Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 350 Posts

Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
I think it might take some time in places where there is a high concentration of ID.4s.
Dealers might limit to some number per week just so they can provide service to ICE customers. The experience in Europe was that some dealers were booking cars for 2 days just so they can be sure to complete the work. So I wouldn't expect this to be a quick process.

The majority of owners probably aren't paying close attention to this - the people who are most vocal about wanting an update will probably try and get in as soon as it becomes available.

Premium Member
From what I have read in European forums, some dealers have had good success with upgrades, while others have had issues. I haven't seen a good explanation of why some and not others.

I have seen a few common things come up however:
  • There are suggestions that for best results, the techs need to follow VW's instructions to the letter.
  • Dealers are generally booking the car for 2 days. The upgrade to 2.4 technically can be done in 1 day, but that's only if the tech gets started 1st thing in the morning, and they might have some other car in the bay from the previous day that they need to finish with 1st. So it is oftentimes better to just set customer expectations for 2 days.
  • Some dealers were only booking 1 upgrade per week, and that's mainly so that they can continue to provide service for ICE cars.
  • Dealers with poor/weak/slow internet connections may have more issues. Weak/spotty WiFi in the service bay may also cause issues. US dealers have been reportedly instructed to add a 2nd internet connection so as to provide a more reliable connection that isn't affected by other activities within the dealership. But I can imagine that some dealers might say "Nahh, what we have is good enough" :rolleyes:. See the 1st point about following VW's instructions to the letter.
  • The laptops that the techs use may have issues with overly strict firewalls that block some things. Or laptop power management settings that cause it to sleep/hibernate if it perceives that the thing isn't in use.
  • Some 3rd party equipment installs were causing upgrades to fail. The quick and dirty solution is to temporarily disable the equipment (pull the fuse) to let the upgrade proceed.
  • Some dealerships in Europe were delaying upgrades because their techs hadn't completed all of the required training, or if the techs that did have the training were on vacation. Rolling out a big upgrade in Europe during the summer months was bound to run into these kinds of issues.
  • Some dealerships in Europe were delaying upgrades because of a shortage of 12V batteries.
  • Every once in a while, a module gets "stuck" and won't take an upgrade, and those modules may need to be replaced. I haven't seen a good explanation for that either, some have speculated about the possibility that there was some variability in manufacturing of the modules themselves, and this results in the upgrade taking longer than 1-2 days.
  • I believe the 2022 MY cars also need an update of some sort (not as big as for 2021 cars), but I don't know whether this is an OTA or a dealer visit would be required. If a dealer visit is required, it may clog up the appointment schedule a little bit.
By now, VW should have seen enough that they are prepared for whatever happens.

We don't know with certainty what VW will do in the initial dealer appointment. Just upgrade to 2.4 like they did in Europe (and then use OTA to go beyond that)? Or will they take us further to 3.something? I have seen people speculate either way - we will know more later, I guess.

Premium Member
Volkswagen pages - for those countries in Europe that have the info on 3.0 OTA available - don't specify it's the download that takes that long. It's the update in full. Whether it downloads a piece, installs, downloads another, install it downloads the whole package and then installs, it's not said.

Further, I don't know if those are worst case scenario -times or expected times, as it's not stated either.
I recall reading that the update required a 20-30Gb download. So you need to have a decent connection to download something that big, but once the download is complete, the individual pieces of it need to get installed one-by-one.

Premium Member
Nice list. None of which, I guess, is a surprise to me. But I work in this kind of stuff every day. :)

The stuck module thing is the reason computer's have included backup BIOS areas now for years. Nothing like doing a 'mandatory' upgrade on your computer only to find it bricked. But we are talking about cost controlled modules where it's functionality > price > long term service. Cars have 'replaceable parts' and we take it for granted as a society and design for 'theoretical life span' vs actual life span. We benefit from 'cheaper' modules, but at the cost of long term reliability.
It kind of reminds me of an Android update. An Android phone has a "recovery mode" - a 2nd boot partition that has a very simplified menu of options. So even if the normal Android is bricked, you can reset to factory settings.

The "big" modules, like ICAS1 or ICAS3 might have such a capability - the smaller ones are less likely to have such a capability.

Premium Member
That's good to know. What VW has not changed is the onboard navigation, which still shows gas stations along with fast-food restaurants shown up on the binnacle. Is this for using bathrooms/washrooms or is this because the ICEV navigation is being used? I find it insulting that the onboard navigation doesn't have a feature to specify the desired arrival SOC, or that one has to press several obscure places on the navigation screen to get to the information on the projected arrival SOC, but gas stations along the route are shown front and center on both screens. Additionally, why doesn't the current consumption rate (miles per kWh) and the consumption rate since the last charge aren't shown on the navigation screen? It's like VW didn't have years to work on this and get it right.
You haven't even seen 3.x and you are already complaining about it.

Premium Member
UK forums have customers reporting booked appointments being cancelled and reinstated a few weeks later - obviously those booking in before the cancellations were happening or after the reinstatement won't have noticed
is that just because of a shortage of 12V batteries, or is there something more serious going on?

Premium Member
I'm in the US too and didn't receive the email. I guess I'm not on their distribution list.
Check your spam folders. It would be the same email address you used when you signed up with VW (if you used a burner account, look there). I wouldn't sweat it too much - it isn't like there is any immediate action to be taken.

Premium Member
ld make out much better by buying out your lease at any time before the end, and sell it to carvana or others with their simple process, since the residual value is less than half the MSRP, and many used ID.4 are still selling for more than MSRP. That will change in a year, but its value will likely not drop in half.
For 2 days?
I don't know what my limit would be to wait for a car, but 2 days isn't going to work. Our dealer has a valet service where they pick up/drop off at home for a 25$ charge - that to me is the most attractive option.

Premium Member
anybody received ETA for this service? We have an annual maintenance due and want to take care of this at the same time. But service advisor (at a very high volume dealer) said she had no idea about the update and 12v campaign and had never heard about it.
Nothing as of yet. They said they are planning to begin this process by the end of the year, but that still leaves them a lot of wiggle room. Realistically I wouldn't expect many cars to be updated until Q1 2023. There are other bits that need to fall into place - they need to line up and distribute the 12V batteries, the dealer techs will need to have completed the required training, and the internet service at the dealership may need to be upgraded to better support giant downloads. And those are just the things off the top of my head.

It is likely that at some point you will see a service campaign appear for the vehicle related to this work. This hasn't happened yet however. It could happen tomorrow - it could be many weeks from now.

I would note that the 3.0 rollout in Europe has been quite slow - numbers of people have the 2.4 update now, but they are taking the next stage quite slowly. Nobody in Europe with older cars has 3.1 yet.

Premium Member
This is now what the next step is in Europe.
Last week the members of the VW ID Drivers Club all over Europe could apply to become Beta tester for the new modified OTA update.
The first group to receive the update in Germany, including Cris from Battery Life, was not without problems.
There were 3800 candidates including myself of which 1000 are now selected to test as many different types of battery and options as possible on the update.
The German owners where the first update went wrong now also get the modified version.
we also have a guarantee that if the vehicle crashes it will be towed to the dealer free of charge.馃槅
The 2.4 update is still sometimes difficult in some countries due to a temporary shortage of 12V batteries.馃え
The US market is in a sense easier in that there is only one battery size, and I think that for the purposes of the update, all 1st edition cars were nearly identical. No HUD, no 360 camera.

Premium Member
Nope. And I don't expectt we will until later this year. The e-mail is a step in the right direction for VWoA in actually communicating. But this is a part of the company that has been completely mum despite much higher engagement in Europe. So don't expect much.
While communication has been better in Europe, people there are still complaining about poor communications.

Premium Member
My friend got the email a few days ago and was shortly after contacted by his dealer to make an appointment. He's scheduled to get the update in a week. I, on the other hand, have still not gotten the message, though I bought my car at the same time. 馃え
It will be interesting to see if they are actually able to go through with this - I have read of instances in Europe where people had the appointment, but when they got to the dealer, they found that something still hadn't been fully released, and they couldn't do it quite yet.

Premium Member
If I could get 50 cents for every rumor, I would be a rich man. But there was this:

Premium Member
Corp was suppose to make an "announcement" "yesterday" (& didn't), so local dealers are going to hang tight moving forward til Corporate rolls this campaign out. But the flash files have been issued only recently & the techs need time to make sure everything works before they start making appointments with customers.

We're (as customers) really close...
They may be waiting until a sufficient number of dealers are prepared (training complete, batteries on-hand, etc). Just guessing however..

1 - 20 of 350 Posts