Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
1,001 Posts
Have you seen cat and dog doors? Many of them are lockable from the inside. Then you could charge inside or outside.
I don’t have an attached garage nor am I in a high crime area. Thus my EVSE is outside at the end of the driveway. I guess anyone could charge while I am gone or steal the cable in full view of my neighbors but I imagine that if they need to charge bad it won’t break me.

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
3,513 Posts
...I'm trying to decide whether to mount the ChargePoint in the garage and have the J1772 cord pass through a lockable opening or mount it outside(in the breezeway between the house and garage) with a lockable cover over it....
This was something I went back on forth on, partly for security concerns, partly for aesthetics.

I had settled on an exterior installation (tucked into this "alcove" in the photo) but then realized if I mounted my EVSE anywhere but knee-high, I'd run into constraints getting the cord to the car.

So my last minute inspiration / convenient solution was to separate the charging cord from the EVSE. The cord is as close to the street as it can be. It's about as low the the ground as it can be. The EVSE itself is neatly out of the way inside the garage, not drawing attention to itself. And aesthetically, it's a winner.

Fixture Door Wood Building Window

·
165 Posts
Have you seen cat and dog doors? Many of them are lockable from the inside.
I was going with the lockable to insure that someone reaching an arm though could not open the side/garage door. Mounting on the outside also has to deal with the wood siding as it is an uneven surface. Maybe a cat door as it would be small.

·
165 Posts
So my last minute inspiration / convenient solution was to separate the charging cord from the EVSE. The cord is as close to the street as it can be. It's about as low the the ground as it can be. The EVSE itself is neatly out of the way inside the garage, not drawing attention to itself. And aesthetically, it's a winner.
What kind of box is that? Did you run the output of the charger to that box and then from the box to the J1772?

·
1,001 Posts
I was going with the lockable to insure that someone reaching an arm though could not open the side/garage door. Mounting on the outside also has to deal with the wood siding as it is an uneven surface. Maybe a cat door as it would be small.
As I said, many are set up to be locked from the inside, you don't want stray cats making themselves at home while you are on vacay. The ones for cats are very small and look just like what they are, a common sight in town.

·
3,513 Posts
What kind of box is that? Did you run the output of the charger to that box and then from the box to the J1772?
It's just your garden variety Bell 2-gang weatherproof box like this one.

So yeah, I disconnected the charging cord from the EVSE contactors, basically continued my in-wall wiring run back out of the EVSE and through the wall to this junction box, then spliced the original Clipper Creek charging cord here.

Click on my link in my sig if you're interested and you'll see all the nitty gritty details and photos.

·
165 Posts
It's just your garden variety Bell 2-gang weatherproof box like this one.
Thanks. I'm not sure what impact on the electrician would be trying to do it this way given the electrical codes he must adhere to. He already warned me about using a standard NEMA 14-50 plug(which requires a GFCI) with the ChargePoint as the ChargePoint already has a GFCI built in and this could cause nuisance trips. I'll ask him if I just run the charge cord thru the wall and then thru a weather proof box if there is anything extra that needs to be done to meet code.

·
3,513 Posts
Agreed, it would be a tall ask to hire something like this out. Not to mention the design of the Clipper Creek gave me the leeway to do this -- I have no idea what the innards of your EVSE look like. One of my original options was a in-wall pass through (there are all kinds of options, even lockable ones). I've seen a couple like that in the neighborhood and they seem to work well.

·
Super Moderator
2021 FE Mythos Black
2,370 Posts
I don't like the idea of a door pass-thru. I would much rather have the cable under the door in case of accidental opening.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
3,975 Posts
Brilliant "hybrid EVSE cable" solution, especially given the beautiful aesthetics of your garage doors! (y)
This was something I went back on forth on, partly for security concerns, partly for aesthetics.

I had settled on an exterior installation (tucked into this "alcove" in the photo) but then realized if I mounted my EVSE anywhere but knee-high, I'd run into constraints getting the cord to the car.

View attachment 11666

·
165 Posts
I don't like the idea of a door pass-thru. I would much rather have the cable under the door in case of accidental opening.
The issue I have with the under door solution is that there are woods about fifteen feet in back of the garage. Rather not have an open invitation to the local mouse population.

·
Super Moderator
2021 FE Mythos Black
2,370 Posts
The issue I have with the under door solution is that there are woods about fifteen feet in back of the garage. Rather not have an open invitation to the local mouse population.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts