Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

ID.4 1st Edition
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took delivery of a new ID.4 today thanks to a canceled order coming available at my dealer. As I was waiting to sign the papers, I went to sit in the car. It turned on, the radio and climate were on, but the infotainment screen would not turn on. Totally blank screen. No buttons would activate it

The tech found a fault in the reverse tail light, which they replaced. I鈥檓 not sure what else they had to do, but they got it working again. It was really strange, and I almost walked away. The VIN is a very early build (069xx), which might have something to do with it.

Another odd thing I noticed is that when I first got in the car, it showed a battery range of 250 miles, but when I put my foot on the brake it showed a range of 330 miles (at 82% battery). I was able to replicate that after getting out and back in.

Any ideas what that鈥檚 about?

I feel like the car is weird when in a semi-on state where the 12V accessories are running, but the HV battery is not (foot not on brake). My infotainment system is super laggy on 12V but gets better once the car is properly on.

I wonder if the discrepancy in estimated mileage can be attributed to that. The GOM is accurate with the car on (based on recent driving), whereas the GOM shows a default "rated range" when the car is off.

ID4:1E - Blue Dusk Metallic
Check to see what software package is in it. The symptoms are reminiscent of issues for version 1.x.

ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
I just experienced something similar.

Disconnected from the charger and went in to explore a menu prior to my wife taking it.

AC came on, driver display fired up, but the center display was blank until shifting into reverse. In reverse, the camera display popped up, but just it in the space it normally appears in. Everything else was blank.

Shifted out of reverse and screen went totally blank again.

My wife had an uneventful drive with the blank screen (speaker phone didn't work). An hour after parking I went out to take a look and everything was normal.

My take: intermittent bug I'm not going to stress over, I expect it'll be corrected in the next software update.

I just experienced something similar.

Disconnected from the charger and went in to explore a menu prior to my wife taking it.

AC came on, driver display fired up, but the center display was blank until shifting into reverse. In reverse, the camera display popped up, but just it in the space it normally appears in. Everything else was blank.

Shifted out of reverse and screen went totally blank again.

My wife had an uneventful drive with the blank screen (speaker phone didn't work). An hour after parking I went out to take a look and everything was normal.

My take: intermittent bug I'm not going to stress over, I expect it'll be corrected in the next software update.
[/QU
I just took delivery of a new ID.4 today thanks to a canceled order coming available at my dealer. As I was waiting to sign the papers, I went to sit in the car. It turned on, the radio and climate were on, but the infotainment screen would not turn on. Totally blank screen. No buttons would activate it

The tech found a fault in the reverse tail light, which they replaced. I鈥檓 not sure what else they had to do, but they got it working again. It was really strange, and I almost walked away. The VIN is a very early build (069xx), which might have something to do with it.

Another odd thing I noticed is that when I first got in the car, it showed a battery range of 250 miles, but when I put my foot on the brake it showed a range of 330 miles (at 82% battery). I was able to replicate that after getting out and back in.

View attachment 2321
View attachment 2322

My screen also went blank once. I ended up holding down the start/stop button on the steering column until it rebooted. Everything has been fine since. As for the mileage, our dealer told us it would be inaccurate until we drove the car for awhile, and charged a few times. I believe when we first got into the car, it said 350 miles. Now it's been close to what one would expect. Full charge 250 miles. 80% about 218.

ID.4 FE GW
My car is also on software build 0792 and has frequent glitches. Today the volume controls stopped working on the audio and would only adjust the volume of the car's speaking voice. The infotainment system had some glitch and turned off too.

I had a similar thing happen with the infotainment sound today. radio would not play sound nor would iPhone make calls. after returning home and going back later to move the car, it was back in action. weird. I wish there was a troubleshooting guide for this thing. I don't find much help on internet either - even though some of the other models have had some similar issues.

ID.4 FE GW
I had a similar thing happen with the infotainment sound today. radio would not play sound nor would iPhone make calls. after returning home and going back later to move the car, it was back in action. weird. I wish there was a troubleshooting guide for this thing. I don't find much help on internet either - even though some of the other models have had some similar issues.
Thanks for the confirmation. I'm pretty sure that this sort of thing is a bug that may be difficult to reproduce or work around consistently. The software just isn't ready. Hopefully we'll get an update that works better and just doesn't have different bugs.

2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
I don't have mine yet but my reaction to pretty much anything funky in the infotainment would be to restart it by holding the power button down.

ID.4 1st Edition
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My screen also went blank once. I ended up holding down the start/stop button on the steering column until it rebooted. Everything has been fine since. As for the mileage, our dealer told us it would be inaccurate until we drove the car for awhile, and charged a few times. I believe when we first got into the car, it said 350 miles. Now it's been close to what one would expect. Full charge 250 miles. 80% about 218.
I tried that, too, but it didn鈥檛 help.
I don't have mine yet but my reaction to pretty much anything funky in the infotainment would be to restart it by holding the power button down.
That didn鈥檛 work for me, but maybe 10 seconds wasn鈥檛 long enough.

ID.4 1st Edition
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lesson for buyers: have the service team do a test for any faults before you take delivery of the car.

Lesson for buyers: have the service team do a test for any faults before you take delivery of the car.
@Michael SD Thanks for the reminder. It's not something I probably would have remembered to ask.

On my first test drive a few weeks ago, the demo, which also had 0792, had the infotainment display go blank just as @Nai3t described and only reversing turned the display back on with the camera. I kept driving and the display came back on eventually. The sales guy in the car had no clue and I just chalked it up to a bug.

The radio on the demo I drove was messed up and knew it needed a hard reboot. Depending on how many people have driven it, there could have been a lot of setting fiddling going on. Definitely do the reboot and I think there might be a reset to default somewhere in there as well.

ID.4 1st Edition
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
[
The radio on the demo I drove was messed up and knew it needed a hard reboot. Depending on how many people have driven it, there could have been a lot of setting fiddling going on. Definitely do the reboot and I think there might be a reset to default somewhere in there as well.
Question: how do you do a hard reboot? That鈥檚 what I still can鈥檛 figure out.

[

Question: how do you do a hard reboot? That鈥檚 what I still can鈥檛 figure out.
I read on here that you hold the power button down and was attempting to do it but the salesman came back and he did it. I think you have to hold it down for a long time. Seemed like >10 sec I also think the car has to be 鈥榦n鈥.

Super Moderator
I have not had any software issues to date however my car showed a 350 mile range when delivered with a full charge. It now has about 500 miles on it and the range estimate is much closer to reality.

View attachment 2321
View attachment 2322
I noticed that my guess-ometer was basically/completely wrong until I had driven an entire charge off. I believe it will he more accurate for you after a charge or 2. I am now at about 400 miles on mine and the guess-ometer seems more reliable now.

View attachment 2321
View attachment 2322
Michael

View attachment 2321
View attachment 2322
Michael, I had the same 330 range on delivery. After the first charge to 80% at EA it all corrected and I started seeing a normal range in the area of 240.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts