Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
1,781 Posts
It's interesting to see a different perspective on the Orlando area, as I live there. Personally, never had an issue getting a charger when I needed one, granted as mentioned many of them are EVGo or Shell Recharge 50kW units. The other large mall vs Florida Mall is Mall at Millennia, and they have several ChargePoint units that are ~7kw. There is also an EA station just south of town on I4 at Love's truck stop. I've used it a few times and never have I seen anyone else there. I don't frequent Florida Mall, so can't attest to the busy-ness of that one. Tesla does have better penetration in this area for charger footprint, so I guess we can hope they switch to their open network soon.

All of the Florida Turnpike rest stops also now have charging stations for both brands. The downside is the CCS ones have different companies as you traverse, so takes multiple apps to go from one end to the other. But on Sunday evenings the Tesla ones can be packed with lines.

Florida is a state these days in deep denial/split personality, typical of the rest of the country (not trying to get into politics, just stating facts)... there is a fast growing population of folks in the cities and on the 'tech belt' across the middle of the state that are going EV at a higher rate. But the rest of the state, largely rural like where I grew up in Missouri and Iowa, aren't interested... in the cars or in funding infrastructure to build out charging stations. I'll leave it at that.

The same chicken and egg problem as many other places.

·
1,781 Posts
Yeah, Florida is very odd, and maybe somewhat unique that way. Unlike say Missouri where my dad lives where outside of St Louis and Kansas City, the rest of the state is largely rural and even hilly towards the south,etc. where an EV is an obviously harder sell. Florida is warm, largely flat, and while there are plenty of politicial issues with the power companies in this state, they turn our largely reliable electricity from a variety of resources. You'd think given that, we'd be more in the vanguard... but politics trumps practicality.

Florida is quite interesting in that regard because it is prime climate for EV's where they don't have to worry about cold temp range hit. Yeah they have the heat to contend with but air conditioning does not slam the range anywhere near what the resistance heater does.

·
1,781 Posts
I'd love an id.3 as a second car. We've been looking at the Bolt as an alternative when the time comes to go back to 2 cars (have an up-and-coming driver). Though the seats in the Bolt still get middling results, which is disappointing.

I personally don't have any of the limitations that @truthseeker posted. We've so far seen no limitations for us in the way we use the car. Do we have to stop and charge a bit more often than gas and wait longer when we do? Yes. Does it matter to us? 230 miles of highway range in the AWD we have is 3 hours of saddle time. I used to be able to go 5 or more without a stop, but at 50 that's no longer in the cards. I do admit that the destination charging issue would be a bigger impact if we road tripped more possibly, but so far when we have we've just planned those stops into our adventure.

I guess it's what you make of it, and educate yourself on what to expect so you can make an informed choice. Charging does seem to be getting better, whether that's fast enough for current 'on the fence' buyers is a different story.

·
1,781 Posts
It's true that if you travel in this area a lot, that there are not a lot of choices for DC fast charging (50kW or higher):

Map World Atlas Pattern Circle

I don't necessarrily find it true in looking at PlugShare that there aren't destination chargers at hotels available in the same area, but they may not be at a hotel you like or a preferred chain.

Rectangle Grass Pattern Terrestrial plant Font

Look and plan accordingly, and if you have to travel long distances in the middle of the country regularly or you frequent sparsely populated areas, then an EV might not be for you. You can also carry a 120/240 charger and stop at most campgrounds to see if they will let you charge using one of their RV hookups as well. None of it is optimal, but you can make it work if it's important to you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts