Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend an OBD2 reader and app that work well with iOS for an ID4? I see EVNotify but that hasn’t been updated for more than a year.

·
215 Posts
EVNotify's dev was on the real time chat during Bjorn's live stream of his ID4 range test and was mentioning that he is planning to add lot more info for ID4/3. But that maybe the android app.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
929 Posts
EVNotify's dev was on the real time chat during Bjorn's live stream of his ID4 range test and was mentioning that he is planning to add lot more info for ID4/3. But that maybe the android app.
I got EVnotify working today. The key is the dongle - there are lots of cheap counterfeits that don't work well.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
929 Posts
can you recommend a retailer or dongle that worked for you?

It's interesting that the iOS app doesn't list the ID.4 as being supported.
I got OBDLink LX from Amazon. Don't know about iOS, I have Android.

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got the Veepeak dongle and I was able to use Car Scanner ELM ODB2 and it saw the car and connected. Couldn’t find a way to get meaningful EV insights though because it is a very clunky / complicated app.

I tried EV notify but couldn’t select an OBD2 device because the selection bar is broken on iOS.

·
532 Posts
I got the Veepeak dongle and I was able to use Car Scanner ELM ODB2 and it saw the car and connected. Couldn’t find a way to get meaningful EV insights though because it is a very clunky / complicated app.

I tried EV notify but couldn’t select an OBD2 device because the selection bar is broken on iOS.
This is probably because Apple blocks normal bluetooth (BT) connections that I do all the time on Android, and requires any device manufacturer who wants to use it to purchase their 'authentication chip' whose only purpose is to ensure that Apple gets paid something for every BT device you connect. I have been writing apps using BT for both OS for as long as they have existed. So for Apple, you have to buy a more expensive and more complicated dongle (or any other device like headphones) that has that extra chip and firmware, and your app has to have the extra code to ensure that Apple got paid their cut, then it will connect with BT (but still not simple like android or windows.) Another option for connecting to Apple that some have used to get around that limit is a wifi dongle, which I don't like since it has a lot of other problems. Bluetooth LE (low energy) is another workaround for the stupid apple BT limits, but its very slow and limited set of BT so I would not recommend that either, since I like to monitor and log a lot of data in real time.
Its nice to be able to see graphs of battery temp, speed, KW usage, etc. like you see some people starting to post.

Because of this mess that apple created, there are now 4 kinds of devices to work around the mess. Classic BT is best by far and super easy on any non-apple, BT with apple authentication chip (veepeak and many others don't do that extra chip cost and work), then BTLE, then wifi. Which kind of dongle did you get?

Reactions: TPG

·
532 Posts
OBDeleven is pretty active with VW development
Note OBDeleven is android only, and so is Torque pro and ALL of the best apps, due to the apple restrictions I outline above which made full featured iOS apps using BT a giant mess. EVnotify and many other apps have not figured out the apple mess yet, and get lots of 1 star reviews due to it.

·
532 Posts
OBDeleven is iOS compatible, but there are more features if using Android.
Thats new and I had not seen. The drawback there is you can only use it with their BTLE dongle, so it will always be very limited features and very slow, and thats why it gets such bad reviews on the app store. But at least thats better than EVnotify and many other apps that don't explain about the 4 very different types of dongles and which type may work or not. I would strongly recommend against a BTLE device, having many of them that I have had to write code for. BT classic is simple, very fast for multiple real time displays on screen at once, and just works after a simple pairing, but not on iOS. For all the tech types here: BTLE gets a max data rate of 9kbps if the app was good with coding, while BT classic is 2100kbps with simple code.

·
White Pro S
255 Posts
I'm going to get myself an older android device and a bluetooth dongle so i can use evnotify with abrp - anything you would suggest I avoid? I'm not sure if evnotify supports the ID.4 yet, it definitely has nothing VW in the ios version.

@SunWizard do you have your car yet? You mentioned writing a torque profile when you have it.

·
532 Posts
I'm going to get myself an older android device and a bluetooth dongle so i can use evnotify with abrp - anything you would suggest I avoid? I'm not sure if evnotify supports the ID.4 yet, it definitely has nothing VW in the ios version.

@SunWizard do you have your car yet? You mentioned writing a torque profile when you have it.
No I don't have my car, waiting for AWD.

Yes EVnotify will work with the ID.4, Bjorn Nyland was using it on his test drive to see the KW in/out and battery temps. Its basic at this point but they said they plan to add more data. Torque pro is much more advanced, but nobody is posting about it here yet. I don't know how much of the data we want is available with standard OBD codes. Torque has a scan app that will test and find out every PID (codes sent to the car and it responds with its data) that anyone can use to find out what data is available. Thats what I mean by a profile, its a simple text file that lists all the PIDs that the car can respond to, and then you pick from among them to make a custom dash layout. It doe not require software engineer skills, anybody can make their own custom dash layouts. This is how I created the guages for my Jeep that I posted on another thread. I have been using this $23 dongle for the past 6 years and it works with every app and every car I have tried (probably why they have sold > 19000 of them.) Android or windows only since bluetooth classic is simple there.a NOT FOR IOS.
BAFX Products - Bluetooth OBD2 OBDII Car Diagnostic Code Reader Scanner Tool

Edit: use the ID.3 setting in EVnotify.

Reactions: TPG and dg4prez

·
White Pro S
255 Posts
On iOS there is no ID.3 setting, so I'm assuming Android is where it's at.

How's does evnotify work with integration into abrp? Do they need to be on the same device or does abrp pull from an online data source via api that evnotify uploads to?

·
532 Posts
Its worth it to buy a dongle to get the limited extra data that EVnotify gives like battery temps, and there will be much more coming. I have not tried ABRP connected to EVnotify, but @ID.Furkan made this vid:

ABRP is great and I will be using it instead of the stock nav for road trips, even when not integrated with EVnotify its very accurate and defaults to choosing EA fast chargers when possible. I could go on and on with listing the ways its better than the stock nav.

Reactions: dogue

·
White Pro S
255 Posts
I've purchased the subscription in advance of my first road trip in July. I'd love the evnotify integration if it doesn't need to be on the same device, too.

·
532 Posts
You have to leave a phone in the car connected with dongle that sends the live data up to the evnotify server, and that phone is best to be android for BT tech reasons I mentioned above. Then that data is linked over the web to ABRP server, and is used by the app that could be on your apple or android device. Then ABRP becomes super accurate since it knows your location and SOC history and much more. This is how it notifies you about state of charge by text/email while fast charging (its main function.) Its a lot of new apps that will have bugs but will be really cool when you get it working.

·
12 Posts
Perfect. I'll have to find myself an inexpensive Android and stuff it somewhere.
No need to. Car Scanner Elm Obd2 app works on iOS:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts