Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2021 FE Mythos Black
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to EA in Medford, NY to charge tonight and there was a Kona already there. Then a Mustang and another ID showed up. Normally I'm the only car there. This was also the first ID I've seen in the wild. Had fun talking to those folks.
Automotive parking light Car Tire Wheel Vehicle

·
142 Posts
I've used an EA station 4 times. Only once was there another car - in fact there was another ID.4, a Bolt and a Leaf at the same time. The bolt owner came over and complained that he could only get 50 kw when mine was showing 105.

·
1,098 Posts
So many people like that Bolt owner do no research before signing on the dotted line. I had to tell a Bolt owner that yes she could use the 350kW charger but it wouldn’t be any faster. That the car tell the charger how much juice to use.

·
187 Posts
On the way back from Oregon at the Sutherlin EA, we had a full house. 2 Konas, 3 ID.4s and an e-tron. Only 3 chargers were working out of 4. One Kona eventually gave up waiting. We had to wait about 15 min for one of the other ID.4s to finish. We were the last to leave though and no one else showed, so I guess it was a temporary traffic jam. But this kind of thing will get worse everywhere before it gets better.

·
2018 Chevy Bolt (ID4 future owner?)
73 Posts
On the way back from Oregon at the Sutherlin EA, we had a full house. 2 Konas, 3 ID.4s and an e-tron. Only 3 chargers were working out of 4. One Kona eventually gave up waiting. We had to wait about 15 min for one of the other ID.4s to finish. We were the last to leave though and no one else showed, so I guess it was a temporary traffic jam. But this kind of thing will get worse everywhere before it gets better.
My last DCFC session was at an EA site on Memorial Day with 4 plugs. All 4 were in use, Bolt, ID4, Kona, Niro.

I was at the CCS\CHAdeMO unit and chuckled when a Model Y drove by slowly, looking disappointed that she could not use the CHAdeMO plug. Apparently, the Supercharger a few miles down the road had a long queue as is not uncommon at Tesla sites on holiday weekends.

·
Premium Member
2021 ID.4 Pro S Gradient RWD
298 Posts
This is day 5 since I took delivery of my ID.4. I have charged twice at EA. Two different locations and have not had another car there besides me either time.

·
Super Moderator
2021 FE Mythos Black
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My wife charged there last night and she was all alone......

·
2021 Pro AWD
327 Posts
I think it's time to really pull back on free charging with the purchase. Was a good idea to reward early adopters but with BEV taking off and demand far outstripping supply seems like a perk they could do away with now.

I like to check stations in the EA app just to get an idea of occupancy in LA. in my zone of LA (San Fernando valley to Palos verde East to Pasadena) there are 28 EA stations (LOL). averaging about 5 stations full at any given time during waking hours when I check. vast majority have have at least one pole in use

·
133 Posts
Went to EA in Medford, NY to charge tonight and there was a Kona already there. Then a Mustang and another ID showed up. Normally I'm the only car there. This was also the first ID I've seen in the wild. Had fun talking to those fo.
In a way, I take it as a shot across the bow. As more EV‘s are sold and looking for charging stations we will start to see lines. Long Island is not exactly EV country with its high electric rates and here you have a full house. I wonder what the I95 route will look like next fall with the migration south. Hope the charging infrastructure catches up soon.

·
2021 AWD Pro S
1,880 Posts
There was something on Twitter yesterday from Kyle about a site in Colorado where only 1 out of 4 was working.
That is likely Kyle and my nearest EA in Loveland, CO that for the past 2 months has had only 1 of 4 working, and the only one that works is max. at 36kw. How can they leave all of them broken for months? I am sure that EA knows since they get a report each time somebody has trouble and calls. I will likely go by there again today to try them out and give EA yet another report of broken chargers. I go there not expecting to charge, but to give them yet another report so that someday it may get fixed.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
1,822 Posts
That is likely Kyle and my nearest EA in Loveland, CO that for the past 2 months has had only 1 of 4 working, and the only one that works is max. at 36kw. How can they leave all of them broken for months? I am sure that EA knows since they get a report each time somebody has trouble and calls. I will likely go by there again today to try them out and give EA yet another report of broken chargers. I go there not expecting to charge, but to give them yet another report so that someday it may get fixed.
Their business model seems to be expansion, but not paying much attention to maintenance. Two years ago, usage was way lower, so I imagine that revenue was lower, and they could afford to prioritize like this.

I saw a report that EA had a 5-fold growth in charging sessions in 2021 over 2020, so that partially captured ID4 and MachE. 2022 has bunches of other very thirsty vehicles being introduced, plus more of everything else.

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
3,906 Posts
In a way, I take it as a shot across the bow. As more EV‘s are sold and looking for charging stations we will start to see lines. Long Island is not exactly EV country with its high electric rates and here you have a full house. I wonder what the I95 route will look like next fall with the migration south. Hope the charging infrastructure catches up soon.
Can't you just flash your (lighted) VW badge and skip to the front of the EA queue?😉

This is a good problem to have. For how many years have these charging stops been sitting around underused, collecting spider webs and graffiti?

Many were built prematurely, but the tables are turning and the companies and investors who built these are primed and ready to continue building. Nobody is being caught off guard, or at least, maybe they're on their back foot, but their running shoes are on and laced.

We need to see this DCFC demand to keep the build-outs going. Investors see EVs waiting and understand there's a potential return. This is a normal ebb and flow type situation we're in, and I'm impressed not only with the pace EA is moving at, but how EVGo has been newly responsive as well.

·
2021 AWD Pro S
1,880 Posts
I was there a few days ago and only 1 working also.
Was it still max. at 36kw? Even a Rivian that can charge max. 200kw and 150kw at 50% full was getting only 36kw recently. Did you call EA to report that 3 were not working?

·
Premium Member
2021 ID.4 Pro S Gradient RWD
298 Posts
Was it still max. at 36kw? Even a Rivian that can charge max. 200kw and 150kw at 50% full was getting only 36kw recently. Did you call EA to report that 3 were not working?
The one that was working was max speed for me. I don't remember the number without looking it up.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts