Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
First Edition Glacier White
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a thought for my white FE. Wondering if anyone has changed the orange side marker plastic cover to a clear one (is one even available) and use an orange bulb. I’m thinking this on any color will minimize the orange look.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,076 Posts
Do you mean the orange "reflector" on the fender? It's not illuminated but just a typical USA-DOT historical reflector.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire
We do have illuminated "side markers" as part of the headlight assembly.

Other discussions on this site regarding replacing the reflector with a color-matched piece.
Note that in Britain they don't require/have the reflector but rather color-matched.

·
First Edition Glacier White
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. My bad. I realized that after my post

·
2 Posts
I bought these covers to get rid of the hideous orange color.

·
2021 VW ID.4 FE
157 Posts
I bought these covers to get rid of the hideous orange color.

How do you plan to resolve the DOT requirement to have orange front side markers?

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,076 Posts
We actually have illuminated orange side markers in our headlight modules.

It’s the archaic fender side reflector requirement that’s being, well, ignored. 😉

In DOT-fairness there's still a need for ol' school inert reflectors if say a vehicle is parked on a roadway with its lights off.

btw: please try to use the proper terminology so as not to confuse readers.
How do you plan to resolve the DOT requirement to have orange front side markers [properly reflectors]?

·
7 Posts
I just wrapped the side reflectors with black vinyl wrap. Simple enough. Super cheap and all you gotta do is cut a piece bigger than the side marker, put it over and push down to see the outline and cut with a razor. Used a wrap tucker to do the edges and voila! No more hideous orange side reflectors. Literally took me 5 min on each side
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Wheel Tire

·
ID.4 AWD Pro S, Scale Silver
94 Posts
I agree, aesthetically, the orange side reflectors aren't my favorite but I won't be wrapping them. They're a DOT safety requirement and are there to improve side visibility for oncoming cars.

·
2021 VW ID4 FE
56 Posts
I agree, aesthetically, the orange side reflectors aren't my favorite but I won't be wrapping them. They're a DOT safety requirement and are there to improve side visibility for oncoming cars.
Not required in European models, questionable effectiveness of this DOT safety requirement. Very subjective, IMHO not required. Orange Side Reflectors Removal

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,076 Posts
No argument. A DOT safety requirement is just that. It's the only "scofflaw" mod I've ever done in the past, and don't plan to so on my ID.4. One other time I installed a clear cover but also substituted an amber bulb on an illuminated side marker, but that's legal.

At least folks aren't contemplating installing a Cat-less downpipe (my ICE pet peeve). ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts