Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 17 of 350 Posts

2,737 Posts
Yeah, and now add in that it's for a system you can't touch, can't monitor and have to deliver the software pacakge to without watching it.... and the reasons multiply like flies.
Well, I actually do have some experience writing software for systems you can’t easily touch - my first software job title was “Satellite Systems Engineer” 😉 if we made a bad enough mistake, someone was going up on the Space Shuttle to do the software install. Fortunately that never happened!

2,737 Posts
This is normal not just for EVs but for ICEs as well. How do I know? I once worked for a company that was contracted to work on the software for GM, Hyundai, BMW, Mercedes, VW, just to name a few. These were for ICE vehicles, way back when. It's not a new idea.
It’s not just cars… everything runs on Virtual Machines today; most or all of the servers in every data center of every company I’ve ever worked at are just Virtual Machine hosts - in fact, the ”cloud” wouldn’t be possible without Virtual Machines…

2,737 Posts
Is it still possible to do business with Carvana at this point? I see their website is still up, but they're going through some serious problems, like suspension in Michigan, stock drop of 90%
They just sent me an advertising email yesterday!

2,737 Posts
I have none of these issues with my MY21 under v2.1 s/w. I would therefore think you should pursue "buy back", "lemon law", or similar as a software update is unlikely to rectify. It appears you have more serious computer/gateway/sensor/wiring issues.

Caveat: I can't help but add that my patient startup procedure (allowing all to fully boot, etc.) has I believe helped me avoid "gremlins." But again yours seem much more serious.
And I have never subscribed to Huey’s “patient startup” theory and never had those issues either! I once had errrors due to low 12v battery but they went away as it recharged and never returned, in over a year of ownership. Only other glitches I’ve had have been a few times (3 total) where Apple CarPlay couldn’t find my iPhone - and always resolved on next use. I would take it to the dealer and have them diagnose and replace whatever is bad!

Reactions: Huey52

2,737 Posts
I believe that the vast majority of these errors may be due to low 12v battery voltage... especially if they occur intermittently. I would have your dealer perform a 12v battery test (they have a test they don't like to do because it takes a long time so you may have to cajole them a little)... good luck!

2,737 Posts
I just got this email too.

Normally I'm first on the beta software bandwagon. This time I don't mind being in a subsequent batch, because I don't trust VW to fix it if they mess up.
Me too - on both counts ;) I guess they're batching out the emails...

2,737 Posts
I was talking to my service advisor anyway and he confirmed they are beginning the updates for the First Edition folks and when VW adds our VIN numbers to the program we should get a reminder to schedule an appointment. He thought it might be a physical letter in addition to an alert in the myVW app. He also confirmed that they (Douglas VW, Summit, NJ) are a "participating Volkswagen dealership" as the email says... so now I know it will happen, but they will have time to practice on our friends who have the earlier build cars :)

Reactions: Eric Nay

2,737 Posts
BTW, I beleive the timer, like is was in our Audi, is mileage OR days, whichever comes first. In other words the first service is at 10k miles or 1 year since your last inspection.
Correct - there was also a free inspection for ID.4 at 30 days, but that wasn’t programmed in the car. The regular service reminder will be every 365 days or 10k miles.

2,737 Posts
Yeah, we skipped that one as the car was doing fine and seemed to be no reason for it. My Audi experience with that was it was more of a 'hey new driver, how are YOU doing with this car?' vs them being worried about anything on the car. Seemed reduntant.
They took the car for a couple hours, gave me a Tiguan loaner. They checked the nitrogen in the tires, ordered me a new cargo tray under warranty because mine had something sharp sticking out of it (like a staple), and checked the coolant and brake fluid levels. They did not connect the car to the computer and read any faults, which I was expecting them to do…

2,737 Posts
We shall see...interesting timing on my part - my car went into the shop today to have the regional service rep take a look with the shop foreman for all errors and warnings that have been thrown to date, as well as to discuss recall 9302 - luckily the 9302 fix was released today and the 97FY - so hopefully mine is in line to get fixed. The service manager said they would do everything they could to order the 97FY parts needed...fingers crossed.
Good luck! Unless there’s really a defective module somewhere, my suspicion would be that if you’re getting mutliple different errrors it’s likely down to bad 12v battery supplying insufficient voltage.

2,737 Posts
SO....my car has been in the shop since Tuesday. I got notifications on my app today...opened my App and it now looks like the 2023 owners app...sooooo fingers crossed that indicates my 3.x software and new battery have been applied....fingers crossed!
Lovely to hear… Can’t wait to hear your reaction when you get the car home!

2,737 Posts
One of my co-workers bought an ID.4 at my suggestion back in October of last year ... I asked him last week how he likes driving it - he doesn't know. His wife won't let him! :ROFLMAO: She also made him clean out the garage so she didn't have to leave it outside to charge... he's a little miffed with me.

2,737 Posts
Well, the first time she tried to interact with our ID.4 (right upon bringing it home from the dealer), it gave her the dreaded “Electrical Fault; Service Vehicle Now” error and the car then spent nearly a week in the shop as VW eventually diagnosed the problem to an intermittent fault caused by a software error.

I think this experience left a lasting impression on her as to whether or not our ID.4 was reliable.
Boy, I hope she isn't as unforgiving when you anger her!

2,737 Posts
Because some of the 55 ECUs are not OTA capable. The BMS is not OTA capable and this is why we need to go to a dealer for the 3.1 update.
I believe the BMS flash was done as part of 2.1 -> 2.4, because the Europeans reported it… I suspect this is improvements to the update process software (loaders, etc) rather than the update itself. Given the reports of module failures, I suspect they’re re-writing the code that actually updates these modules to have better error handling which will reduce the failure rate.

2,737 Posts
We’ll get it - they’re committed to that. It’s just going to take a wee bit longer…

1 - 17 of 350 Posts