Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else find it strange there isn't any specific information on the AWD ID.4? It's not like they're coming out with a new model. It's merely an AWD version of a car that's been released already and, yet, no press leaks.

I would be interested in knowing the system's effect on range. I'd also like to know if there would be any interesting badging or if they'll just simply call it "ID.4 AWD."

If anyone has the inside scoop, please share. This waiting game is killing me!

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
404 Posts
There’s a document floating around here somewhere that has some more details. The front fender badges will reflect Pro AWD or Pro S AWD, but I think that’s the only discernible difference between the two. That and the AWD has bigger front brakes. I guess you might also pick up on the heated front windshield if you look closely. I think VW quotes the AWD model at 0-60 in 5.8 seconds (7.8 for the RWD). I think that’s the only information we have so far, in addition to the 302 hp figure you mentioned.

·
ID.4 FE
100 Posts
It doesn’t come out ‘til the end of the year and you think it’s odd that there’s no leaks? Dude, the Q4 e-tron is literally being mass manufactured already and we still haven’t seen an uncamo’d exterior or gotten a any pricing info 😆

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
It doesn’t come out ‘til the end of the year and you think it’s odd that there’s no leaks? Dude, the Q4 e-tron is literally being mass manufactured already and we still haven’t seen an uncamo’d exterior or gotten a any pricing info 😆
I think the point is that it’s not a new model, it’s just a powertrain difference. The Q4 is a completely new model (as the ID.4 was when it was first shown to the public last year). But yeah, it’s very weird that Audi is mum on the Q4.

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree the Audi situation is a little strange but that's an entirely different model. The difference is the AWD variant is just that, a variant. You'd think we could get some other details like official range numbers.

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD
722 Posts
Could be the Osborne Effect. They don't want customers delaying purchasing existing models waiting for the next one.

As far as range, the Enyaq AWD is 460 km WLTP vs 510 km for the RWD - my guess is the ID.4 will also have a 10% difference (so 225 miles). I heard a rumor that VW will keep the 250 EPA range for the AWD as well but would still be about 10% less efficient than RWD.

Reactions: DubCurious

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Here's a little AWD information I found in the ID.4 Owner's Manual 10-2020 Edition someone kindly posted a link to. On page 144 it indicates changing the output of the two motors when in "Traction" mode. This leads me to wonder if, when cruising in normal driving, the front motor is dialed down for range improvement?

·
1,248 Posts
This leads me to wonder if, when cruising in normal driving, the front motor is dialed down for range improvement?
Yes, but also for better handling on dry pavement. Most advanced AWD systems now use around 40/60 front/rear torque split for better handling. And the good ones like my Jeep offer a range of different torque splits that you pick with a dial: Auto/Snow/Mud/Rock that also adjust the suspension height and stiffness, and some modes lock the electronic limited slip differentials (ELSD). I wonder if the ID.4 has a ELSD, since that makes a huge improvement in snow beyond plain AWD. Edit: I searched and see that the ID.4 has something like ELSD, even on RWD models. (but they call it XDS.)
2021 ID.4 press kit
The new Vehicle Dynamics Manager control system, which debuted last year on the European Mk 8 Golf GTI, is standard on ID.4 models. This system, which works closely with the ESC stability control system, controls the wheel-selective brake interventions of the XDS® electronic transverse differential lock. It uses a digital target model to achieve optimum driving and steering behavior. As soon as the vehicle turns into a corner, the ID.4 behaves in a spontaneous, linear and accurate manner.

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's a little AWD information I found in the ID.4 Owner's Manual 10-2020 Edition someone kindly posted a link to. On page 144 it indicates changing the output of the two motors when in "Traction" mode. This leads me to wonder if, when cruising in normal driving, the front motor is dialed down for range improvement?
Or maybe VW has found the secret to creating a perpetual motion machine and it will charge itself with the front motor while being driven by the rear motor?:unsure: I'm kidding, of course.

That is a pretty interesting snippet there. Thanks for sharing.

I've also read some of the other figures mentioned here and the 10% range difference makes sense when looking at other EV's out there that offer both types of drivetrains. That's about what you see everywhere else. I just wish we didn't only have speculation to go on.

·
1,248 Posts
I searched on and found a good video explaining the VW ELSD and how it works, Its a very advanced system with quick response. Very interesting to me as an engineer:
How the VW (VAQ) Electronic Limited Slip Differential Works
He gave a few points that all of us need to know (even RWD): change the VAQ oil every 3 years. It locks the diff on every start from a stop, which is very nice for RWD use where the huge 0mph torque of the ID.4 would otherwise chirp the tires easily. This explains the reports I have seen of the RWD models handling light snow surprisingly well.

·
204 Posts
In regards to the expected range of AWD ID4, Skoda has released the WLTP figures for all versions of the Enyaq.

Enyaq 77KWH RWD 204 PS: 536 km
Enyaq 77KWH AWD 306 PS: 460 km

This is a 14% loss of range for the AWD.

·
258 Posts
In regards to the expected range of AWD ID4, Skoda has released the WLTP figures for all versions of the Enyaq.

Enyaq 77KWH RWD 204 PS: 536 km
Enyaq 77KWH AWD 306 PS: 460 km

This is a 14% loss of range for the AWD.
That is quite a drop. That makes me think that the front motor can not be disengaged but that it is spinning constantly even when doing constant speed interstate driving.

·
1,248 Posts
Another comparison is the ID.4 GTX AWD which drops from 520 to 470 kilometers (323 to 292 miles) in the WLTP cycle, or about 10%
VW ID.4 GTX Debuts Next Spring With More Power And AWD, But Less Range
Bigger diameter wheels (20" vs 19) also lowers the range by about 10%, so an AWD with the 19" may be about the same range as a FE. This could help explain why there are reports they will keep it at 250 for AWD.

·
204 Posts
That is quite a drop. That makes me think that the front motor can not be disengaged but that it is spinning constantly even when doing constant speed interstate driving.
The 536 km rating for the RWD model may be incorrect. It's hard to find the correct number.

According to Wikipedia its 510 km. In that case, the loss is 10%

·
ID.4 FE
100 Posts
I think the point is that it’s not a new model, it’s just a powertrain difference. The Q4 is a completely new model (as the ID.4 was when it was first shown to the public last year). But yeah, it’s very weird that Audi is mum on the Q4.
I think with the way their software division has been so behind and how that can directly relate to EV performance they're probably going to hold the numbers close to their chest until they've fine-tuned it and know exactly what specs they're shipping. They can always update the specs on the fly with OTA updates, but they've got one shot to get the initially published specs out into the Press and PR world.

·
36 Posts
Does anyone else find it strange there isn't any specific information on the AWD ID.4? It's not like they're coming out with a new model. It's merely an AWD version of a car that's been released already and, yet, no press leaks.

I would be interested in knowing the system's effect on range. I'd also like to know if there would be any interesting badging or if they'll just simply call it "ID.4 AWD."

If anyone has the inside scoop, please share. This waiting game is killing me!
Waiting - and the constant setbacks in timing killing me too. I would LOVE to be able to find out when VW starts producing the awd for Europe, because that would give me some idea (+3-6 months?) of when mine will arrive. Apparently, that is the only question that Google and the auto trade publications (print and digital) can't answer! If they wait too long, I might have to switch over to the Audi Q4, assuming they offer a model/option level that is not too much more expensive than my ID4.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I searched on and found a good video explaining the VW ELSD and how it works, Its a very advanced system with quick response. Very interesting to me as an engineer:
How the VW (VAQ) Electronic Limited Slip Differential Works
He gave a few points that all of us need to know (even RWD): change the VAQ oil every 3 years. It locks the diff on every start from a stop, which is very nice for RWD use where the huge 0mph torque of the ID.4 would otherwise chirp the tires easily. This explains the reports I have seen of the RWD models handling light snow surprisingly well.
I'm 99.99% certain the ID.4 does not have a limited-slip differential. Rather, it uses a brake-based system found in some other VW's called XDS that applies the inside brake while turning to help direct torque to the outside wheel, thereby enhancing the yaw moment.

On another note, since the AWD model does not rely on slip to power either axle, I'm guessing VW mixes the balance of power quite a bit between the axles. This is basically what Tesla does with it's AWD models, too.

·
ID.4 Pro S RWD
211 Posts
I would LOVE to be able to find out when VW starts producing the awd for Europe, because that would give me some idea (+3-6 months?) of when mine will arrive. Apparently, that is the only question that Google and the auto trade publications (print and digital) can't answer!
Keep an eye on the VWAG media site (Volkswagen Newsroom). I wouldn't be surprised to see a press release pop up on there to the tune of "ID.4 Family Expands: First AWD ID.4 Rolls off Production Line at Zwickau." Unless there's another delay, I would think maybe early summer.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts