Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
2021 ID.4 Pro, Glacier White
1,240 Posts
For around town, the ID.4 is a great vehicle. For road trips, not so much. The three deficiencies are: scarcity of the CCS charging infrastructure (not specific to the ID.4), short range of the ID.4, and slow charging speeds.
IMO, the ID.4 is more aimed at attempting to be a good road trip car and for me, that makes it much less of a good around town car. It's too big, it's too heavy and both affect it's efficiency. Smaller and lighter, easier to park, better visibility are all keys to a great around town car. When you lean the windshield back so far that you must have larger A pillars to support the roof, visibility suffers - If the ID.4 isn't a good road trip car, I would suggest buying something else - Something smaller, lighter, easier to park, easier to get into and out of and easier to see out of

I've been driving a Mitsubishi iMiEV around town now for more than 10 years and it's still my every day driver - My ID.4 is reserved for longer trips. The Mitsu only has a 16 Kw battery so its very light by comparison, smaller all around, easier to park, much better visibility and it's the easiest car for ingress and egress this old man has ever driven and around town cars are frequently gotten into and out of many times. It's like a mini cargo truck - With the back seats folded flat, you can get a standard sized washer or dryer in the back and still close the hatch and it's not a tall lift to do so

You pick your poison, IMO - If you need (or want) 200 plus mile range, you give up much of what makes a car a good urban vehicle. Few cars can do an excellent job of both. For that reason (and a couple others) I'll be keeping both my urban car and my road trip car . . . . and, I have a gas powered Ford Transit Connect which does everything neither of my EV's can do 🤣

·
2021 ID.4 Pro, Glacier White
1,240 Posts
I disagree 100%. If you call the ID.4 too big a vehicle, we won’t be able to agree on much.
It's a good size for a road trip car (but I would still have bought the ID.3 if it was sold here) I just said it's too big and too heavy to be a good around town commuter car. Smaller, lighter, more nimble and easier to park are all traits of a great commuter car

1 - 2 of 2 Posts