing check the status of existing applications on behalf of their customers. The CSE will provide dealerships with training on the incentive reimbursement application process and Program requirements. For an individual to receive the incentive, they must purchase or lease an eligible EV from a participating dealership or showroom in the State of New Jersey. Dealership representatives will verify vehicle and applicant eligibility at the POS. After verifying eligibility, the representative will be required to reduce the contracted purchase or lease price by the full incentive amount. The incentive must be reflected as a clearly identifiable line item deduction in the contract. The representative will upload the required documentation to the Program application portal. Required documentation for each incentive application includes: • New Jersey vehicle registration; • Signed and executed vehicle contract; • Proof of New Jersey Driver’s License or Military Orders; and a • Signed copy of the Program Terms and Conditions.* *At the time a representative applies for an incentive through the Program portal, the most current version of the Implementation Manual and the Terms and Conditions will apply. In addition, an electronic signature will be accepted and considered valid for the acknowledgement and signing of the Program Terms and Conditions. Funding will be reserved upon application submission. Dealers shall submit incentive applications through the Dealer Web Portal at Home | Charge Up New Jersey. Dealerships and showrooms will have 14 calendar days from the transaction date to apply for a reimbursement of the incentive from the Program. Applications started more than 14 calendar days after the vehicle transaction is completed will be blocked from submitting an application. Once an application is started, representatives will have 14 calendar daysto complete the application and submit for review by the Program Administrator. The BPU will reserve the incentive funds once the application is submitted. If the application is cancelled due to inactivity or improper documentation, the representative will need to reapply. The representative will work directly with the CSE to submit or resubmit required documents, as necessary, to meet Program requirements. Approved applications will be batched monthly for ACH payment issued directly to the dealerships or showrooms.
Basically, as a buyer you don't need to do anything. The dealership applies for you at the time you purchase the car. And they will get the incentive from the state. You just need to make sure they clearly state the discount in your contract.

I am bumped that they enacted the soft cap (I ordered the gradient package which put me over the 45K limit for very little), but at least I am glad to see the program is moving forward into Phase-2.

·
60 Posts
So, since FY22 Budget was approved last week, the Charge Up NJ Website was finally updated and a list of enrolled dealers is now available (i.e. dealers that you should buy from if you want the rebate):

Eligible Dealerships | Charge Up New Jersey

Glad to see my dealership is already enrolled.

There is no mention of the $45k soft-cap on the updated ChargeUp NJ website, but on the orders from the BPU meeting of June 24th, it is clearly specified that Phase-2 will have that soft-cap. So $5,000 rebate if the car is less than $45k and only $2,000 if it costs between $45k and $55k (note that this does not include the delivery charge).

Here is how the program works now on the dealer side (from the BPU orders above):

Basically, as a buyer you don't need to do anything. The dealership applies for you at the time you purchase the car. And they will get the incentive from the state. You just need to make sure they clearly state the discount in your contract.

I am bumped that they enacted the soft cap (I ordered the gradient package which put me over the 45K limit for very little), but at least I am glad to see the program is moving forward into Phase-2.
The price caps can be found here on page 8: https://chargeup.njcleanenergy.com/...Charge_Up_New_Jersey_Terms_and_Conditions.pdf

·
3 Posts

·
60 Posts
I just called an eligible dealer, as of today, they still don't know what's the process to get $5000 rebate at the point of sale. There is no details, yet. But he promised to call back as soon as he finds out. Well, at least it's one step forward.
Which dealer was this? Also, it's mostly the NJ BPU plan administrators fault for really having a lack of information our there and especially being so vague on program start dates

·
27 Posts
We are officially live! My dealer told me they got an email this morning with documents on how to submit it. So I would reach out to your dealer! Going Saturday

·
27 Posts
Sorry @terasain I actually don’t know.

I will let everyone know how it goes tomorrow and what dealership it is. I already got screwed over by another dealership who sold my car even though it was reserved…long story I got the $500 back but I wasn’t even going to argue with them. Not worth it once I knew they were going to pull something like that.

·
27 Posts
I am going to post this in the Dealer thread but VW of Salem County was fantastic. If you live in NJ, especially south nj, Derek was awesome. We wanted to lease. I got the money factor .00143 like we all talked about, and in the end only payed 265 out of pocket (I had a trade in but wanted to pocket the cash). So including the $500 reservation I put down, it was $765 including first months payment. Obviously doesn’t include the 12,500 from federal and state. My month is $347.65.

They were awesome and didn’t sell me anything extra. Offered the lease protection but it was zero pressure to take it. They were super down to earth and I didn’t have to use ANY of the negotiation tactics posted here. They even told me to not take their trade in offer since I got more from Carvana. HIGHLY recommend over any of the other dealerships in southern NJ Atleast.

·
617 Posts
So, as of yesterday, they announced the second year of the incentive is exhausted. It's quite annoying, because they seem to be holding millions in funding for vehicles that have been ordered after July 6, but not yet built. So, if you see a RWD on a dealer lot and they are willing to sell it, you got to get the paperwork done by 9pm tonight! (9/15)

41 - 57 of 57 Posts