Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2021 FE Mythos Black
3,239 Posts
I have the same EXACT car but 2022. You are not missing anything without the 3.1 software. None of those additional features work well enough to covet the 3.1 software.

I’ve compared the charging curves between the 2021 and the 2022 model years, and the 2021 charges about 10 kW faster above about 40% SOC. Yes, the 2022 can charge at 170+ kW but only under 25%. At 25% SOC, the charging speed goes to 150 kW, and by 30% SOC, the 2021 and the 2022 charge at the same speed. Anything above 45% SOC, and the 2021 charges more quickly. All in all, if you were to go from 10% to 80% SOC, I would guess the time you would spend to charge is about the same between the 2021 and the 2022. With the scarce DC charging infrastructure, I personally don’t feel comfortable riding the 10% to 60% SOC range. Instead, I ride 20+% to 100%, in which case it would take the same time to charge your car as mine or, your car would charge even faster.

I just came from a 550-mile trip from a northern Atlanta suburb to Huntsville, AL, and it was not a pretty picture with what I had to go through vis-à-vis charging. My wife is pissed (this is our third long road trip in the ID.4 in 7 weeks). We have two EVs now and no ICEV. She is demanding we trade in one of our EVs for an ICE SUV. Yes, it’s that bad. For around town, the ID.4 is a great vehicle. For road trips, not so much. The three deficiencies are: scarcity of the CCS charging infrastructure (not specific to the ID.4), short range of the ID.4, and slow charging speeds.

The two axioms with the EV travel that everyone pushes are completely wrong IMO when it comes to non-Tesla-EV long-distance travel:
1. Ride the lower half of the battery SOC. In theory, this makes sense. In todays’s reality, this doesn’t get you far off major interstates.
2. Never charge to 100%. After the first one and a half trips, I found that you should ALWAYS charge the ID.4 to 100% when leaving for a long road trip or while on a long road trip. The extra 25 minutes that you spend charging from 80% to 100% will save your bacon multiple times if you are venturing away from major highways.

My last two trips were to Orlando and to Huntsville. Orlando only had one DC charger with 6 stalls (this is Orlando, for crying out loud). We wasted 6 hours over the course of a three-day weekend just driving to the DC charger in Orlando, waiting in line, and getting a charge). We also put an extra 150 miles on the ID.4 while doing this. Huntsville has exactly ZERO DC chargers. The closest DC charger to Huntsville is 35 miles away in Athens, AL. That’s a 70-miles round-trip (in the wrong direction) and two hours of wasted time just to get a charge so that you can drive back to Atlanta.

Traveling in the ID.4 is akin intentionally complicating one’s life. With the current state of DC charging, the EV should have at a minimum 350 miles worth of real range. The range of 450 miles would make the EV travel feasible and similar to the ICEV travel. At 260 miles, the ID.4 is not a viable long road trip vehicle in the US or Canada. If you are retired and time is not an issue, the ID.4 can get you into most places in populated areas (but it may take twice as long as an ICEV). But, if you value time, the ID.4 is not a road trip vehicle you would want to use.

At this time, long road trip EV travel in the US and Canada means either Tesla (due to the Supercharger network) or Lucid (due to its long battery range). Every other EV on the market today is not a viable long road trip vehicle for people with jobs.
I originally purchased this car thinking it would be my road trip car, mainly for my yearly snowbird trip to Florida. After some issues on a 400+ mile trip to my son's house in Pittsburg, and some months later realizing I didn't want the inconvenience of charging, I changed my plans.
I know many folks road trip this car and I give them credit. I still think this is a great vehicle and my wife loves it and uses it for her 70 mile RT commute. At one point I thought I might be taking the ID.4 to Florida this year because of increased charging speed with the update, (Ha, if it ever comes) and a more mature EA network, but I've realized the ice car is a better option for me. I'll wave to you guys charging at Sheetz while I'm gassing up!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts