Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can’t park in my garage, and don’t have a carport. Is it safe to have a Type 2 charger outside in the rain? I’m concerned about the charger and the car should water enter the box or the plug.

·
669 Posts
I can’t park in my garage, and don’t have a carport. Is it safe to have a Type 2 charger outside in the rain? I’m concerned about the charger and the car should water enter the box or the plug.
Depends on the wiring to, and the EVSEs outdoor rating. If all are ok for wet locations, I don’t see why it should be an issue. As long as there is no ponding. The EA home ones are rated for outdoor and rain.

·
2021 AWD Pro S
1,760 Posts
If you follow all the codes, yes its safe. Mine is outdoors. The outlet needs to be GFCI protected, with an in-use waterproof cover which are rather large if its a 14-50 socket. Or you can hardwire it. The EVSE needs to be waterproof, and many of them are, like my Goplug. The plug and socket in the car appears to be water resisting, but may be the weakest point for water problems.

·
44 Posts
I bought an outdoor rated charger and had to hardwired (theft may or may not be an issue here, so opted to hedge my bets) and no issues so far. I haven't yet had to charge in the freezing rain that is somewhat common here, but I plan on buying a port cover before next winter.

·
2021 ID.4 Pro S
169 Posts
Thanks, I hadn‘t thought of that.
Glad to help!

Here's the basic setup inside. I used plastic dryer vents and trimmed some holes for the cord in the flaps. Helps keep it more weatherproof for the indoor and outdoor ports in the wall.

Automotive lighting Cyclocomputer Bicycle handlebar Automotive tire Wood

·
Blue ProS RWD is in my garage! Only took 187 days.
664 Posts
If you are really concerned about water at the entrypoint of the car, you could get one of those cloth or plastic covers that folks in the snow country use. I'm sure there are some that are made with water resistant material. They cover the charging handle and the charging door.

·
85 Posts
I've had a chargepoint home flex mounted outside plugged into a weather sealed receptacle since last October. It's been rained and snowed on without issue. I've also charged in these conditions (both my ID4 and wife's Kona EV) without issue.

These things are made to be outside.

·
146 Posts
mine has been rained and snowed on for almost 4 years- still working great.
I do have mine hardwired and also installed a disconnect next to it. Not really needed, but not that much more work. Plus easier to change out charger if it quits or I get something different.

·
157 Posts
Time for a repeat question. This coming Thursday I'm having a ChargePoint Home Flex installed along with a 100 to 200 amp service upgrade. I'm trying to decide whether to mount the ChargePoint in the garage and have the J1772 cord pass through a lockable opening or mount it outside(in the breezeway between the house and garage) with a lockable cover over it. I like what Dan00Hawk has done but would prefer if I could pull it back through and lock the opening when desired. I've seen a picture of a setup where the charger is enclosed in what looks like a garden hose hanger(did not find it in my searches.) On Reddit some have mentioned using a U-shaped gasket under the garage door which is what the electrician has said other customers have done. Thoughts?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts