Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

476 Posts
It seems the hardware and firmware of the led-lights is identical, but the steering option needs a separate software blob loaded into the lights, that simply isn't loaded for the US-spec models.
@JimmyVW I think the current hope is that with V3.1 the additional software functionality will be there for North Amera cars. @Pres is testing on his 2022 that is already on V3.1. I don't know if anyone else in North America has tried with V3.1, but as far as I know @dg4prez only tested on his 2021 model with older software.

476 Posts
When you speak of “Dynamic Light Assist”, to what, exactly, are you referring?
  • The steerable headlamps of some ID.4 trim levels?

• A matrix LED headlamp system that provides more-complete beam steering?

• Or something entirely different?

And which cars have hardware that can support these various schemes?
He's talking about matrix lighting. The part numbers for the headlamp modules in at least 2021 1st Edition and 2021 Pro S cars match what's been in EU cars that have matrix lighting. I assume this carried over to 2022 higher end models.

476 Posts
happy to have another look at a full backup of a 3.1 car, but I honestly have my doubts they'll include the needed bits until there is approval from the relevant US Federal Agency.
My understanding has been that the NHTSA formally approved the use of matrix/adaptive headlights for use in the U.S. back in Feb this year (2022). Given how infrequent SW updates have been the hope is that VW would have upgraded those bits now for future enabling later.

476 Posts

476 Posts
There is still missing part of necessary software for this to happen.... coding by manually changing various different things is possible but there is need for interlink between windshield camera module and headlight module.....I'm sure that some smart fellas on this thread will get missing things from EU ID4 to flash necessary things for two modules to work with this.
Just missing software patch to interlink two modules....can be done by advanced coding or flashing modules....no modules replacement needed.

@VW TECHNICIAN I'm just adding a cross reference to your other note in another thread that apparently v3.1.4 software for North America will now include all the missing code to link the windshield camera to the light module for Matrix lights. After this update, I take it to mean that we can then enable matrix lights through changing the light module settings through Obdeleven (or another tool that has SFD unlock capability). Great news!

476 Posts
Obdeleven will be required for this type of coding to enable this. US DOT has approved matrix lights for US ....when it will be updated or enabled from assembly line I'm not in power to make this statement.
My advice would be to check modules for EU market vs US market and from there do necessary coding changes for US market ID4.
I do believe that on this forum are people from EU with obdeleven that can pull specific data for matrix lights and windshield module to see what is needed to make changes.
All i can say with this working it is huge difference when driving at night and have matrix lights doo magic that will change completely how you will see road ahead of you. Once you get use to it, it will be hard to buy another vehicle without this on any other vehicle.

As always...we appreciate your great insight and help @VW TECHNICIAN

Do we have to wait until EU is also at v3.1.4 to compare enabled settings with US cars? or otherwise what version on EU can be used for comparison? @JimmyVW and @dg4prez previously compared earlier versions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts