Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an order for what's currently a '22 ID.4. Since I won't likely get a tax rebate for it anymore, I'm looking to order a '23. The dealer where I have my ID.4 order wants me to order it via the link for orders from their website instead of directly at vw.com. They claim that it might get to me faster that way. Seems highly unlikely.

Anyone know anything about the pros and cons of ordering directly from vw.com or the link to it from the dealer site?

·
419 Posts
I don't have a definitive answer. But I'm guessing that link will auto-populate the dealer name while ordering. So it should still link to vw.com. They don't want you to see a list of other dealers.

·
Super Moderator
5,623 Posts
Wow, some dealerships really will say anything. I'd go with the main VW site to order and then designate a delivery dealership (and possibly not your current one given ....).

Then again @Plant Peon may have a "connection" to this "say anything" dealership and that may help speed MY2023 delivery. 💰🤪
I have an order for what's currently a '22 ID.4. Since I won't likely get a tax rebate for it anymore, I'm looking to order a '23. The dealer where I have my ID.4 order wants me to order it via the link for orders from their website instead of directly at vw.com. They claim that it might get to me faster that way. Seems highly unlikely.

Anyone know anything about the pros and cons of ordering directly from vw.com or the link to it from the dealer site?

·
Proud FE owner
1,274 Posts
I don't think VW's site is sophisticated enough to do anything on the backend. For science, I clicked through the link on my preferred dealer's site. It went to the vw.com ID.4 order page. When it came to selected my preferred dealer, it created a list with a list another dealer at top.

·
ID.4 AWD Pro S red res. 7/31/22 locked 9/20/22 delivered 10/22/22
185 Posts

I ordered my 2023 from my dealer's website and got an early lock and the car is 35-1 now railroad. The dealer website connected to the main VW website to fill in the order. I don't think it makes any difference.

·
119 Posts
I ordered my 2023 from my dealer's website and got an early lock and the car is 35-1 now railroad. The dealer website connected to the main VW website to fill in the order. I don't think it makes any difference.
So ordering from dealer or vw doesn’t have any difference? My dealer claims to have vip access to ordering before it opens up for public.

·
185 Posts
So ordering from dealer or vw doesn’t have any difference? My dealer claims to have vip access to ordering before it opens up for public.
Maybe orders from certain dealers websites are expedited??
probably not but who knows?
mine seemed to get locked and produced extremely fast.

·
185 Posts
VW website says the final pricing will be up to the dealer. And all the dealers in my area have mark ups I think.
How do you guys buy at MSRP?
I am in the Portland metro area.
Dealers may have mark ups on cars on the lot but not have mark ups on reservations though VW.com. You have to check each one and get an email from them that they won’t add markups or dealer add ons and just sell at MSRP plus destination plus doc fee, tax licens.

·
185 Posts
That's remarkably fast. I ordered a '22 last December. It locked a couple of months ago and nothing has happened since. I ordered a '23 a couple months ago and it locked about a month or a little more later. Nothing since. I'm not alone.
Yes, its remarkably fast. VW obviously does not go in FIFO order. Solution to a black box system is to put in multiple orders for multiple cars at multiple dealers. We also have 2 mach-e's on order in case VW completely drops the ball like Toyota has. This method will tie up a couple K$ in deposits.

·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, its remarkably fast. VW obviously does not go in FIFO order. Solution to a black box system is to put in multiple orders for multiple cars at multiple dealers. We also have 2 mach-e's on order in case VW completely drops the ball like Toyota has. This method will tie up a couple K$ in deposits.
I was going to order a Mach-E when I first ordered an ID.4 last December. But I didn't for various minor reasons. A mistake. I'd probably have it by now. Who knows. Maybe it's a better car anyway. Hard to know.

·
185 Posts
I was going to order a Mach-E when I first ordered an ID.4 last December. But I didn't for various minor reasons. A mistake. I'd probably have it by now. Who knows. Maybe it's a better car anyway. Hard to know.
We had a chance to get an ev6 for 5k over MSRP several months ago that would have been eligible for all rebates. Since then it lost the 7500 federal tax credit and the $750 dealer and a 2k$ local utility rebate have both run out of funding here in CA.

·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We had a chance to get an ev6 for 5k over MSRP several months ago that would have been eligible for all rebates. Since then it lost the 7500 federal tax credit and the $750 dealer and a 2k$ local utility rebate have both run out of funding here in CA.
I'm in Northern CA, too. The tax credit loss is a big hit. I'm not even 100% sure I'll take the ID.4 once it shows up, if it ever does. Maybe with the lost incentives and increasing availability of EVs, prices will come of the dealer markups, anyway. I haven't ever spoken directly with an EV6 or Ioniq 5 owner. When I see someone getting into or out of an EV that interests me, I often ask them how it's been for them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts