Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

Yes, EVnotify is bugged on iOS and not working for most, see its reviews. A number of other better apps like Torque pro only run on android. Also if you want real time gauges for anything, the BLE dongles are very slow and won't update properly. A Bluetooth classic dongle operates at 100-1000x the speed, which you need for real-time, but only work on Android.

Did not notice any disturbing delays on iOS in Car Scanner ELM OBD2 and it actually reads more ID.4 parameters than EVNotify.

Car Scanner works on Android, too, but has no integration with A Better Route Planner, could not find such option.

This is probably because Apple blocks normal bluetooth (BT) connections that I do all the time on Android, and requires any device manufacturer who wants to use it to purchase their 'authentication chip' whose only purpose is to ensure that Apple gets paid something for every BT device you connect. I have been writing apps using BT for both OS for as long as they have existed. So for Apple, you have to buy a more expensive and more complicated dongle (or any other device like headphones) that has that extra chip and firmware, and your app has to have the extra code to ensure that Apple got paid their cut, then it will connect with BT (but still not simple like android or windows.) Another option for connecting to Apple that some have used to get around that limit is a wifi dongle, which I don't like since it has a lot of other problems. Bluetooth LE (low energy) is another workaround for the stupid apple BT limits, but its very slow and limited set of BT so I would not recommend that either, since I like to monitor and log a lot of data in real time.
Its nice to be able to see graphs of battery temp, speed, KW usage, etc. like you see some people starting to post.

Because of this mess that apple created, there are now 4 kinds of devices to work around the mess. Classic BT is best by far and super easy on any non-apple, BT with apple authentication chip (veepeak and many others don't do that extra chip cost and work), then BTLE, then wifi. Which kind of dongle did you get?
Or it's because Apple cares about security

This is probably because Apple blocks normal bluetooth (BT) connections that I do all the time on Android, and requires any device manufacturer who wants to use it to purchase their 'authentication chip' whose only purpose is to ensure that Apple gets paid something for every BT device you connect.
Hmmm need to look a little more into your misinformation and inaccuracy on that point. You are showing a tiny anti Apple bias when you make such a broad sweeping factually incorrect statement.

The authentication chip is part of the MFI program and bluetooth is not an accessory in the program.

Accessories that do not use any of the MFi licensed technology listed above are not part of the MFi Program. Examples include:
  • Accessories that use only standard Bluetooth profiles supported by iOS
  • Accessories that use only Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) (Note: BLE-enabled HomeKit accessories and BLE-enabled MFi Hearing Aids are part of the MFi Program)
  • Accessories that connect to an Apple device through the headphone jack and do not use any MFi licensed technology
  • Cases that don't integrate MFi components. For example, non-electronic protective cases and folios are not part of the MFi Program. However, iPhone battery cases and MagSafe-enabled cases are part of the program.

The issue is something else if you cant connect the bluetooth device. Usually related to the authentication process, but nothing to do with a chip being required.

Now the issue for EVnotify is more likely one relating to the pain in the b**tt that the app certification process with Apple, but not being the developer I cant say for sure why.

The authentication chip is part of the MFI program and bluetooth is not an accessory in the program.
Bluetooth classic is not supported without the Auth chip. These BT profiles you mention (standard Bluetooth profiles supported by iOS which are mainly headsets and speakers) are of no use to connect to a OBD port. We need serial port profile, and that is what we are talking about here when I say BT classic. I have been a developer of both BT hardware and software for a long time so have lots of knowledge of the MFI program and all its rules and limits.

There is one dongle OBDLink庐 MX+ - Outstanding Bluetooth-Compatible OBD II Scan Tool that has the apple auth chip so will work at full BT classic speeds and will be much better, but also more expensive than the BT LE (4.0) devices that most will buy. And much more than the $15 BT classic dongles that work well on android.

I got EVnotify working today. The key is the dongle - there are lots of cheap counterfeits that don't work well.
Hi Eric,
in the printscreen you posted SOH = 0%.
What is the value now, four months later?
Do you have some information for your EV?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts