Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
ID.4 1st Edition Glacier White
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Our dealership, Low Country VW in Mount Pleasant, SC took inventory of their ID.4 demo yesterday. Here are the initial pictures.

Limited Info I could Glean:
  • I could not drive or start this vehicle to check firmware level. They had not even done dealer prep and were awaiting someone from VW to come out and help them set it up.
  • The car is incredibly well made. I saw no flaws at all in the paint, panel gaps, interior or anything else.
  • There is a huge amount of room in this car. I am 6’8” and I had to move the front seat up because it was almost too big. The seats will lower almost to the floor. Have never had a car that the seats could go this low.
  • With the drivers seat in the position I feel comfortable driving in, I could sit in the back seat behind my drivers seat. My head did touch the shade, but with it open, I can fit.
  • The seats are VERY comfortable. Maybe I just am so accustomed to my 2020 Chevy Bolt, but the seats were very soft and plush for leatherette.
  • Everything was solid. Just the closing of the doors felt like this was a much more expensive car.
  • The door unlock is very natural and worked really well.
  • Screens that I could see were much higher resolution than I am accustomed to in a car. They felt like iPad pro screens.
  • Cargo space feels massive. My wife put the false floor down and it is plenty big for our rather large golden doodle.
  • Trailer hitch connection points are all behind cladding with a factory cut hole in the bottom of the bumper where the receiver pokes out. Venturing a guess that we will be able to add the hitch to the RWD model since it is essentially the same as the 1st edition. I did not see a trailer hitch wiring loom for a brake controller, but did not fish around either.
  • Key has good heft and feels substantial.
  • Drivers display feels like it is always in the right position and I am surprised that having it tied to the hight of the steering wheel actually makes sense in person.
  • It has a front license plate bracket which I found odd since this was a car for a state that does not require one. VW hotline managers are saying all cars will come with one, pre-drilled. I have doubts if that is true, rather I hope it is not.
  • Engine bay does have enough space for a small frunk, and is laid out a little strange. Personally I don’t care as I have no use for a frunk.
  • I ordered the black interior fearing that the white would stain too much. IDK what it is but the white feels fairly robust and a little more very light grey in color. I think this is going to hold up better than I thought. That being said, I still love the black/brown leatherette.
  • This is going to sell like mad when it gets out IMO. It is in a different class than Tesla’s so futile to compare, however the fit and finish is 10x that of just about every Tesla I have seen, so it has that going for it. It is a very handsome car and is one that will have people asking what you are driving.
  • I did not remember to take a picture of the window sticker but am going back in a few days to test drive and will do so then. Will also get software version numbers and inquire if they updated to 2.1 or if it was done at the docks.

·
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Going to do the write-up after work, but one thing I am getting clarification from VW on is the front license plate bracket. We are in a no-front license plate state, so I was a little surprised to see one predrilled. I asked the dealer and they said it came this way.

EDIT: I got clarification from VW management, all US ID.4's are going to be shipped with front license plate brackets regardless of whether your state requires a front plate or not. I am hoping that this is not necessarily true and the dealers handle installation which is the case with all VW’s down here. If true it just means I will grab an EU one and put a nice DE license plate from the area my family comes from. Not a deal breaker as this is a beauty of a car!

·
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
404 Posts
I will be royally pissed if my AWD Pro S shows up with a front plate bracket installed. I’m in PA and we don’t have front plates. Every VW I’m bought (more than 10) has not had a front plate bracket.

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
442 Posts
Going to do the write-up after work, but one thing I am getting clarification from VW on is the front license plate bracket. We are in a no-front license plate state, so I was a little surprised to see one predrilled. I asked the dealer and they said it came this way.

EDIT: I got clarification from VW management, all US ID.4's are going to be shipped with front license plate brackets regardless of whether your state requires a front plate or not. I am hoping that this is not necessarily true and the dealers handle installation which is the case with all VW’s down here. If true it just means I will grab an EU one and put a nice DE license plate from the area my family comes from. Not a deal breaker as this is a beauty of a car!
Damn, I was hoping I could request my dealer to not drill holes for a front bracket, but sounds like I won't have a choice :(

·
837 Posts
A little bondo, some careful sanding and some touch-up paint and you will never know they were there.

Reactions: TimD

·
Proud FE owner
1,197 Posts
Bumper plugs? Don't see the ID.4 colors, but maybe the are coming. Hopefully there aren't six holes like the Jetta GLI they use as an example...

·
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bumper plugs? Don't see the ID.4 colors, but maybe the are coming. Hopefully there aren't six holes like the Jetta GLI they use as an example...

Nope, just 4..

·
438 Posts
Where are the holes in this bracket for the actual license plate screws? I see no screw bosses that align with the 4 holes that would mount the plate as shown in the 2nd photo below.

·
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where are the holes in this bracket for the actual license plate screws? I see no screw bosses that align with the 4 holes that would mount the plate as shown in the 2nd photo below.

View attachment 1737
View attachment 1738
Nope, in VW fashion, you end up drilling the holes for the plate into the plastic license plate holder. It has been this way with every VW I have owned, almost 8 at this point.

·
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 09/29/2020
48 Posts
I will be royally pissed if my AWD Pro S shows up with a front plate bracket installed. I’m in PA and we don’t have front plates. Every VW I’m bought (more than 10) has not had a front plate bracket.
Same here and I contacted VW and got this today :

Hello, Marc. Thank you so much for taking the time to reach out to us here, and thank you so much for driving with us through the years. Congratulations on your ID.4 reservation! I can't wait for you to get behind the wheel, however, I do see your concern with the front plate holes.

I appreciate you for sending your info over, I was able to pull you up in our system. And after taking a deeper look, I was able to get more information.

While we cannot make changes or edits to the assembly process, we aware of this concerns and will note them for review. I can't guarantee that this is something we can change, but I'm glad we were able to document this now. Was there anything else I could look into while we're speaking here today?

John C.

VW Social Media Advocate

By sending us your info, you authorize Volkswagen and our dealers to contact you with marketing information. See Privacy for details.

·
48 Posts
I suggest everyone who has a PRE ORDER and the car has not been shipped send a message on FACEBOOK TO VOLKSWAGEN - tell them about your concern with the holes - I would hate it - they did that to our 2008 R32 BUT they exchanged the whole front grill for free - they did a whole exchange out of it and we could even keep the one with the plate mounted on - I don't see that happen with the ID 4 since it would be hole bumper but who knows.

·
404 Posts
I suggest everyone who has a PRE ORDER and the car has not been shipped send a message on FACEBOOK TO VOLKSWAGEN - tell them about your concern with the holes - I would hate it - they did that to our 2008 R32 BUT they exchanged the whole front grill for free - they did a whole exchange out of it and we could even keep the one with the plate mounted on - I don't see that happen with the ID 4 since it would be hole bumper but who knows.
I was thinking about my MkV R32. I was so pissed they all had the front plate brackets, but at least the fix was as simple as swapping the grille. The ID.4, not so much.

·
48 Posts
I was thinking about my MkV R32. I was so pissed they all had the front plate brackets, but at least the fix was as simple as swapping the grille. The ID.4, not so much.
Yeah I was happy too when they send me the part for the R32 LOL 😂 hope my email got delivered to Zwickau to the person drilling the holes - just throw the bracket in the trunk for self installation :)

·
404 Posts
Yeah I was happy too when they send me the part for the R32 LOL 😂 hope my email got delivered to Zwickau to the person drilling the holes - just throw the bracket in the trunk for self installation :)
I’m just hoping they rectify this by the time the AWD models start arriving. I’ll message VW every day if I have to.

·
139 Posts
That’s funny. I pissed and moaned about having the front bracket on my R32 and I was in NY at the time which requires a front plate. Didn’t care and got the news grille. That car also got a new engine to which VW gave me a set of wheels and winter tires. 👍🏻

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.