Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As well as an ID4 FE I have a TDI Touareg that also allows opening the trunk by using your foot. A trick I learned was that instead of waving your foot underneath, it is a lot easier to swipe your foot front to back just to the right of the tow hitch. I have 100% success with this.

On the ID4 it works well when you swipe front to back just to the LEFT of the hitch. Hope this helps someone!

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD
764 Posts
My old car had the foot sensor and I could get it to open about 25% of the time. My (at the time) 4-y.o. son could get it open every time - hopefully he still remembers how to open it once we get the ID.4.

Reactions: tommyb

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
4,684 Posts
Your son likely has a much lower center of gravity. :ROFLMAO:

In shopping centers it's worked for me flawlessly. However in my garage I park too close to the overhead door so can't step back enough which is also necessary.

My old car had the foot sensor and I could get it to open about 25% of the time. My (at the time) 4-y.o. son could get it open every time - hopefully he still remembers how to open it once we get the ID.4.

·
39 Posts
This feature seems to only work when opening the hatch. On my E-Class, waving a foot can both open and close the trunk, which I find handy. When I do the same on the ID.4, it just beeps at me intermittently.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
1,995 Posts
This feature seems to only work when opening the hatch. On my E-Class, waving a foot can both open and close the trunk, which I find handy. When I do the same on the ID.4, it just beeps at me intermittently.
It works for both, but you really need to wave your foot and then step back (to make room for it to close - otherwise it would bonk you on the head).

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
4,684 Posts
Just to the left/under of my hitch rather works for me, provided I remember to quickly step back to avoid the proximity safety nanny.
I just kick the plastic panel underneath and it works. Right of the hitch.
This tip works for me! I used to aim at the center below the hitch and there were more misses than hits. By following this tip, the tailgate opens about 95% of the time. ;)

·
12 Posts
Just to the left/under of my hitch rather works for me, provided I remember to quickly step back to avoid the proximity safety nanny.
There's a safety nanny? Good to know. My wife's X3, which is the vehicle the iD.4 will replace, does not have a safety nanny. You kick under the bumper and if you keep standing there, the door will hit you. Not hard, but it could knock you off balance. It will sense that it hit something and stop, but I think I would prefer the nanny not let it open at all. I say that, because I have been back there washing the vehicle and if the key is in my pocket and I make a motion under the bumper to trigger the door, it will open when I don't want it to and I have to dodge it.

Reactions: Huey52

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
4,684 Posts
"Step back Daniel. Step Back" -Karate Kid II (yes, I have far too many movie/tv script lines in my noggin' 🤪
There's a safety nanny? Good to know. My wife's X3, which is the vehicle the iD.4 will replace, does not have a safety nanny. You kick under the bumper and if you keep standing there, the door will hit you. Not hard, but it could knock you off balance. It will sense that it hit something and stop, but I think I would prefer the nanny not let it open at all. I say that, because I have been back there washing the vehicle and if the key is in my pocket and I make a motion under the bumper to trigger the door, it will open when I don't want it to and I have to dodge it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts