Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I'm late to the ID.4 scene, but I'm interested in objective observations of those who have owned both vehicles.

There are features I love, and have trouble thinking of losing, like proximity-based locking and unlocking of the the doors.

I won't miss, though, trying to lift the trunk lid with hands holding a heavy or unwieldy load.

These are the type of likes and annoyances about which I'd like to hear, for both of these car models.

Thanks for your help, and I'll look forward to making an informed purchase choice!

·
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
404 Posts
Lucky for you, the ID.4 does have the proximity locking and unlocking, at least the Pro S and 1st Edition do as far as I know. But I get your point ☺ I'm looking forward to hearing folks' comments here. There are some things about the Model 3 and Model Y that are almost deal breakers for me.

·
ID.4 1st Glacier White w/Lunar Gray -ID.4 AWD Pro S Red - both ordered 9/23/20
142 Posts
The proximity unlocking in my USA FE can be enabled or disabled in the Vehicle menu. According to the UM on pp 69-72, the unlocking becomes disabled "If the vehicle is not unlocked for a long period of time" - It seems to be disabled overnight, but not when I'm out running a number of errands with multiple stops.

The only proximity locking that I have found is if the doors are unlocked and NOT opened physically within about 30secs - 1 minute. If none of the doors are opened within this time, the entire car will relock whether or not the key is nearby.

Not complete functionality the way that I'd like it to be. -- I'm a VCDS user and have made similar mods to my other VWs, so am hopeful that VCDS will find a way to make changes to the ID and Golf Rev. 8 lines soon.

Reactions: NBCGLX

·
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
404 Posts
Interesting, I thought I saw in one of the review videos that the car locks itself when you walk away, too. And overnight is a “long time”? That seems odd to me 😂

·
27 Posts
-- I'm a VCDS user and have made similar mods to my other VWs, so am hopeful that VCDS will find a way to make changes to the ID and Golf Rev. 8 lines soon.
I hope so, too. Hopefully, there will soon be a thread about it. I e-mailed Ross-Tech, and he said "VCDS works with the ID.4 for general scanning, fault codes, measuring data, etc. Making changes to the car is a different matter, both in procedures as well as compatibility. Assuming that your control modules are capable of the change (it's possible that European and North American ones us different hardware or firmware), some changes require SFD which VCDS does not currently support, as discussed in this thread:

Vehicle Diagnostic Protection SFD

I would not recommend purchasing VCDS for just this one purpose."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.