Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today we were coming home from the dentist about noon. A dump truck passes us and barrage of stone comes off the truck.. The stone is about 2" in size. Broke our windshield an scared our paint all over the front and one mirrow. The car has less than 300 miles on it. The repairs are about $3000.00. WE are sick. But Erie insurance has been here and gave us the estimate. Now the the shop is suppose to call us to setup and appointment for repairs. Just another day in the USA.

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
706 Posts
Oh man, that's terrible! I hope it'll look like new soon.

·
167 Posts
Oh, NO! That's awful! I wish you the best of luck with the repair. And yes, it's at least partially a USA problem.

·
167 Posts
This was a lot of years ago, but I was once rear-ended in my new car that I had only bought 2 weeks prior. It is never a pleasant experience to have some idiot run into you, but the shorter the time you've had the car, the more it dials up the frustration.

However, sounds like you weren't hurt. Now that is always more important than what happens to the car.

·
407 Posts
Isn't the dump truck owner liable in this case?

Terrible news either way :(
They would be if you can find out who it was. A good Ins. Co. could do that. I have had three windshields broken that way in the last four years. Some how we have to top these trucking companies for being so careless.

·
Super Moderator
487 Posts
Sorry to hear this. Good luck with the repair.

·
282 Posts
Isn't the dump truck owner liable in this case?

Terrible news either way :(
Yes the truck driver or rather his employer is liable. The driver is supposed to tarp the load and clean off the tailgate before entering a road. Following the truck to the worksite is the best way to handle it.
I worked in road construction 34 years. At this point it is he said he said though and makes the case for a dash camera. If you see a truck hauling soil, rock, asphalt or construction machinery it is best to change lanes and pass them as quickly as possible.

·
213 Posts
In Virginia, if that stone contacts the road before it contacts your vehicle, it is an Act of God. I told them my God doesn't sling rocks off of a truck to break windshields. I still had to pay for it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts