Volkswagen ID Forum banner

No suitable roof rails yet

41K views 106 replies 45 participants last post by  Kehmnm 
#1 ·
I just put in an order for a few things for my ID.4 and was a little surprised to not find any roof rails available for it. They sell a ton of other accessories that use the rails, just not the rails. VW has stated they are still working on the rails.

JIC you were in the market for them, they don’t yet exist.

#4 ·
Lurking for months, and now I have something to contribute!

Two weekends ago, I filled out the contact forms on the Yakima and Thule websites asking about this. I'm expecting to get a hitch-mounted bike rack for my FE whenever it finally appears, but want to keep the option of carrying loads on the roof (lumber, Christmas tree, cargo box, etc.).

Yakima, March 30:
I've emailed our fit team to see where we are in getting a fit for the ID.4. I'll let you know what they say. It's always hard to know with a new vehicle as the design may not be compatible with our current adapters and we would need to create a new part.
Thule, April 5:
We are in the process of testing the roof system for this particular vehicle. Please check our website or contact us back in 3-4 weeks.
FWIW, the flush-mounted rails on the ID.4 look to me like they might be the same shape as those on the Atlas Cross Sport, so the same adapters might work, but I'm not in a rush - before planned travel in July would be nice, though.

#7 ·
Double check with your own dealer parts department but Partslink24 shows these roof bars fit my ID.4

11A 071 151
071-030
1 Set Supporting rods silver 70KG
5,5KG PR:3S1,3S2 184,03 €
My dealer parts department indicated no part numbers for ID.4 roof bars, but they're shown all over the marketing photos for the ID.4 so I'm wondering if there's just a big disconnect here. I may try going to the dealer to compare roof rails with the Atlas and see if I can get permission to test them.

I also have a couple of canoes I'm looking to carry on the roof.

#8 ·
I saw someone on the UK site (speakev) who claimed to have something for Thule.

My beef with Thule is that the bars I have are now discontinued. They seem to want to sell me a whole new set instead of a fit kit.

I might just look for something that works with the hitch receiver instead. Maybe I will get lucky and find something at a yard sale.

#14 ·
The issue I have is that I already have a set of aerobars with a podium fit kit, and it worked great on my old car. In fact the old car had rails that were kind of similar to the ID.4, but different enough that it won't grab the bars securely. But it almost seems like they discontinued it all - if you want to purchase an entirely new rack system, it sort of seems like you can, but support for their older stuff is spotty.

This is one of my pet peeves with getting a new car. I really don't want to buy yet another bike rack (I already have square bars, aero bars, and an over the trunk bike carrier that worked on a Jetta). But so far none of them are usable on the ID.4 or my wife's Golf.

#16 ·
Although I will probably not use surf racks as much with this car, I am also kinda irritated that the racks aren't in yet! Be warned though.. my neighbor borrowed our Yakima roof box for his tesla and reported that it severely effected his range. He said he will never use it again. So, be sure if you do choose to carry something on top that you are paying close attention to mileage until you've got a good idea of how far your car can go. By what I understand though, the attachment system for VW roof racks with bike racks, ski/snowboard holders, etc will still be the same for the id.4 racks. If someone has seen or knows otherwise please speak up so we can all plan accordingly!

#20 ·
I spoke with my dealer’s parts manager, he said that he dug around and found that the status of the load bars / base rack is “unreleased product”, but that there are some in the warehouse in LA. We think we have a set on order, and they may arrive in a week or so.

Meanwhile, Thule USA’s response was completely unhelpful

#23 ·
#24 ·
The cross bars look orderable now. The ID motif looks fantastic!
Interesting. I thought I was pretty familiar with the major manufacturers' offerings, but I don't recognize those feet. The product page is pretty skimpy on information like load rating, usable length, etc. At least it looks like an aero profile.

#26 ·
Just ordered the VW base carrier bars after noticing they were available online this morning. Can't wait to get them as the lack of roof bars is one of the only reasons I'm hanging on to my old VW Golf (which still has Thule bars from 2002!). I also ordered the indoor car cover and the fitted sunshield. Nice to see accessories and parts coming online. Hoping I can order the canoe kit from Thule and it will be a direct fit. I've never had the aero bars before just squares. I am a little disappointed that the bars don't seem more customized to the ID.4 for aerodynamics but oh well.

#33 · (Edited)
Looks like Thule has a fit kit for the ID.4 in Europe - Kit # 186009. The same kit also fits the Passat Estate/Wagon.

Hopefully, that Thule part number will make it over to the US soon. (Or perhaps it can be shipped from Europe).

EDIT : Found it on Amazon with international shipping:

Goes with these feet:

#65 ·
Looks like Thule has a fit kit for the ID.4 in Europe - Kit # 186009. The same kit also fits the Passat Estate/Wagon.

Hopefully, that Thule part number will make it over to the US soon. (Or perhaps it can be shipped from Europe).

[/URL]

Goes with these feet:

[/URL]
Does this amazon link

Goes with these feet:

Do I need VW brand rails at $300 or can I use this amazon link for Thule brand at $131 work fine too? Do I need another part to go with it? There are lots of universal rails available. Just not sure. We just got our ID.4 a few weeks ago and are going on a road trip of 9 hours for vacation soon.

#46 ·
I heard back from Thule NA today regarding the European Thule load bars:

Thule North America cannot supply products sold exclusively in Europe. You may be able to purchase the products through a third party like Roof Racks for international shipping. These products would be sold by an independent retailer, and are subject to the dealer's policies and pricing.

Thule North America does not cover any products purchased outside the US or Canada under warranty and cannot provide spare parts, installation or service for any such products.

Best regards,
Alanna
Thule

#53 · (Edited)
Hey there folks, I installed my bars this week and have the cargo carrier to attach for an upcoming trip. I wanted to ask, especially for those who have the OEM bars about the weather-stripping/gasket that goes into the channel on the bars. It’s designed to reduce noise, etc. but when I put the cargo carrier on the bars, I just take the gasket out?? Won’t that facilitate the noise and wind resistance? Any insight into my potential misunderstanding is much appreciated.

#58 ·
The Thule one is similar - I haven’t touched the weatherstripping.

I had about 230 miles range and was traveling 180 miles. I had to unexpectedly stop to charge about 68 miles out from my destination, as itsaid I had only 60 miles left on the charge. As soon as I got off the highway my range indicator stayed the same for almost 10 miles.

I’m averaging 3.4 kWh on my routine travels and on that trip it to dropped to 2.4 kWh. I maintenance about 65 mph, however, we hit some pretty heavy had constant rain, which I’m sure created more resistance.

#59 ·
Thanks! I see. My cargo carrier’s claws are small and expand out an up into the t-channel - where the rubber currently sits. The instructions are not explicit but suggest adding the rubber when the roof racks are not in use.
Thanks for the info regarding range reduction too. I suspect our plan to stop about 160 miles in to our trip is safe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.