Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So NJ has a sales tax exemption as detailed here https://www.drivegreen.nj.gov/dg-sales-use-tax-exemption.html

My question is that is this a point of sale discount or is it that I pay the tax up front and then get reimbursed at year end at tax season?

My dealer says that I have to pay sales tax up front then file the ST-4 form with my taxes during filing. I went through the website and its not clear which way it is.

·
20 Posts
So NJ has a sales tax exemption as detailed here https://www.drivegreen.nj.gov/dg-sales-use-tax-exemption.html

My question is that is this a point of sale discount or is it that I pay the tax up front and then get reimbursed at year end at tax season?

My dealer says that I have to pay sales tax up front then file the ST-4 form with my taxes during filing. I went through the website and its not clear which way it is.
'Your dealer is wrong. NJ sales tax exemption for electric vehicles means you don't pay the sales tax. Period. The dealer should not add sales tax to the price of the vehicle. You give the dealer a filled form ST-4. The ST-4 is your statement to the dealer that they should not collect sales taxes from you. That's it. You don't pay sales tax on this purchase. The ST-4 is never used in your tax returns.

Obviously, the salesperson at your dealer doesn't know. But their finance manager should.

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
'Your dealer is wrong. NJ sales tax exemption for electric vehicles means you don't pay the sales tax. Period. The dealer should not add sales tax to the price of the vehicle. You give the dealer a filled form ST-4. The ST-4 is your statement to the dealer that they should not collect sales taxes from you. That's it. You don't pay sales tax on this purchase. The ST-4 is never used in your tax returns.

Obviously, the salesperson at your dealer doesn't know. But their finance manager should.
Thank you. I have since dropped this dealership that even after the sales rep speaking with their "manager" they said I would be charged sales tax. I'm guessing they just have not sold an EV as of yet or have been dubiously charging unsuspecting customers with sales tax. They just don't seem to have their ducks in a row.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts