Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2021 ID.4 Pro S AWD w/Gradient - Kings Red
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had my CPO 2021 ID.4 AWD Pro S for 8 days now and have put on ~120 miles so have had some time to get a hang of things. Here are some observations thus far.

Pros:
- Power is incredible. Just like my E-Golf the lack of ICE noise makes it feel slower than it is and its far to easy to speed in this bad boy.

- Comfortable as heck. VW has always done seats and ergonomics well, I didn't have to fuss around too much with seats, mirrors and steering wheel position to get myself comfortable.

- Handling (see con as well). For how heavy this thing is it handles quite well and drives smaller than its weight and size would suggest.

- Styling. I'm not a fan of 'look at me styling' so just like my E-Golf I like to fly under the radar. The ID.4 follows typical VW styling where it will still look good in 10-15 years or even longer down the road. Good comparison is look at how the 1999-2004 Jetta still appears relatively modern.

Cons:
- Software. Have not had any real issues but would like some of the features of the 3.1 software like the consumption display on the instrument cluster. How this was excluded from the get go is beyond me.

- Heavy heavy handling. Per handling pro above, while it handles well it still shows its weight. The truffle shuffle after coming to a stop is not very VW. During braking I'm used to just the squat going back up and stopping - the ID.4 jiggles around a bit after the squat rebounds.

- Headlight controls. My commute to work is in lighting on the cusp of auto lights kicking on, my E-Golf I would be able to switch the lights straight off so they wouldn't be turning on/off a dozen plus times in a 15 minute drive. Learned you can't do this in the ID.4 - if you turn them "off" as soon as you accelerate they just flip back to auto so my commute consists of my lights popping on and off every minute or two. Would love off to be a true off.

- Efficiency. I miss the 4.1-4.2 mi/KWH of my E-Golf. For that car being designed for EV/ICE/Hybrid it was efficient as heck. I'm kind of surprised this purpose built EV is ~25% less efficient.

Overall:

-
I am still pleased as punch. My E-Golf was my testing of the waters and that car was probably one of the best I have ever owned. My ownership experience with the E-Golf made my ok with going all in on the ID.4. Look forward to 4-5 years of motoring with my 2021.

Car Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Tire

·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Truthseeker. Fortunately road trips are not really in the cards for me, not because of my choice of an EV but mainly because I abhor sitting behind the wheel for anything longer than 2ish hours. Anything that is longer than a 2-3 hour drive I am booking a flight on Delta mainly because living in Atlanta I have non-stop connectivity to pretty much anywhere I want or need to go. I will say I might need to make a trip to St. Marys, GA (~300 miles) to pick up a family heirloom chest and looking at A Better Route Planner its kind of grim as there is one Electrify America station in Cordele, GA along the route, if anything goes wrong there I am going to be having to seek out alternatives that may not be a fast charger.

·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hate driving, but even more so, I hate driving to the Atlanta airport, parking, taking a shuttle, getting through security, being shoved in coach, sitting like a sardine in a can for hours, RENTING A CAR, and so on.

My suggestion for the road trip. Always charge to 100%.
I have CLEAR (highly recommend for ATL - I can make it from Delta check in to T gates in under 10 mins), have not had too much issue with Peachy parking for domestic and their indoor EV rates are quite reasonable. If you fly international the airport garage there rivals off site pricing but EV charging spaces are typically full.

Side note since you are in ATL. Jim Ellis VW Chamblee on P'Tree Industrial has always been fantastic for us on service and sales side, they are actually building an entirely new store that per my sales guy is going to be the premier VW dealer in North America. Its a multi-story affair going up where I think Mazda dealer was between them and Maserati - looks like its going to be quite fancy for a VW store.

·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's interesting to see a different perspective on the Orlando area, as I live there. Personally, never had an issue getting a charger when I needed one, granted as mentioned many of them are EVGo or Shell Recharge 50kW units. The other large mall vs Florida Mall is Mall at Millennia, and they have several ChargePoint units that are ~7kw. There is also an EA station just south of town on I4 at Love's truck stop. I've used it a few times and never have I seen anyone else there. I don't frequent Florida Mall, so can't attest to the busy-ness of that one. Tesla does have better penetration in this area for charger footprint, so I guess we can hope they switch to their open network soon.

All of the Florida Turnpike rest stops also now have charging stations for both brands. The downside is the CCS ones have different companies as you traverse, so takes multiple apps to go from one end to the other. But on Sunday evenings the Tesla ones can be packed with lines.

Florida is a state these days in deep denial/split personality, typical of the rest of the country (not trying to get into politics, just stating facts)... there is a fast growing population of folks in the cities and on the 'tech belt' across the middle of the state that are going EV at a higher rate. But the rest of the state, largely rural like where I grew up in Missouri and Iowa, aren't interested... in the cars or in funding infrastructure to build out charging stations. I'll leave it at that.

The same chicken and egg problem as many other places.
Florida is quite interesting in that regard because it is prime climate for EV's where they don't have to worry about cold temp range hit. Yeah they have the heat to contend with but air conditioning does not slam the range anywhere near what the resistance heater does.

Like you not talking politics but it's very ironic when the folks who scream about energy independence and not sending $$$ for foreign oil also then complain about EV's whose energy clearly cannot cross oceans. It's the most domestic thing ever to charge at home - yeah power companies can suck in certain areas but that $$$ your are spending is very regional.

·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
It's a good size for a road trip car (but I would still have bought the ID.3 if it was sold here) I just said it's too big and too heavy to be a good around town commuter car. Smaller, lighter, more nimble and easier to park are all traits of a great commuter car
I would have much preferred an ID.3 vs the ID.4 but we are the minority in the states. I really think VW would have done ok sales with ID.3 here but I guess the tea leaves did not align correctly for that to happen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts