Volkswagen ID Forum banner
181 - 200 of 275 Posts

·
21 Pro S Gradient RWD Glacier / Black
755 Posts
Virtualization basically allows multiple different things to run at the same time on the same hardware. It is a very efficient usage of resources, capacity and investment, make sense to use it. However, the hardware need to be powerful enough to do all these things, also to accommodate virtualization overhead. If we are getting sluggish and slow infotainment performance... we know where the problem might be...... :confused:

·
242 Posts
Virtualization basically allows multiple different things to run at the same time on the same hardware. It is a very efficient usage of resources, capacity and investment, make sense to use it. However, the hardware need to be powerful enough to do all these things, also to accommodate virtualization overhead. If we are getting sluggish and slow infotainment performance... we know where the problem might be...... :confused:
You don’t need virtualization to do that, but virtualization does provide isolation and a well controlled environment. So stuff in different containers can’t interfere with each other. Meaning a crash in the infotainment software shouldn’t be able to also take out the instrument cluster, or something more critical that happens to be running on the same bit of hardware. It also means that the software for the cluster, and the software for the infotainment system can more easily be tuned specifically for what it needs rather than what they both need, at the cost of using more memory and storage.

Not sure virtualization would be the cause of sluggishness though. The overhead isn’t high enough to account for what I’ve seen on the 2021. There is overhead, yes, but it’s generally accounted for in the hardware selection. Graphics can be tricky in VMs, but mostly when dealing with software written for one platform being virtualized on another (i.e. lack of drivers, lack of direct hardware access). In the case of the ID.4, the VM that runs the infotainment display for example should have full access to hardware required to get good display performance.

Also, with folks seemingly root causing a good chunk of the lag to the maps tile in the home screen, and newer software doing much better in terms of lag as well, and it does seem to be more a common performance bug than an architectural problem.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
2,392 Posts
anybody received ETA for this service? We have an annual maintenance due and want to take care of this at the same time. But service advisor (at a very high volume dealer) said she had no idea about the update and 12v campaign and had never heard about it.
Nothing as of yet. They said they are planning to begin this process by the end of the year, but that still leaves them a lot of wiggle room. Realistically I wouldn't expect many cars to be updated until Q1 2023. There are other bits that need to fall into place - they need to line up and distribute the 12V batteries, the dealer techs will need to have completed the required training, and the internet service at the dealership may need to be upgraded to better support giant downloads. And those are just the things off the top of my head.

It is likely that at some point you will see a service campaign appear for the vehicle related to this work. This hasn't happened yet however. It could happen tomorrow - it could be many weeks from now.

I would note that the 3.0 rollout in Europe has been quite slow - numbers of people have the 2.4 update now, but they are taking the next stage quite slowly. Nobody in Europe with older cars has 3.1 yet.

·
21 Pro S Gradient RWD Glacier / Black
755 Posts
You don’t need virtualization to do that, but virtualization does provide isolation and a well controlled environment. So stuff in different containers can’t interfere with each other. Meaning a crash in the infotainment software shouldn’t be able to also take out the instrument cluster, or something more critical that happens to be running on the same bit of hardware. It also means that the software for the cluster, and the software for the infotainment system can more easily be tuned specifically for what it needs rather than what they both need, at the cost of using more memory and storage.

Not sure virtualization would be the cause of sluggishness though. The overhead isn’t high enough to account for what I’ve seen on the 2021. There is overhead, yes, but it’s generally accounted for in the hardware selection. Graphics can be tricky in VMs, but mostly when dealing with software written for one platform being virtualized on another (i.e. lack of drivers, lack of direct hardware access). In the case of the ID.4, the VM that runs the infotainment display for example should have full access to hardware required to get good display performance.

Also, with folks seemingly root causing a good chunk of the lag to the maps tile in the home screen, and newer software doing much better in terms of lag as well, and it does seem to be more a common performance bug than an architectural problem.
I try not to be too technical the audience are not all computer engineers... yes, there is "multitasking" as well :whistle: but most ppl probably don't care about that detail. I don't think we really know any of the details (unless you work for VW maybe??). We do not really know why software 2.1 is sluggish. I heard some ppl (in Europe?) say their 2021 infotainment is better after update, so maybe it is just software issue. We also know 2022 infotainment works better already but it has different hardware version. We will see I guess.... 🤞

·
1,936 Posts
Fun! I looked into a job after college in that business, but ultimately ended up working for the military as a Federal employee for over a decade before moving on to the commercial sector in a completely different field (leisure/hospitality/entertainment). Same problems in several cases from an IT persepective, obviously much different customer bases. LOL

Well, I actually do have some experience writing software for systems you can’t easily touch - my first software job title was “Satellite Systems Engineer” 😉 if we made a bad enough mistake, someone was going up on the Space Shuttle to do the software install. Fortunately that never happened!

·
1,936 Posts
My assumption has been that the issue is in multiple places.

On the RTOS/car computer side, I think the processor is probably 'fast enough' to handle what's being asked on the computation side generally. I think it's just poor optimization of their state tables and some models in the software for things like the wonky lights, the charger lock only respecting a press on the key vs other mean, etc. etc.

On the infotainment side, I think there seems to be a lack of optimization in the graphics subsystem. Whether that's a driver problem or a lack of graphics compute, as you mention @ddx I don't think any of us can say. There are certainly ways to optimize them and it does appear they are doing that. How far that will get us, I don't know either.

The radio, screen display, etc. are all things that can updated of course in the infotainment side.

·
1,363 Posts
Nothing as of yet. They said they are planning to begin this process by the end of the year, but that still leaves them a lot of wiggle room. Realistically I wouldn't expect many cars to be updated until Q1 2023. There are other bits that need to fall into place - they need to line up and distribute the 12V batteries, the dealer techs will need to have completed the required training, and the internet service at the dealership may need to be upgraded to better support giant downloads. And those are just the things off the top of my head.

It is likely that at some point you will see a service campaign appear for the vehicle related to this work. This hasn't happened yet however. It could happen tomorrow - it could be many weeks from now.

I would note that the 3.0 rollout in Europe has been quite slow - numbers of people have the 2.4 update now, but they are taking the next stage quite slowly. Nobody in Europe with older cars has 3.1 yet.
This is now what the next step is in Europe.
Last week the members of the VW ID Drivers Club all over Europe could apply to become Beta tester for the new modified OTA update.
The first group to receive the update in Germany, including Cris from Battery Life, was not without problems.
There were 3800 candidates including myself of which 1000 are now selected to test as many different types of battery and options as possible on the update.
The German owners where the first update went wrong now also get the modified version.
we also have a guarantee that if the vehicle crashes it will be towed to the dealer free of charge.😆
The 2.4 update is still sometimes difficult in some countries due to a temporary shortage of 12V batteries.🤨

·
1,936 Posts
Sounds like you were not one of the 1k selected to particpate? If so, that's too bad as would love to have heard your experience.

If you are, then hope you share!

Last week the members of the VW ID Drivers Club all over Europe could apply to become Beta tester for the new modified OTA update.
The first group to receive the update in Germany, including Cris from Battery Life, was not without problems.
There were 3800 candidates including myself of which 1000 are now selected to test as many different types of battery and options as possible on the update.
The German owners where the first update went wrong now also get the modified version.
we also have a guarantee that if the vehicle crashes it will be towed to the dealer free of charge.😆
The 2.4 update is still sometimes difficult in some countries due to a temporary shortage of 12V batteries.🤨

·
Premium Member
2,392 Posts
The US market is in a sense easier in that there is only one battery size, and I think that for the purposes of the update, all 1st edition cars were nearly identical. No HUD, no 360 camera.

·
4 Posts
Yeah, I know they offered that to some folks as well like Chris at Battery Life, but he insisted he wanted to wait and do it the same as everyone else as an OTA.

If they do all that though i could see why they'd want to reserve the car for 2 days given that 2.4 takes 6-8 hours apparently all by itself.
I've just been called by VW Dealership and 2.4 has been stopped and 3.0 updates are suspended for OTA because of other problems

·
Premium Member
2,392 Posts
Nope. And I don't expectt we will until later this year. The e-mail is a step in the right direction for VWoA in actually communicating. But this is a part of the company that has been completely mum despite much higher engagement in Europe. So don't expect much.
While communication has been better in Europe, people there are still complaining about poor communications.

181 - 200 of 275 Posts