Volkswagen ID Forum banner

Out of Spec Reviews drives the ID.4

4K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  ted99 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I am hoping the AWD ID.4 will give me the quick acceleration I would like, with comfort. I have no interest in the nose bleed acceleration the Tesla's are getting.

Reactions: egsell
#4 ·
Thanks for posting, I was wondering when this would come out. VW has been very strange with the shifting embargoes on what reporters can film about the car.
I like what I hear about ride quality, the quiet cabin, and the spacious interior. For the price, the ID.4 seems unbeatable, though there is a possibility the Ariya will be more competitive than I'm expecting. The Mach-e is a very capable car, but the long range version starts above $50k, and the sales tax exemption in Washington where I live only applies for vehicles under $45k. It is very hard for me to justify spending more than that, on any vehicle, which is why I've not bought a Model Y even though it's probably a better vehicle overall.

He asked for negatives, and I do have a few.
  • The biggest one is the charge port location on the rear passenger side fender. We'll have to change how we park in our driveway in order to charge.
  • Closely following that, I am concerned about the capacitive buttons for everything on the wheel and the dash. Will those work reliably, or with cold fingers?
  • For the first edition, there is that white trim on the steering wheel. That might look dirty and ugly after a short time!
  • There is no way to turn off creep mode. I really hope they add this in software soon.

#5 ·
So on the topic of charge point location; it is something I have also wrestled with and how it affects home charging. But the take way I grab is that it makes street side charging very easy. And at least where I lurk, there are a lot of those.

Reactions: briloop
#9 ·
The charge port location is perfect for me. My garage is pretty tight, the garage door is the only entrance/exit. Having it towards the back makes it much easier. All my EVs have had rear ports (Active E, RAV4).

The Ariya's location on the right front quarter panel would be impossible to charge in my current setup. I'd have to move the charger to the other side of the garage (not trivial). The Leaf/Niro/Kona's front ports would also be inconvenient.

Weird how logistical issues such as charge port location are becoming a factor in car-buying decisions.

#10 ·
In some markets, some EV's have charge ports on both sides. I think the Audi eTron in Europe has this. I wonder if this will become more prevalent as EV market penetration increases. I have two BMW PHEV's now and have to back mine in, while my wife fronts in to accommodate the EVSE on the center pillar between the entrances. Yes, I know not a common location, but it worked best for a two EV situation.

#13 ·
When Land Rover introduced a PHEV version, they put the charge port behind a flap in the grill. I am of the opinion that it was cheaper to make a new plastic grill that a new fender stamping, so that was the path they took. I couldn't think of a worse location. A lot of us have tight fits in the garage for a vehicle as large as a Range Rover and getting to the charge port with a Range Rover pulled all the way in would be a chore for me. Not like the small Nissan, which has it's port in the front.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.